Poll: what's worse,beating up a girl, or getting beat up by a girl?

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Beating up a woman, getting beaten up by anyone it's bad but when it's you commiting the violence that's even worse. Just look at Gandhi, took it all on the chin and kept moving forward.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
icyneesan said:
Beating up a girl. Real men, real 'gentlemen', don't hit a lady. No matter how deserving she is of it.

If a girl is whaling on you, you stand there and take it and stare her down. Or you subdue her using a non-lethal take down move that doesn't involve punching her in the face.

Or be like me, rip off her face, and slaughter her family.
Haven't you heard that "Not every woman is a lady"? A "lady" would never attack someone. Hell, in the time these codes existed it was considered improper for police to investigate spousal and child abuse. How chivalrous were these people? I also really don't get the distinction people are making between "subduing" and punching people.

Shouldn't self defense and reasonable retaliation be the sort of the treatment everyone gets?

Agent_Nahmen_Jayden

Jun 28, 2010
Beating up a girl, if one tries to start shit, you should be more than strong enough to hold her away and restrain her instead of "beating her".

newfiegirl 110

May 10, 2010
Ok..I am the first to admit that I have a temper. I once punched a guy out because he had the audacity to hit my best friend in front of me...wasn't standing for it. Any guy lays hands on me will feel it...I fight dirty.
True story: went away for the weekend with friends. The cabins we stayed at weren't what we had reserved. After seeing the godawful arrangements, we decided to go and ask for our money back...we were leaving. Of the four of us, I was the shortest, but I was pissed. When asked why one of the guys didn't step up, J stated that when I'm riled, he was scared of me. The man is 6'5 to my 5'4 and he's built like a linebacker. Go figure.
Like people have said...it all depends on context.

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
Mimssy said:
Badger Kyre said:
...sounds to me like his problem was he was a pussy who couldn't find anyone ELSE to throw his weight around,
and didn't realize you were THIN ICE.

I bet he drives a big SUV and has monster truck posters up now ;)
I don't understand people who are just looking to get into a fight. The only time I hit someone first is when they threw out a gay slur to my friend and threatened to rape her (because, you know, if she was with a "real man" she wouldn't be a lesbian anymore).
Do you honestly not understand, or just WISH you didn't, and not "relate", so to speak.

I joked, but, not completely joking. there's a running point I was making about Ares vs Athena
( Ares is NOT technically the god of war, per se - but the debate is academic) -
the truth that is the grain of sand in the oyster of THAT jest is simple-

There is, in some, the need for POWER... domination.
I'll be sexist and say that urge is exaggerated in men. The extent is debatable, of course.

There are baser instincts in ALL of us, of course - good and evil.
What is important is which we CHOOSE.

Another base instinct , the one you mentioned just now, is that of intolerance, which could be said to be the natural "us/them" instinct of the tribe...

People get threatened and see you as a "them" if you threaten their world-view too much, especially if it's something personal like their masculinity ( you goddam dykes)

or a favorite example, walking with a lover of a different race.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Getting beaten up by a girl is an issue of pride. Beating one up is an issue of psychology.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
If you strike a woman, no matter what, you have no honor. If she strikes you, you may restrain her, as long as you do not harm her intentionally. Well, that is how I see it.

Taern

Dec 22, 2008
Getting beaten up. If it were a male, same thing. I won't let my pride take a hit like that.

Badger Kyre

Aug 25, 2010
newfiegirl 110 said:
Ok..I am the first to admit that I have a temper. I once punched a guy out because he had the audacity to hit my best friend in front of me...wasn't standing for it. Any guy lays hands on me will feel it...I fight dirty.
True story: went away for the weekend with friends. The cabins we stayed at weren't what we had reserved. After seeing the godawful arrangements, we decided to go and ask for our money back...we were leaving. Of the four of us, I was the shortest, but I was pissed. When asked why one of the guys didn't step up, J stated that when I'm riled, he was scared of me. The man is 6'5 to my 5'4 and he's built like a linebacker. Go figure.
Like people have said...it all depends on context.
My ex, before we dated, came out of a club to find her boyfriend's band getting the snot kicked out of them by the skinheads ( just because you're in a band, doesn't mean ya GOt to run your mouth, does it...?)
She charged in, KNOCKED OUT one with a single insane punch, and stood toe-to-toe with another while her friends jumped in.

