Poll: When will world of warcraft die?

Sexy Street

Sep 15, 2009
Really, Cat. should be the end of WoW. People really haven't noticed but WoW is following the story. First, level 60. Onyxia, being a dragon god or something, was the lead to Illidan who is working for the Lich King. Go to Illidan in BC and then go to the Lich King. The next one (Blackwing or whatever) is actually one of the great villians in WoW so they are going to let you fight him and I think that is where the series of WoW is going to end. Either that or they will keep going on, but I'll still play... sorry I am brainwashed.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Blizzard is a business... people go into business to make money... they make money by providing goods and services that people are willing to pay for... people pay for those goods and services if they like them.... they like the goods and services for diverse reasons.

So...

If people stop liking WoW they will stop paying for it, and Blizzard will not make money off of it, so Blizzard will stop providing it.

Simple as that.

As it turns out, a lot of people like it. As soon as they don't, it will "die".

If you don't like it, that's your call, and you've cast your vote by not playing it. If you do play it, then you are actually contributing to its continued existence. You can't convince people to not like something based on your reasons for not liking it because... well, they aren't you.

Aunel

May 9, 2008
Rex Dark said:
On December 21 2012. Yes, the Mayan callendar was referring to World of Warcraft and not to our world.
hear hear.
I tip my hat to you, sir, for this is the best apocalypse line ever.

Wing0fSilver

Oct 12, 2009
Let it stand that, while I voted that it will last forever, I don't appreciate, approve of, like, or tolerate WoW.

ShwimShwam

Sep 28, 2009
I think one of the reasons WoW is so prevalent is 'cause of the fact that it isn't Aion; it doesn't try to be the prettiest game in the world. Not everyone has a rig that can run Crysis, and WoW doesn't need one. I've known people that play WoW on 200$ PCs, if not less. I mean, it doesn't look fantastic, but it's playable.

WoW is a decent way to waste some time, and since Blizz is catering to the casual players, you don't really need to spend your entire life on the game. As long as it's casual, I don't see WoW dying any time in the near future.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
It will end next sunday when i send a virus onto its mainframe and then when someone logs on they get a nice healthy dose of compter exclosion and erosion....

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
There is a Warcraft Movie coming in 2011, so it will last at least until then.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Heart of Darkness said:
WoW will end when either
A) People stop paying Blizzard to play it, or
B) Blizzard shuts down the WoW servers.

And why should any game need to die? If it provides people with entertainment, then what harm is it doing?
I agree.

I wish people would just shut the hell up and get their panties un bunched. It isn't like WoW existing is doing any harm.

It seems more plausible that it is saving us from a bunch of lackluster MMO's, basically it is harder for people to get investors for bullshit so people don't have to lost 50 bucks on a game that looked good, sort of like Vanguard. Or |Insert one of many relatively terrible MMOs here|.

Valiance said:
Cataclysm is the VERY DEFINITELY FINAL DUNGEON.
Just like the highest powerlevel in DBZ ended at JUST OVER 9K!

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
WARNING: Bellow "spoiler tags" encompass a huge wall of text dealing with the criticism the OP made towards World of Warcraft. Read at your own risk.
[spoiler ]Your main criticism of the game seem to be the graphics. You also seem to be one of "those" people who still thinks Classic World of Warcraft was good.

Let's talk about the graphics. Blizzard made WoW accessible for all systems. Why should they improve the graphics even more? Doing so would make about 50% of their users unable to play the game because of their computers(You do know that it takes a lot of resources for a computer to render 25 people casting crap, with effects running all over the screen, right?).
They already DID improve the graphics tho, and are going to do so even more with the future expansion, Cataclysm.

Let's talk about Classic WoW. It was good, for it's time. Making gold was a *****, that's why you'd often see level 60's running around with their level 40 mounts. Getting gear was also not that easy. PvP was limited to Battlegrounds, and often you'd have problems getting 10/10 on each side resulting in one side often getting their asses kicked. Pre-Gearing for raids wasn't that easy neither, and there was always an emphasis on the Rogue, the Priest and the Warrior has being the best classes in the game, for quite obvious reasons.
Let's see what BC brought to the table:

- an easier way to get gear through emblems. You had another option of finding gear apart from the "Oh my god I hope this item drops"
- added another Battleground + Arenas, giving you more options when it came to PvP
- better raids/dungeons
- daily quests, which helped A LOT when it came to gold
- it introduced the Shaman to the Alliance and the Paladin to the Horde. This was a needed and very helpful change
- new spells
- balancing
- flying mounts
- better zones which you could level through
- improved graphics
- "Heroic" versions of instances
- making 40 man raid instances obsolete
So has we can see BC WAS and still IS better than Classic World of Warcraft. It introduced a lot of new options which really made the game a lot more enjoyable.

Then a long came Wrath of the Lich King. Let's see what it brought to the table:

- improves graphics
- new game mechanics(Vehicles and mounted combat anyone?)
- improved dungeons and raids.
- revived World PvP through Wintergrasp, adding the ability to storm a keep using vehicles etc.
- added Phasing, which gave quests a "twist", and made areas seem more unique(It did come with it's share of problems)
- the ability to gain reputation whilst doing Heroics.
- better quests overall
- introduced Stone Keepers shards, giving players another way to gain PvP gear.
- introduced 2 new amazing battlegrounds, which are a joy to play in
- introduced Glyphs, which gave you the ability to customize your character even more
- barber shops, adding even more customization.
- heirloom items, giving you the ability to level an alt faster
- ability to "learn" pets and mounts, so that they don't take up inventory space anymore
- achievements

Classic WoW will never be better than Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King. The innovation's made with these 2 expansion surpass Classic WoW by a damn 100 miles. [/spoiler]

I guess I should get on with the topic at hand already. Personally I think WoW will never die. Not until Blizzard kills it. It's just to popular, and by the looks of it a long time will pass until Blizzard decides to "kill" WoW.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I don't see any issues with it. I can see how it can ruin somebody if they don't play it in moderation, but other than that, it's a fun game with a decent enough community.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Personally, I'm glad WoW has become so idiot-proof and is still going strong. It attracts the idiots like a magnet, and hopefully will keep them away from any better MMOs that come out.

I had a good run with it, but I quit for good about 6 months ago and haven't looked back. I'm looking forward to SWTOR now, and hopefully it will have a minimal idiot population. Idiots are unfortunately too numerous and therefore profitable to ignore, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Nugma

Jul 26, 2009
I've been a WoW player since the first beta. And WotLK killed the game for me. The game just isn't fun any more, it's too mainstream and easy these days. I've tried renewing my account a few times since I quit, but I just can't play longer than a month.
Such a shame, it used to be a nice game, but every game has to die at some point. Cataclysm can't hide the fact that it's a boring game for long.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
I think you guys are failing to consider something: Blizzard merged with Activition. Not to crush the souls of the various WoW-haters, but we're talking about Activision here-- you know, the company who's CEO stated that they want to exploit their franchises yearly, and- I quote- " I think, generally, our strategy has been to focus? on the products that have those attributes and characteristics, the products that we know [that] if we release them today, we'll be working on them 10 years from now."

In other words, they are going to beat that WoW horse even when it is long dead. At a guess, I'd say it is going to be around until probably a year or two after it becomes a financial black hole for the company... and even with attrition, competition, and obsolecence, that's going to be quite a while into the future, I bet. And why the heck not? They already own all the infrastructure for WoW, and they can gradually transition the non-hardware assets over to their next gen MMO... no reason to be in a rush to stop making money...

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
WoW will die many years from now.

It will take it's own life when Korea is nuked, the rest of the twelve people that play it will cry.