Poll: When will world of warcraft die?

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
As much as I hate the topic here, it should happen. World of Warcraft has been going on for more than 5 years, has the graphics and engine of the previous generation's systems, and other than fueling Blizzard with embarrassing amounts of cocaine money, has no real purpose in gaming anymore.

It was a fun romp through the beautiful forests, and interesting terrain when I played, but was considerably better when 60 was the cap, still fun, but slightly tedious when 70 was the cap, and now feels like it's moving into Sonic and Mario land with WOTLK and Cata. Wow really needs to die.

Not that we should remove blizzard's massive money erection, but maybe they should make a sequel, with a better engine, or maybe they should take starcraft into MMO land, or maybe they should do something else other than spend 90% of their funds on making this game shine. Warcraft 3 and WOW are all they've done over the past decade and it wasn't until a year or two ago that they said "Oh by the way! We're also probably maybe working on trying to begin to start a possible sequel to Diablo2 and Starcraft possibly maybe..."

So, when do you think will Blizzard sever the line between themselves and WOW? Will it still be going in a decade, or do you (like me) feel that the new expansions and patches are needless polishes on a game that's worn down and old?

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I'll send you an application that measures the temperature of satan's fireplace. When it is below 32 F (0 C) you will know WoW is dead. A cookie for anyone who knows where I got that line! (not an exact quote but very close; it is exact up until I also give the celcius equivalent temperature)

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
WoW will end when either
A) People stop paying Blizzard to play it, or
B) Blizzard shuts down the WoW servers.

And why should any game need to die? If it provides people with entertainment, then what harm is it doing?

Hoppetussa

Sep 24, 2008
As long as they release expansions for it, it will live forever.

And it's been five years already? Wow.
...No pun intended.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
How should I know? /sarcasm

Its doing well and making a lot of money, it will die when Blizzard fells like it.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Oh shut up, as long as people like the game it can go on as long as it likes.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
It'll die when I play a BRAND NEW FPS Duke Nukem Game. Preferably Duke Nukem Forever...

Yeah, I'm still betting on Duke...

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Dark Templar said:
Pretty much what I was going to say, minus the shut up.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
WoW cant, and musnt die. i couldnt see the difficulty in Blizzard just making a better engine in Cataclysm, but right now they insist on being assholes and give us easier and easier content. hopefully Icecrown Citadel will be on difficulty level with The Raid Destroyer or Old-School Naxx...

when i first entered this thread, i´d thought of some random newcomer bathing WoW in a shitstorm, but i was wrong.

i atleast hope that they will add some higher difficulty to the Instances and Raids, but i dont think it will die until the raid instance The Palace of Sargeras has been beaten for good.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
On December 21 2012. Yes, the Mayan callendar was referring to World of Warcraft and not to our world.

Spitfire175

Jul 1, 2009
Hoppetussa said:
As long as they release expansions for it, it will live forever.
Nope. If they keep releasing even more expansions, there will be no new players. Starting is so damn expensive and hard that the numbers of new players have dropped dramatically. The older players will quit eventually.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tehweave said:
As much as I hate the topic here, it should happen. World of Warcraft has been going on for more than 5 years, has the graphics and engine of the previous generation's systems, and other than fueling Blizzard with embarrassing amounts of cocaine money, has no real purpose in gaming anymore.

It was a fun romp through the beautiful forests, and interesting terrain when I played, but was considerably better when 60 was the cap, still fun, but slightly tedious when 70 was the cap, and now feels like it's moving into Sonic and Mario land with WOTLK and Cata. Wow really needs to die.

Not that we should remove blizzard's massive money erection, but maybe they should make a sequel, with a better engine, or maybe they should take starcraft into MMO land, or maybe they should do something else other than spend 90% of their funds on making this game shine. Warcraft 3 and WOW are all they've done over the past decade and it wasn't until a year or two ago that they said "Oh by the way! We're also probably maybe working on trying to begin to start a possible sequel to Diablo2 and Starcraft possibly maybe..."

So, when do you think will Blizzard sever the line between themselves and WOW? Will it still be going in a decade, or do you (like me) feel that the new expansions and patches are needless polishes on a game that's worn down and old?
No, no, no, no, no. No on all counts.