What do all these stories illustrate? Lotsa things, of course.
But the "core" of this thread is still pointing at the remaining stigma of the chivalrous/sexist expectations and gender roles.

You, or Xtine, or the other poster, Mimmssy, are still the exception, rather than the rule - but it does people like me good in our black little hearts to know that such "thin ice" exists for those assholes who want to throw their weight round when they think it's safe.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Beating up a girl unprovoked < Letting yourself get beat up by a girl < Getting beat up by a girl < Beating up a girl in self defence

The first makes you a gutless coward.
The second is just stupid and old fashioned.
The third is kinda lame, unless she's clearly stronger than you, or has some form of martial arts training.

There's nothing wrong with the fourth one. Women are supposed to be treated equally, just like all races, sexualities and so on. If a woman is attacking you, you have every right to defend yourself by whatever means necessary.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
XSA37 said:
Beating up a girl. If you get beat up, that's not a big deal. But, if you beat someone, that's just wrong. Beyond belief.
So abuse is ok when is girl on guy?

I'm taking the third option. ABUSE IS ABUSE! IT IS ALWAYS EQUITY WRONG! ANYONE THAT SAYS DIFFERENT IS FUCKING STUPID!

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Beating up anyone is a dick move so the answer should be obvious.

As for being beat up by a girl. God, if you're that worried about how other people see you then just say you didn't fight back because it was a girl. It's win-win.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
Terminalchaos said:
InnerRebellion said:
If you strike a woman, no matter what, you have no honor. If she strikes you, you may restrain her, as long as you do not harm her intentionally. Well, that is how I see it.
I see that as sexist- equal rights means equal treatment. Just like a woman that hits her boyfriend should be considered a domestic abuser same as a man that initiates. whatever party initiates violence is the abuser IMO.

As a survivor of female on male domestic abuse I can tell you its not funny. And neither was the sexist treatment I received from the authorities- they show up during an argument- I had bruises on me- she hadn't been hit once- they took me in. Some cops just need to be fired.
I am in no way a sexist. I merely said that is how I see it. If my girlfriend were to hit me, I would not hit back, I would merely restrain and attempt to calm her. It's an honor thing for me, because hitting a girl is a horrible act in my opinion, and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Agent_Nahmen_Jayden

Jun 28, 2010
Terminalchaos said:
Agent_Nahmen_Jayden said:
Beating up a girl, if one tries to start shit, you should be more than strong enough to hold her away and restrain her instead of "beating her".
Depends upon the woman, depends upon the man- not all of us are alike.
True, but then the alternative happens and you get beat up. :D

You know forget I said anything... I need no reasoning!

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
saintchristopher said:
I don't care if she is kicking your ass 8 ways from Sunday; YOU DON'T HIT GIRLS.
You are an idiot! So abuse is ok if it's girl on guy. I hope you get the living shit beat out of you by an abusive girl and is put in the hospital. You probably will not be able to defend yourself legality and you won't defend yourself physical. Because if you try, you most likely get sued.

The domestic abuse laws are screwed up in the worst fucked up ways you you only make it worst. The only way to show you the truth is if your victimize or your close friend/family member suffers from it.

Blair Bennett

Jan 25, 2008
Serge A. Storms said:
Well, if a girl does beat you up, chances are she started by kicking you in the nuts
Am I the only one somewhat offended by this? I didn't spend half my life learning how to defend myself to be reduced to nothing more than a manipulator of biology.

From what I've seen, the general consensus here is that, providing the woman in question is either acting with the intention of causing serious bodily injury, or genuinely deserves it, all events that occur afterwards are fair game. This is something I agree with. If a woman decides to enter a physical fight with a person and that person is male, she is not doing so without the knowledge that, biologically, men are stronger on average. There is no more shame in either beating or being beaten by a man or a woman.

That being said, a study of martial arts has taught me that size matters even less than people might think. I've seen many a 6', 180 lb athlete get their asses kicked by people a little over half of that, and it was due to transfer of kinetic energy, accuracy, speed, and reaction time.

Having made this point, I'd like to point out that, though I would gladly accept a beating provided that I had legitimately been bested in physical competition, and I would do so as quickly as I would defend myself to the best of my ability if the situation demanded, senselessly assaulting anyone is nothing to be proud of, regardless of gender.