Poll: What's the first thing you do after you break-up with someone?

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
How is "masturbate furiously" not an option? I just move on fairly rapidly, no point dwelling on a relationship that wasn't worth continuing.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Broke up with my GF a few weeks ago. Started off okay, it was a clean break, 'You're a great friend and a wonderful person, hope we can stay friends' all that crap. Guess it was shock, but she'd had her eyes on another guy for a while, spent a fair bit of money to go over and try fix things. I'd effectively been used and cheated on. Hell, first half of the relationship was me as a rebound. Words don't usually effect me, but when someone I loved tells me they couldn't feel comfortable hugging me (yet they could hug someone else and feel so safe) and they couldn't bear to watch me do things.

I've effectively doing nothing, watching anime, can barely play games for 20 minutes, plagued with nightmares. So yeah, when I break up, I shut down, hole up, chat to people when I can and just lose myself in fiction.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
So sorry to hear it man :( Just hang in there though, you'll leave this a stronger person at least.

Actually was also dumped just before Valentines day, first thing I did was grab my guitar and jam the living daylights out of it. For some reason I always play so much better when I'm angry, haha, guess I should join a dark metal band.

There's just something about angrily playing a music instrument that feels soooo gooood though.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
From the immortal words of Day9:

Eat Ice Cream, because fuck it, you've just been dumped! You're ENTITLED! Awwww, yeaaaah!

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I would imagine the best course of action is to marathon both seasons of Clannad to get all the tears out ASAP then move on. "I may have just broken up with someone, but at least i'm not involved with the trainwreck waiting to happen Nagisa relationship"

By the way, every single one of these types of threads basically reaffirm my decision to just not do romantic relationships at all (smugness level increased to maximum.) Really, try it sometime it's great.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Sory to hear!

I guess all that time must be distributed somewhere.
Hang out with friends, work out, game, go to parties (can be in category "friends" :p).

SO yeah, don't just sit around, that's bad, go do stuff.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010

you listen to that, and then you drink, swallow sadness, cry deeply... you get the idea.

then, once you've done that (which could only take you 5 minutes), do anything else. personally i talked to my best friend, seeing as it came as a huge shock, we walked around for a bit, then i tried the wow trial and became a recluse for a year... best outcome possible i think

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
Chucker said:
So I had a wonderful valentines day of being kicked out of my girlfriends place. Long story short I did see it coming as there is no salvaging a relationship especially, when you can't cheer someone up who is depressed who pushes you away from previous issues.

She has since apologized but as it is indeed over, it does feel like I have to get back to a life without her as the main person I hang around and talk to. So as the title suggests;

I'd love to know what everyone does as the very first thing when the end has arrived, do you text lots of friends? Hit the Ben n Jerry's? Clock up more gaming hours to callus your thumbs/carpel tunnel? Maybe even a YouTube playlist of songs?
Well it would depend on how the break up happened. If it was mutual, then either just not see each other anymore or in one instances I still am friends with one just not ever going to be in a relationship again with her. If it was a bad break up be it my fault or hers well I don't text and any of my friends or girlfriends know this so I don't worry about that so much, but yelling at each other for a while can be tiring and if that happens I usually give up first because I rather just end it than prolong it. If I am not working and feel like shit about the break up I just lay in bed and sleep a lot more to just empty my head, then go out and have a huge meal to cheer me up. Longer the relationship is the more it can hurt when the break up occurs unless the above of both parties agreeing on the break up in my one case. Good luck and there is always someone out there well there has to be with billions of people just likely that perfect one is on the other side of the planet...

UniversalRonin

Nov 14, 2012
I know this makes me a bit of a jerk, but if I've been broken up upon, I normally rebound, get over it and move on again from the rebound.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Sucks buddy, I hope you'll be okay.

OT: jump on the nearest available man?

That sounds horrible, but I mean I've ended my relationships because my past boyfriends were awful. I've always had another man come along and promise me this, that and the other then just end up being the same as the last one.

I didn't rush into the relationship I'm in now but he is by far the greatest boyfriend I've had and hasn't shown me a secret horrible side like the others have.

I don't want to think about it, but if I got dumped today I'd just sleep around instead of looking for a new fella. I didn't get chance to do that through my teens like everyone else did ;;

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
If possible, breakup sex.

Followed by chatting casually in bed for a few hours, before getting hungry and popping down the road for some fast food together.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
Damn, that sounds awful. I'm sorry that happened to you, OP :(

For me, the best thing has been chocolate. The first time I got dumped, I sat and I cried in my room, then my dad brought me up some chocolate milkshake and it made everything seem a bit better. The second boyfriend I had, I'm the one that broke up with him. I sat and I cried for a bit, then I went on to play league of legends feeling a great deal more free and happy than I ever was before. The relationship I'm in at the moment is great, I am happy. In the past I've been cheated on. What makes me angry about them is that I was cheated on then dumped, but I only found out about the cheating long after the relationship ended.

I hate to think of it, but if I got dumped now I'd just go back home, move in with my parents, then go out for dog walks all day and then probably spend the rest of the time playing and hugging my dogs and cats. These things hurt like hell, OP, and I hope you are going to be alright. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to send a message. Time really does heal wounds.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
I drink 'till I drop. Then I drink some more untill I pass out. Then I drink when I wake up. Rinse and repeat for about 4 days.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I fell down the drink and drugs path. If I didn't have some truly stellar friends I probably would have ruined my life. I got the text while I was walking home from a job interview. I recall looking at my phone, and feeling the whole world fall away from me. I'm not the best person to talk to about dealing with a break-up, I have some very self-destructive tendencies.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Wallow in sadness and escape into video games that require focus to play. Be ultra productive. Keep as busy as possible and let time heal wounds without trying to focus on them.

Probably not the healthiest way to handle a situation like this but it's what I do when things are bad.

Chucker

Sep 3, 2008
Thanks for your
Blitsie said:
So sorry to hear it man :( Just hang in there though, you'll leave this a stronger person at least.

Actually was also dumped just before Valentines day, first thing I did was grab my guitar and jam the living daylights out of it. For some reason I always play so much better when I'm angry, haha, guess I should join a dark metal band.

There's just something about angrily playing a music instrument that feels soooo gooood though.
That's pretty awesome it seems like it always helps to have a lil' pain in your art.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
That sucks OP, sorry to hear that.

The good news is that it's the time for indulgence. Go fall back on your friends and stuff. Get them to comfort you and so on. Make them appreciates a heartbroken bloke. Eat, drink, play, whatever rocks your boat. I've never done the rebound sex thing but I don't see why not :p Just don't go on looking for an insta-relationship because you're feeling lonely and need to replicate the comforting feeling of being a couple. It's good you take some time off from emotional involvement.