Poll: When will world of warcraft die?

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
A few months after WoW 2 comes out. Considering the production times for Blizzard games is a few years, it will probably be out a little after 2020.
Edit: Why does everyone hate Cataclysm? Guild Wars irritated me by making a sequel; I'd rather have a steady stream of expansion packs.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Given that WoW has only recently seen any decline in membership, I'd say that you're looking at least another few years. Plus, every major content release pulls in the old guard (those that have played the game to the end, or at least close) for a few months.

Given that no game has dramatically changed the WoW format of MMORPG just yet, I'd say we can still see strong interest there. And, dirty as it makes me feel, I think WoW was the game I actually enjoyed the most. Sure, I loved eve and played it for years, but looking back I seem to recall long stretches of annoyance, rage and boredom.

KhaosElement

May 14, 2009
Spitfire175 said:
If they keep releasing even more expansions, there will be no new players. Starting is so damn expensive and hard that the numbers of new players have dropped dramatically. The older players will quit eventually.
Agree. I made the mistake of making a new character recently, and maybe it's just my server - but the lowbie population isn't there any more. Getting a Dead Mines group together isn't possible anymore. When you DO, it's all hardcore newbs that want the hunter's pet to tank.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Zen Lancer said:
Well, I mean if it was still making me money, I can't imagine a lot of people stopping XD

archvile93 said:
I'll send you an application that measures the temperature of satan's fireplace. When it is below 32 F (0 C) you will know WoW is dead. A cookie for anyone who knows where I got that line! (not an exact quote but very close; it is exact up until I also give the celcius equivalent temperature)
Well, it took me a couple minutes of some Google power searching through similar items, but my cookie money is on:
http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2008-06-24/

Hmm got one's with M&M's?
You're right! Congratulations! Here is your cookie with M & M's. I didn't think anyone would get that. It just seemed hard to believe someone would remember the one correct Dilbert strip.

CrysisMcGee

Sep 2, 2009
Companies follow the money. When they have a better way to make it, they do it. WoW will only die when it's popularity dies. Though it would be nice for them to make a sequel. The Graphics definetley need an update.

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Eventually a new WOW will come for some reason but while profit is to be made from the current game there is no death in near sight.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Heart of Darkness said:
WoW will end when either
A) People stop paying Blizzard to play it, or
B) Blizzard shuts down the WoW servers.

And why should any game need to die? If it provides people with entertainment, then what harm is it doing?
Pretty much this. I find the graphics argument to be laughable. Case in point, Wii sales or Nintendo DS sales vs Xbox 360 or PS3. Graphics aren't a reason to kill a game. Lack of fun is, so as long as WoW is fun, it will live.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
tehweave said:
As much as I hate the topic here, it should happen.
And it does, and it does, and it does...

tehweave said:
And it World of Warcraft has been going on for more than 5 years, has the graphics
Which are fine

tehweave said:
and engine of the previous generation's systems
Yes. And it's tried, tested and still works.

tehweave said:
and other than fueling Blizzard with embarrassing amounts of cocaine money, has no real purpose in gaming anymore.
...What does this mean?

tehweave said:
It was a fun romp through the beautiful forests, and interesting terrain when I played, but was considerably better when 60 was the cap, still fun, but slightly tedious when 70 was the cap, and now feels like it's moving into Sonic and Mario land with WOTLK and Cata. Wow really needs to die.
I've read this several times, and I still have no idea what "cata" is. And by Sonic and Mario land, do you mean the ungodly ammount of sequels, the bright and colourful zones or the fact it's better in 2D? None of them apply here.

tehweave said:
Not that we should remove blizzard's massive money erection, but maybe they should make a sequel, with a better engine, or maybe they should take starcraft into MMO land, or maybe they should do something else other than spend 90% of their funds on making this game shine. Warcraft 3 and WOW are all they've done over the past decade and it wasn't until a year or two ago that they said "Oh by the way! We're also probably maybe working on trying to begin to start a possible sequel to Diablo2 and Starcraft possibly maybe..."
World of Warcraft is still popular and relevant, so it makes sense for Blizzard to pump money into it. Diablo and Starcraft will never be as mainstream as World of Warcraft has become - hell, it's even getting what may be the first good video game movie that's anything like the source material or features an actual game!

tehweave said:
So, when do you think will Blizzard sever the line between themselves and WOW? Will it still be going in a decade, or do you (like me) feel that the new expansions and patches are needless polishes on a game that's worn down and old?
Seeing as I've already pointed out that it's not worn down, or old, I'm fairly sure it doesn't need to die. Maybe we need less people worrying about games they don't play?

