Poll: Whats up with wearing shoes indoors????

Guttural Engagement

Feb 17, 2010
It depends on the area you live in; and that house's circumstances. For instance, in Canada; most people take off their shoes (Because we live in a cold environment, we have carpeted floors (In most rooms)and like to keep them clean) - but in the US most people leave their shoes on (Because the majority of people living in America don't have carpeted floors - they usually have wood or tile).

It also depends on the person, the current scenario - and/or the religious customs of the people living in the home (In some religions it's highly offensive to even walk into the house still wearing shoe's (You would have to take them off and carry them inside)).

But overall there is no normal thing to do with your shoes. If your more comfortable with your shoes off in a home, than take them off. Otherwise, keep 'em on.

But anyways - if you are going into someone's house, it's polite to take your shoe's off unless they say it's okay (Even if they do say it's okay; if your shoe's are moderately or more dirty - take them off).

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Reasons people wear shoes indoors:

They plan to go back outdoors
Their feet stink
They don't want to get whatever foot crap you have on your nasty feet.

SlasherX

Jul 8, 2009
Im from the South and its a hospitality thing to take of your shoes if its a visit for more than 5 minutes otherwise your being rude to your host

Indecizion

Aug 11, 2009
i take shoes off before entering the house properly but its like always raining so theyre always wet.

Iznat

Feb 13, 2010
I'm not gonna choose any, 'cause I wear shoes indoors, and I'm not weird :p

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I always taken my shoes off... no need to track dirt in the house. I don't see how someone could be upset over something like that. It just seems like the polite thing to do, is it not?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
I take them off when I feel like it, I make no real distinction between outside and inside for footwear, unless my shoes are muddy.

Space Cowgirl

Oct 21, 2009
I always take my shoes off when I go into my house. Actually, that's the first thing I do even before I set my stuff down if I'm carrying anything. Maybe I'm just weird, but I like to have my shoes on as little as possible.

Kushan101

Apr 28, 2009
Live in the UK (south-east) and I don't know anyone who doesn't take their shoes off indoors. Just seems polite, I'm sure my host doesn't want me walking the crap I've picked up off the streets through their house, in the same way I don't want it in mine.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
I wait intill I'm in my room. Genrally, I take them off in politeness. My freind actually makes people take off their shoe in his room.

His floor is still dirty from cat hair, dirt, & his little brother.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Im a sneakerhead, so I love my kicks. There is no way I would abandon them at the door! I generally won't wear the same pair more then once a week, if that, which means all my shoes are very clean so I have no problem wearing them inside.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
Cakes said:
I actually don't know anyone who doesn't take their shoes off indoors...maybe it's a Canadian thing, I dunno.
no here in canada we take our shoes or boots off(it gets cold up here). i thought leaving ones shoes on was an american thing

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
I dont take my shoes off, i see no need to. If i wake up i dont put them on, but once i put them on i usually dont take them off.

I really dont care, if someone tells me to take off my shoes ill do it, i understand why people do it, but if they dont ask i wont.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Nope, never. I'm shoeless right now actually, but I'm putting shoes on because it's damn cold, and socks just don't cut it. I'll never take off my shoes unless it's bed or a shower, or some weird friend's house.

And sex i guess, but then I can't re-enact that scene from american psycho.
You know the one I mean...

KrakFoxx

Oct 29, 2009
Someone might have already said this, but you shouldn't have an option that also says "im wierd", it's a tad rude but also your opinion of wierd could be different to others'. Although i may be the only one who has a problem with this...(i often keep shoes on, depends if they're dirty)

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
If you were just walking around in the mud, then yes, that's just the right thing to do. But more often than not, the most dirty things our shoes could track into the house is water, which is promptly wiped off (enough to avoid significant tracking, anyway) on a mat before we enter. I don't always wear my shoes in houses, but I do know that, for some people, it's a custom. So you keep doing that. Some people kind of like shoes, and don't see it as a necessity to take them off simply because they're not needed.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
"Oh, excuse me, but in this house we take off our shoes."
"Oh yeah? Well in this house, I leave mine on!"

I jest (and quote), I take them off if it's normal for whatever house I'm in. My house I leave them on (which was an amost alien concept to my friend)