Take off the nostalgia goggles. The game is so much better now than it ever was. The content is more cleverly designed and more interesting, the Phasing mechanic is a brilliant touch for MMOs that I can't believe wasn't ever implemented before, the story itself is so much more competently laid out than ever before, there's infinitely more options for people other than "raid," "kill yourself and take three weeks off from work to hit Grand Marshal / High Warlord in PvP" and "suck horribly." With Cataclysm, they're reworking all the old content that to be frank sucked, to make it not suck as hard.

Diablo 3 has been in the works since 2003. StarCraft II has been in the works since Frozen Throne shipped in 2001. They have their unannounced MMO under development and the rumored fifth project.

There is no reason to make a sequel (when, say, they could just keep upgrading the game like they already are). It would split the game's population in two, offer little to no benefit to either Blizzard OR the players. A new graphics engine would be incredibly foolish - one of the reasons WoW is so popular is that it can run decently well even on crappy machines thanks to the engine's scalability. Optimization and brilliant art design keep the game looking good even with an aging engine, and the few people who would actually benefit from a complete graphics overhaul are way outnumbered by the people who would get screwed over by it.

WoW will die when it dies, and nothing will "kill" it. Ultima Online is still alive. EverQuest and Dark Age of Camelot are still alive. Someday, something will dethrone WoW, but until that day, it stands at number one for very good reasons.

Man, if I had a dime for every time someone made another one of these posts...

Christemo said:
WoW cant, and musnt die. i couldnt see the difficulty in Blizzard just making a better engine in Cataclysm, but right now they insist on being assholes and give us easier and easier content. hopefully Icecrown Citadel will be on difficulty level with The Raid Destroyer or Old-School Naxx...

when i first entered this thread, i´d thought of some random newcomer bathing WoW in a shitstorm, but i was wrong.

i atleast hope that they will add some higher difficulty to the Instances and Raids, but i dont think it will die until the raid instance The Palace of Sargeras has been beaten for good.
I couldn't disagree more. It's absolutely ludicrous for Blizzard to waste 75% of their design resources on content 5% of their playerbase will ever actually see. Their current strategy - easy raid content so that everybody gets to experience the climactic fight against Arthas, while those who like challenges get advanced hard modes for better gear, titles, and e-peen celebration.

If you want a challenge, start on Hard Mode from the beginning. But depriving everybody else from the content by making it too difficult to be accessible is frankly moronic, and looking back on it, it's really "Man, how did Blizzard EVER think that was a good idea?"

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
When people stop finding it fun, if it is still going in a few years (after I might have time again) I might check it out again

That or when Diablo Online/Starcraft Online come out ;)

Zen Lancer

Sep 3, 2009
Well, I mean if it was still making me money, I can't imagine a lot of people stopping XD

archvile93 said:
I'll send you an application that measures the temperature of satan's fireplace. When it is below 32 F (0 C) you will know WoW is dead. A cookie for anyone who knows where I got that line! (not an exact quote but very close; it is exact up until I also give the celcius equivalent temperature)
Well, it took me a couple minutes of some Google power searching through similar items, but my cookie money is on:
http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2008-06-24/

Hmm got one's with M&M's?

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
How long is a piece of string? You can't measure when a franchise will die, particularly one as obscenely popular as WoW.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
Search bar approved. I didn't see any other posts like it today.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Dark Templar said:
I agree. World of Warcraft is fine as it is and as long as it's providing entertainment it's fine as is.
tehweave said:
Not that we should remove blizzard's massive money erection, but maybe they should make a sequel, with a better engine, or maybe they should take starcraft into MMO land, or maybe they should do something else other than spend 90% of their funds on making this game shine.
"Why do we create sequels for persistent worlds?"
Perhaps you should read "Publisher's Note: If They Are Persistent, Why Do They Need Sequels?" here on the escapist...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
tehweave said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Search bar approved. I didn't see any other posts like it today.
Like it "today," maybe.

I'm not going to lock it, but really. We get this topic weekly. It was more a personal "Ugh, not this again" than anything actually having to do with moderation, if that makes you feel any better :p