Poll: Whats up with wearing shoes indoors????

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
I have hard wood floors and my feet get cold easy so I keep them on and just because I'm too lazy to take them off. All I have to say is I'm not in Japan so my shoes stay on.

Aug 25, 2009
I tend to keep my shoes on, but that's mostly because I don't ever stay round people's house long, and I always wear Doc Martens, so taking them off and putting them back on again is an absolute chore.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Hell i don't even like wearing socks, but going around bare foot in someone elses home can get you weird looks.
As for the shoe thing, it depends on who's house it is really.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
If I'm awake, my feet are generally encased in thick leather and hardened plastic. Inside, outside, wherever.

I do not like not having my combat boots on.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
Well I like to keep my shoes on, ever since my foot got infected from a sand spur wven I was walking around barefoot.

Being in crippling pain was enough to encourage me to keep them on

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
It depends on where you are, obviously.
And who you're with, of course.

I know people who insist on me taking them off right away, and I know people who think bare feet are heresy; just ask them first.

loppopoo

Oct 12, 2009
Honestly I do keep my shoes on, but only because I'm lazy. Oh, and the taking them off because they're dirty? can't you just wipe them off?

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Over here, it is customary to remove your shoes at all time before entering a place of living, unless you are only going inside for like 10 seconds and you either: A: Live there, or B: They tell you to not bother to take off your shoes. At all other times, stomping inside with dirty shoes on is rude.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
In Finland, keeping your shoes on while in someone's home is about as acceptable as smashing the place up.

So that's about it for me.

Edit: Observation: Most of the people who keep their shoes on, a lot of whom are americans, seem to think taking shoes off is only a custom in Japan. Most people who do take their shoes off, seem to think that keeping them off is a purely american thing. The truth may lie somewhere inbetween...

Nicolai

Jan 13, 2009
It seems in general, colder climates with potential snow and mud make taking shoes off a priority. Warmer countries do this far less often. Here in Australia, it'd be seen as pretentious to be the sort of person who had to keep their carpets neat and clean unless there were religious reasons for it. So most houses have shoes on as the norm, partially because of the casual way Australians tend to live.

I've lived in houses with both rules as the norm and frankly, I'd prefer a dirty carpet to having to put up with foot odour, particularly if people have just been out walking somewhere. Some people would rather have their place smell like unwashed feet than have to vacuum more often.

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
messy said:
In my university halls I often wear my shoes; the reason for this is at time the floor can be pretty dodge. Broken glass for alcohol bottles, what I assume was once food (either just starting to go off or vomit) and always just a little bit sticky. The price for a good night out
This. Do not wear shoes in student accommodation at your own risk.
Growing up we always took our shoes off in our house but as of the last few years it's a tradition that has gradually fazed out.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I take them off all the time. My socks, too. Not because of "cleanliness," but they're just so uncomfortable. And loud.

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
I take them off in my own house and my friends houses, except for 2 of my friends houses because they think its weird to take your shoes off at the door, even though its polite.

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
I always thought leaving your shoes on was an american thing. Being canadian, you ALWAYS remove shoes, never met anyone who doesn't. But whenever I see stuff in the states, they always leave shoes on..

masher

Jul 20, 2009
I always try to take off my shoes, unless there's more important matters to attend to at the moment, like something really heavy weighing down my arms, but other than that, off!

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I think its incredibly rude to wear your shoes inside someones house unless they tell you other wise.