Poll: Where did my favorite gameplay mechanic go? I ask my fellow Stealth gamers.

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
What happened to shadow-play and do you think it will come back when developers finally get over showing us their high rez. textures, all SC games had it until we got into the HD era, SC:DA on gen 6 had real dark/light gameplay, SC:DA on gen 7 does not really have such a focus on it and more on LOS with a few "dark" spots thrown in, and conviction has the whole black and white effect so you can still see all the details, plus its really about cover shooting/stealth-ish gameplay. The orginal Deus Ex had light/dark stealth, and now HR is.... well.... it's conviction's cover based stealth. I'm also pretty sure Chronicles of Riddick had shadow-play though I don't know how deep it was(its been a long time since I played that).

So I was wondering what escapisttonions thought about this trend of brightening up my sneaky games to show me all the detail and was wondering if you fellas thought my favorite way of sneaking might ever make its triumphant return?

Bonus question where did sound meters go?(you will be rewarded with 12 internets) The first time I played chaos theory was AFTER having played conviction, and double agent for the 360 and I went guano-crazy when I that it even showed you ambient noise. (Yes I played the series in reverse order, but still think CT was well... the best 1 and I also understand that they can't just make the same game again and again but they didn't need to get rid of the darkness.... the darkness was my friend.)

I think darkness that is actually dark adds more than just the feeling of being batman but also makes up for some a the (not so easy to program) stealth AI because it helps suspend your disbelief. "That guard who's crotch is in my face just needs to eat more carrots." (yes I'v been playing DE:HR)

GET AN UNBELIEVABLE 43.75 INTERNETS FOR READING THIS WHOLE POST!!!!!

Ready.... Set.... DISCUSS...
Well... don't discuss anything, lets try to keep it on the topic of darkness's role in stealth gameplay, as well as other stealth mechanics.

P.S. played SC:DA for xbox and xbox 360, 2 COMPLETELY different games that fill in some plot wholes for each other, but WTF was that mission on the 360 version where they throw the series core gameplay mechanic out to have you trop through a war torn village? o_O boggles my mind to this day.

Oh.... yea..... P.P.S. this is not a "one of my favorite series has changed, so now I got sand in my *enter bodily orifice where sand does not belong* thread" it is just that DE:HR brought this to mind.... well that and I was playing SC:CT just before HR was released.

EDIT: I hope you don't get in trouble for posting verbose threads

Ravnican

Jul 19, 2010
Don't worry, there are always encyclopedia long threads in here.

OT: I sure hope stealth returns in it's old glory.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It can be good but it can also be bad. What always bugs me is when you stand right next to a guard, and he doesn't notice you. You can feel when someone is that close to you and it always struck me as silly when nothing happened in game.

Boxer.H1x

Jun 17, 2011
Stealth games are being designed to sell better. Conviction sold far better than Chaos Theory, even though CT was superior in almost every facet. Stealth is being dumbed down so people have an easier time feeling like a Spec Ops badass, rather than being a well put together, while incredibly satisfying, game.

They're trying to appeal to broader demographics, rather than filling a niche. It's just business. It sucks, but it's business.

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
I would like to see more light and shadow interaction with stealth game-play. So I agree with you there. However I would also like to see more use of camouflage (such as in Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4).

I really liked Deus Ex: Human Revolution's stealth elements. Especially with the upgrades that showed you where guards were facing on the map. It's one of the better stealth games I've played, definitely the best one this year.

AdeptaSororitas

Jul 11, 2011
I was a fan of both Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Splinter Cell: Conviction's stealth styles. Convictions was better suited for the story of Conviction and Chaos Theory's style was better for it's story. HOWEVER, I still agree that Chaos Theory's Shadow AND Sound method was superior and made me feel like a tactical badass; however it was, at times, frustratingly brutal. Conviction was not INFERIOR, just different.

And I have to say, SEEING shit while in the darkness does make a bit more sense, I also think it should work for the enemies too.