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
Chipperz said:

tehweave said:
It was a fun romp through the beautiful forests, and interesting terrain when I played, but was considerably better when 60 was the cap, still fun, but slightly tedious when 70 was the cap, and now feels like it's moving into Sonic and Mario land with WOTLK and Cata. Wow really needs to die.
I've read this several times, and I still have no idea what "cata" is. And by Sonic and Mario land, do you mean the ungodly ammount of sequels, the bright and colourful zones or the fact it's better in 2D? None of them apply here.
Cataclysm, the upcoming expansion for World of Warcraft.

Neur0t0xin

Apr 22, 2009
Remember, Everquest is still going. That's all that needs to be said on the life cycle of MMOs.

On a semi-related note, So long as NC keep the GW servers up for a few more years, I'll be happy. Saying that, I'll probably get GW2 when it's eventually released. Content transferring? Sounds good to me!

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
tehweave said:
As much as I hate the topic here, it should happen. World of Warcraft has been going on for more than 5 years, has the graphics and engine of the previous generation's systems, and other than fueling Blizzard with embarrassing amounts of cocaine money, has no real purpose in gaming anymore.

Not that we should remove blizzard's massive money erection, but maybe they should make a sequel, with a better engine, or maybe they should take starcraft into MMO land, or maybe they should do something else other than spend 90% of their funds on making this game shine. Warcraft 3 and WOW are all they've done over the past decade and it wasn't until a year or two ago that they said "Oh by the way! We're also probably maybe working on trying to begin to start a possible sequel to Diablo2 and Starcraft possibly maybe..."

So, when do you think will Blizzard sever the line between themselves and WOW? Will it still be going in a decade, or do you (like me) feel that the new expansions and patches are needless polishes on a game that's worn down and old?
What on earth do you mean 'has no purpose'? It provides entertainment to millions of players, how is that not a worthy purpose? It doesn't need to die, you just don't like it anymore. To be honest, that's pretty arrogant and silly.

Cilliandrew

Jul 10, 2009
Eh the Goblin/Worgen invasion will spark lowbie toons again with Cataclysm.

I find it all depends on the day, as to whether you'll find people leveling low level alts or no. Some days i have no problem putting together runs for SM, ZF, ST and the like.

TheHitcher

Sep 9, 2009
WoW ends when Blizzard wants it to end - basically when they pull the plug.

They have enough people playing to run a fairly large country. But they manage to keep things fresh with the ridiculous amount of content and tweaks they add.

BladeOfAkriloth

Jun 30, 2009
Wow dies the month i get my hand on a RPG 7, 5 kilos of C4 and a 5-man team of wow-hating cooks.... Ak-74's would be a nice touch for the style.....

Just kidding... or maybe not!... or maybe i am.......... OR MAYBE NOT!!!

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
CantFaketheFunk

Hits the nail on the head.

I've played MMOs for years now, and have played WoW for a while. It's so easy to look back with rose-color-lenses on the grindy-nature these games use to have. I remember grinding out level 59 on my first character...but shudder to think of grinding out lvl 79 without quests.

I constantly debate with a friend who still plays EQ and UO (on player shards) about pros and cons of what WoW has done. Basically it breaks down to him not liking how the genera has expanded to incorporate more people - aka 'dumbing down content'. Where as I say it's brilliant having a larger community of gamers to interact with, along with game mechanics that are just make the game more fun (just look at how diverse the bosses were in the WoTLK dungeons). Sure now you can just blow through them, but the first time I fought the final boss in Drak'Tharon or Old Kingdom I was blown away - haha I still remember kiting the group around my earthbind totem until I realized it was fake.

TL;DR - WoW does a great number of things right, but some could argue a great deal wrong. In the end Blizzard makes money off of it, and people keep playing and enjoying it...that's what games are suppose to do for both parties.

naab

Jun 4, 2009
When the individuals who play WoW have children or other things to live for.

As long as we (yes i am a WoW veteran) don't have any pressing responsibilities we play WoW.

As for me, I got a girl friend a full time and part time job several years ago. I'm so happy I stopped while it was good.