Poll: Whats up with wearing shoes indoors????

ClunkiestTurtle

Feb 19, 2010
I have never understood this particular custom,

When i go to other peoples houses as i do in my own home i take off my shoes when i come in through the door, out of politeness and to show some respect by not treading my dirty shoes round their home if for no other reason.Then everyone looks at me like i just cut open their dog and started wearing it as a sweater,and ask "dude,what are you doing"

I'm taking off my shoes because this is a HOUSE!!!

I see a clear distinction between the hard, rough, painful surfaces of the outdoors and the nice soft carpeted surfaces of the indoors therefore the time of the shoe has come to an end as i transcend the doorway from the former to the latter. So i will leave them by the door ready to put them back on when i next leave the comfort of the house.

Most of my friends and my girlfriend keep their shoes on and they think i'm the weird one!!!

So i'm putting it out there,whats the 'normal' thing to do, do you take off your shoes when you come home or go to others houses or do you keep them on??

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I take my shoes off, although when I can I like to wear only one sock, I think it's a habit from when I had my ingrown toenail...4times.(twice on each toe)

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I always take my shoes off when I come inside. I don't want all the dirt, snow, road salt, etc. etc. in the house.

T3h Merc

Dec 24, 2008
I just don't like people being near my bed wearing shoes. Otherwise shoes are fine.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
We don't have a "soft carpeted surface" but cold tiles. Especially in winter times it can get quite cold. Hence, when I wear shoes indoors, it's simply to keep my feet warm.

At other people's places... I know why you do it, and it's a perfectly valid reason and I should do it too, but for some reason it just feels wrong.

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
It depends on whose house it is. If it's my house, obviously I take them off - it's more comfortable.
If it's someone else's house, I wait and see if they take off theirs first. It's kinda rude otherwise.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
In my university halls I often wear my shoes; the reason for this is at time the floor can be pretty dodge. Broken glass for alcohol bottles, what I assume was once food (either just starting to go off or vomit) and always just a little bit sticky. The price for a good night out

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I only take my shoes off when i go to someone elses house. I'm just too lazy to take them off.
If i don't go outside then i don't wear shoes inside, i wear slippers.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I prefer keeping my shoes on, but I don't mind taking them off if I notice someone's house has the tradition of leaving them at the door. It's just a preparedness thing to me, like once I put them on I keep 'em on as long as I'm out of the house.

Umberphoenix

Jun 17, 2009
ClunkiestTurtle said:
Most of my friends and my girlfriend keep their shoes on and they think i'm the weird one!!!
So you're saying that everybody who wears their shoes indoors is weird and everybody who doesn't is normal? What is "normal" and "weird", exactly? If "normal" is what everybody else is doing, the it sure is odd for you to not wear your shoes indoors because everybody else you know does it.

I don't wear my shoes indoors a lot, but I do walk to my room and take them off in there.

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
I actually don't know anyone who doesn't take their shoes off indoors...maybe it's a Canadian thing, I dunno.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Shoes indoors are uncomfortable and normally means spreading mud throughout my house.

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
When I get home I put on slippers. Cold hard tiles aren't very pleasant to walk on without footwear.

At other people's houses I keep them on unless they ask to remove them.