Poll: What's your favourite race in Skyrim

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
I like how you completely ignored both the beast races, one of which happens to be my preferred race. But seeing as I can't have that I will go with the good old Dunmer.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Argonians.

Regardless of most modders being as lazy to not fix their helmets and many forgetting tail support in animation packs.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Breton = Nothing really special

High elf = Elves look strange

Imperials = Nothing really special

FOR THE NORDS = Nothing really special

Wood elf = Elves look strange

Redguard = Nothing really special

Orc = Elves look strange

Dark elf = Elves look strange

Khajiit = I'm not into furries

Argonian = WATER BREATHING, *****

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Skyrim was the first Elder Scrolls where I felt compelled to go with a particular race for thematic reasons. I think this is largely because outside of a few powers, there are no longer any significant differences between races/genders. If you further consider the weakness of Magic with respect to literally any weapon in the long run, and further consider the simple utility of starting with a high resistance to a particularly common damage type most choices were simply inferior to Nord.

Argonian water breathing for example was hardly useful given the relative rarity of water of significant depth and the general lack of water hazards in the game. After exploring 200 locations, I don't recall ever even needing a potion of water breathing for the sake of safety. Bonuses to archery are much the same. It takes so long for archery to really come into its own as a viable primary weapon that choosing a Wood Elf seems silly. Sure, in the long run you can fire cruise missiles of murder that can one hit anything shy of a powerful dragon with ease, but for the first 20 hours using a Bow alone is a dangerous gamble.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
At first I picked a Nord mainly because of the game being on Skyrim

However on my second playthrough I picked a Breton because of how Talos is made up of a Imperial, a Nord, and a Breton, and because Tullius, an Imperal, Ulfric, a nord, and the dovahkiin become talos at the end of the Civil war.

Breton only makes sense to complete the mythic trinity yet again.

Tullius, Ulfric, Dovahkiin = Talos 2.0. Becoming a god at the end of the civil war was such a epic mind-rape story moment I know 99.99% of people will miss.

I can't play anything but Breton anymore due to wanting to keep the mythic trinity together for Lorkhan's new incarnation.

Meta-gaming FTW.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
It's not specific to Skyrim, but my favorite race in The Elder Scrolls is the Dunmer. First, their society was marvelously fleshed out in Morrowind. Second, they make agile warriors and spellswords. Finally, I like playing as a cursed race. Dark Elf: meaning interchangeably dark skinned, gloomy, or ill-favored by fate.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
SajuukKhar said:
At first I picked a Nord mainly because of the game being on Skyrim

However on my second playthrough I picked a Breton because of how Talos is made up of a Imperial, a Nord, and a Breton, and because Tullius, an Imperal, Ulfric, a nord, and the dovahkiin become talos at the end of the Civil war.

Tullius, Ulfric, Dovahkiin = Talos 2.0. Becoming a god at the end of the civil war was such a epic mind-rape story moment I know 99.99% of people will miss.

I can't play anything but Breton anymore due to wanting to keep the mythic trinity together for Lorkhan's new incarnation.

Meta-gaming FTW.
I did look at the Statue of Talos and the Shrine of Akatosh like you mentioned. I wasn't sure what to make of the similarity, so I googled it. Very interesting bit of lore, there. Is there somewhere I can read an explanation of becoming Talos? It sounds interesting but it went over my head, to be honest.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Rooster Cogburn said:
I did look at the Statue of Talos and the Shrine of Akatosh like you mentioned. I wasn't sure what to make of the similarity, so I googled it. Very interesting bit of lore, there. Is there somewhere I can read an explanation of becoming Talos? It sounds interesting but it went over my head, to be honest.
Whats even more funny is to look at the stained glass windows depicting akatosh in Oblivion

He has two heads, one of a man one of a dragon, to represent his dual nature with Lorkhan god of man.

nasteypenguin

Mar 2, 2011
Since oblivion and Morrowind my first character has always been a Nord!

SajuukKhar said:
Talos is made up of a Imperial, a Nord, and a Breton, and because Tullius, an Imperal, Ulfric, a nord, and the dovahkiin become talos at the end of the Civil war.

Did... did Bethesda mean to do this? it sounds like a stupid question but it just seems like they would have made a bigger deal about it ingame, if only to try and show off. I've probably missed something but even though the lore is good, the elder scrolls have never had the best story telling in the world.
It's just, to me, this seems like a happy coincidence more than effective writing... credit where credits due though; it makes the ending a lot more meaningful, props to Bethesda if they did consciously write it.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Either Nords or Bretons. Both because of their special abilities. You can't really do much better then absorbing Magika and totally blowing off 50% of frost damage.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Argonian all the way. Makes for an excellent thief with natural water breathing. Made almost all my escapes from bears by diving into a lake and swimming like Michael Phelps on crack.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Where are the freaking Argonians? Those things are awesome, them or the Khajiit I can never really decide.

Walkchalk

Nov 9, 2009
I am noticing a distinct lack of Argonian in your poll, which I view as quite a serious issue. Quite serious indeed.