Poll: Whats your favourite GTA game and why? Also how could it be improved on?

Randomorific

Feb 24, 2011
Sorry if this has already been done but I havent seen it if it has.
Pretty self explanatory really, please make sure to add why the game is your favourite of the series. Please dont base your argument solely around improved graphics, for example dont say "GTA 4 is better than Vice City becuase the environment looks nicer". Also I classify GTA 4 and its expansion seperately as the story in the expansions is different and there is a different protagonist so please dont argue GTA 4 becuase of its expansions. Also give some criticism of the game and suggest how it could be better.

Personally I feel that San Andreas is the best one of the series from those I have played (Vice City, SA and 4), I recently started replaying it and Im enjoying it hugely. I think its better than others because it has huge arsing around value, it has a massive map where each section has its own unique feel and the lack of a fast travel system only serves to make the game feel even bigger. It also deosnt take itself too seriously and both the dialogue and the radio stations are very funny, even after I've heard the same lines about 20 times. Theres also lots of variation in the missions and CJ is a likeable protagonist.

Improvements: There isnt really much variation in the style or speed of cars, particularly around Los Santos where all the cars seem to have the same speed. It takes a bit too long to get hold of planes (legally) and your choice of vehicle in the countryside is 4x4, crappy motorbike, campervan or tractor. Also it takes a bit too long to unlock the 3rd island and Las Venturas itself is pretty crap in comparison to the other cities. Finally there are no mid mission checkpoints, something which becomes painfully apparent in the later missions.

EDIT: Sorry for not listing some of the games in the series but there wasnt enough space on the poll for all of them.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
GTA4

Simply because it's the only GTA game with decent controls. Maybe the silky smooth controls of the current generation have spoiled me, but I tried to replay San Andreas a few years back and it felt like I had cerebral palsy.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
GTA4

Simply because it's the only GTA game with decent controls. Maybe the silky smooth controls of the current generation have spoiled me, but I tried to replay San Andreas a few years back and it felt like I had cerebral palsy.
eah that game could have really done without it's rpg elements. You really have to grind each vehicle and weapons skills before you can really get anywhere.

I remember so much console stomping frustration until I could lock on with SMGs and actually turn a corner in a car without spinning out. Which is a pity because its ridiculous story and occasional hilarious story mission were the best of the series. That said when it did click God did I have some fun.

GTA4 really lacked the joy of stealing a learjet, parachuting out and falling towards a mission area guns blazing.

And driving through that countryside with that rockin' soundtrack in what actually felt like a muscle car only to hit a slightly lumpy bit of terrain causing you to flip fifty feet into the air did feel special. It's really something that dodging pedestrians in Not Times Square so you can watch Ricky Gervais' do stand-up can't really hope to match.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
ACman said:
Casual Shinji said:
GTA4

eah that game could have really done without it's rpg elements. You really have to grind each vehicle and weapons skills before you can really get anywhere.

I remember so much console stomping frustration until I could lock on with SMGs and actually turn a corner in a car without spinning out. Which is a pity because its ridiculous story and occasional hilarious story mission were the best of the series. That said when it did click God did I have some fun.

GTA4 really lacked the joy of stealing a learjet, parachuting out and falling towards a mission area guns blazing.

And driving through that countryside with that rockin' soundtrack in what actually felt like a muscle car only to hit a slightly lumpy bit of terrain causing you to flip fifty feet into the air did feel special. It's really something that dodging pedestrians in Not Times Square so you can watch Ricky Gervais' do stand-up can't really hope to match.
The playful craziness of San Andreas was terrific as was Samual Jackson, but the controls, oy vey! I have that "Mansion Storming Mssion By Parachute" scorched into my brain because of the shear repeats.

Then again, I can't play the Jak and Daxter games anymore either. It's still one of my favourite series but the contols are just dreadful compared to current gen.

Dec 16, 2009
BoGT for me, really enjoyed it. a homosexual lead in a game who is written well made a nice change, n Luis was a fun character to play.
Would be fun to see them open a bar in modern day vice city.
after the release of GTA3 hadnt there been alot more games released in the series by now? GTAIV only seems to have Lib City stories so far (excluding hand helds) and i've found no news on further GTAIV titles.

i would like the loop the radio stations are on to be increased, since we;re talkin improvements

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im gonna go with vice city, the whole 80s thing really works well for gta games

MCDeltaT

Aug 18, 2009
San Andreas, big world, lots of fun, strange things happen(I almost got hit by a biplane whilst cycling up whatsitsname mountain), and some quite serious undertones to it's story.

To improve it I would say better multiplayer. It sucked having a race across the map only to get stopped because you pulled too far ahead.

universaltraveller

Apr 28, 2011
I had to go with other, as you didn't put GTA 3 in the voting system thingy. It is by far the best, also it was awesome to play in 3D after playing the classic games...

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I loved Vice City, it was crazy and over the top. It was like a predecessor to the Saints Row games.

godevit

Nov 21, 2008
Vice City.... ridding the bike on the coast with all the colorful lights of the hotels and 80's pop music can it be better? (yes it can you are being chased by 3 cop cars)

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
Gta 4, great controls and first time i actually enjoyed following the story and doing missions instead of just jerking around.
Gta 3 and San Andreas were great too, but didn't like Vice City tho.

Also Gta 1 has certain classic status for me always, it just hasn't aged well and i would not even want to touch it nowadays.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
GTA3 was a bit too basic, I never got that far into San Andreas (though that game was awesome as far as I could tell, the size of it was truly epic), and I never played GTA4. Vice City is hands down my favorite, because the setting was great.

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
Vice City for me. GTA 4 was such a huge let down for me but it did help me discover Saints Row 2 :D

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I think I should vote GTA3 as I think I got most hours out of that. I really loved it.
Though San Andreas was also wonderful because of the giant area and just massive fun it had.
And I loved GTA4. It's so hard to choose!

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Gta Vice City, i would say. It's simply fun and very very Atmospheric, wich is by far what newest GTAs lack. Besides i love the 70's & 80's so good ol' Vice city is right up my alley.
Gta San Andreas was very good too, with an expanded gameplay, huuuge map, lots of easter eggs and such, but it was a little too brown, but not because of racism, because it was simply too dark at times, and im not talking about the story or characters, im talking about the overall world.
Compared to Vice City's Wacky funny colorful graphics it just couldn't have the same impact.

The Elcor Batman

Jun 9, 2011
Vice City is my favourite. Fantastic setting, great characters, and who could forget the awesome music, V-Rock being a personal favourite.

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
GTA2 it was wacky, fast and fucked up. Just like a true GTA should be.
If i would have to pick a 3D one , the only one that decently cought the spirit of the games was Vice City. (and i loooooove the 80's)

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
San Andreas.
The gangsta story didn't bother me when I was a kid(think I was around 13-14 when I bought the game), but looking back on it I'd probably be pretty put off by it these days. Driving around on a cross in the countryside was still awesome - and that's why I love it.

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
GTA 2 isn't listed... that's my favourite.

To all you people who don't know about *pushes hipster glasses up* there is one, it's just pretty obscure. Birdseye view, like the first.

JC123

Apr 10, 2008
San Andreas. Vice City had great atmosphere but horrible missions, GTA IV had the controls and looks (especially with the HD mod) but not the atmosphere or likeability. Improving the controls, updating the graphics, bringing the islands closer and killing off those damn planes would make it damn near perfect.

Oh, and hot coffee for everyone!