Poll: Where did you Cry in Toy Story 3?

Pandaman1911

Fuzzy Cuddle Beast
Jan 3, 2011
The incinerator scene made me choke up. It was a combination of the music, and how powerless my childhood heroes all were.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
A lot of people I know became choked at the incinerator bit - but at the end of the day, it's still a Disney Pixar film, and, although Disney do have some fucked up deaths, they'd never incinerate 8 or so beloved characters in one fell swoop; I knew they'd get out.

No, the bit that choked me up (I didn't cry, but I got a lump in my throat) was when Andy said his final goodbyes. I mean, the scene itself is a bit odd - a 19 year old kid playing with a small girl - but overlooking that, it was a very moving scene. It was almost as if they were saying goodbye to us too...us being the peeps aged 18 - 20 who went and saw the original Toy Story in the cinema all that time ago when we were little young'uns. I think that was the first film I ever went to see in fact!

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
No where. The film is far too emotionally elastic to cry too. A sad scene must be built to, but the Toy Stories jump around from emotion to emotion as quick as it takes Woody to change his boots.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
Thaius said:
The incinerator scene was intensely emotional, but I felt as much sadness as surprise and dread, so it didn't really mame me cry. The ending, on the other hand, as Andy was saying goodbye to Woody... oh, the tears. Incredible movie.

EDIT: Also, was I the only one who got chills at the beginning as the old footage of Andy as a kid started distorting and fading out and the song left on "our friendship will never die"? That was an ominously impacting opening if I've ever seen one.

EDIT #2: All of you saying you never cry in anything, watch Clannad. I don't care how hardcore you think you are, that show will break you down. You will cry in it, you will cry after it, you will cry when you hear its soundtrack, and you will cry more often in movies and shows you watch and games you play after it. It will break you. Watch it.
I didn't cry watching Clannad, but I almost thought I was going to.

OT: The closest I came to crying in Toy Story 3 was when Andy's mom came into his room and started crying before he was going to leave because that is pretty much what happened with my mom when I first left for college.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Incinerator scene first (almost), but by the end they were creeping out. Shit got fucking dark.

Aug 25, 2009
I knew going in I was probably going to cry because there hasn't been a single Pixar movie I haven't cried at, but this one floored me almost out of the gate. When they mentioned that Bo Peep was gone, that was me done.

As for the rest of my family, I don't know when my sister cried, but I do know that she did, my mother was crying from literally the very beginning, when they were showing the home video footage. My mum got hit pretty hard by it because when we saw it I was home for the holiday's just before my third year, so the university parallels hit hard I think.

As for my dad, who I have literally never seen cry at any movie ever, even he cried at the Incinerator scene. As he put it to me afterwards 'for a moment I really thought they were going to do it.'

I was pretty much one of the original Toy Story kids though. I saw the first one when I was 5, the second when I was 11, and the third when I was 20, and I think that even being a few years off that, you don't get quite the same impact. My sister who is only four years younger than me didn't get the full input of the university storyline, because she's still two years off.

I think that basically you had to be 4-6 when the first one came out, and have seen all of them in cinema, preferably with your family, in order to get the full emotional impact. Sorry all you 18 and unders, you just dont understand our pain.

Caveworm

Jun 8, 2011
I found Toy Story 3 quite meh really. Some good moments here and there. The end just seemed overly long and too gooey in the emotional sense. Nothing wrong with wrapping a story up and closure, but the end just felt ugh get it over with already.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
None, I just felt annoyed it was a rehash of Toy Story 2 but not as interesting. It had a good ending though, that's the only time the nostalgia hit me but the cliches made me less emotionally invested in the events and therefore not cry.

Take my view with a grain of salt, because I haven't liked most of Pixar's recent efforts (Wall-E, Up, Cars, Cars 2, Toy Story 3).

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
Toy Story was the first movie I ever watched.

Toy Story 2 was the first movie I ever bought.

And now I'm 17, Andy's age, and watching Toy Story 3...

I cried more than I ever thought I could. I didn't sob, or frown. My eyes set out a constant stream of liquid emotion and would't stop.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
At about 3 of those scenese. The incinerator bit where they all join hands is sweet, accepting their fate but the biggest boo-hoo was defo the end where Andy is playing again. Made me all misty eyed thinking of the pain you go through as a teenager getting rid of your "Kiddy" toys. It sucks.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
I didn't, but I got damn close at the ending. And this movie isn't even nostalgic for me (I saw the first 2 a few days prior for the first time. Amazing movies, both of 'em).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The incinerator scene was intense, but it was a Disney movie so I knew they'd be okay. Plus, I called how they would be saved before it actually happened, so it really made me smile.
Bo-Peep being gone made me upset. ESPECIALLY when she didn't show up in the epilogue. Everyone gets a happy ending, and there's poor Woody standing by himself with that sad-happy smile. All they needed to do was have Bo-Peep's hook come from the side and pull him off screen. Perfect ending right there. But no...

From Andy's last playtime onward, I was looking through blurred vision. I never actually cried, but my eyes were watering up. I find it hard to believe that people didn't at least tear up, but I suppose if you have a heart of stone, it's possible.

InterestingKiwi

Jun 18, 2011
I cried right at the beginning, you know the reenactment of Andy's playing in the first Toy Story. Me and my Brother watched the first Toy Story every day for a good year. We could recite the entire movie, and especially that whole toy playing scene. "And Rex who eats forcefield dogs" or something. (Yea I can no long recite it all but that scene.)

I bawled my eyes out for that part. I continued to cry throughout the movie, but that was more depression and regrets of my simpler childhood ruined, and being wasted in my current days.

cameron196789

Jan 17, 2011
I did not, there wasn't any sad moments for me because they either were not that sad or I thought their going to be fine (like the end scene)

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Maybe it was because I didn't pay too much attention when I watched the first two movies, (since I watched them at home instead of a theater) but I never cried. Never really cared about the characters that much either. Sad ending, but it was kind of ... meh.

On a semi-related note, I didn't even get remotely sad during any part in the movie Up.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
JWRosser said:
A lot of people I know became choked at the incinerator bit - but at the end of the day, it's still a Disney Pixar film, and, although Disney do have some fucked up deaths, they'd never incinerate 8 or so beloved characters in one fell swoop; I knew they'd get out.

No, the bit that choked me up (I didn't cry, but I got a lump in my throat) was when Andy said his final goodbyes. I mean, the scene itself is a bit odd - a 19 year old kid playing with a small girl - but overlooking that, it was a very moving scene. It was almost as if they were saying goodbye to us too...us being the peeps aged 18 - 20 who went and saw the original Toy Story in the cinema all that time ago when we were little young'uns. I think that was the first film I ever went to see in fact!
I vastly agree with this, except for the incinerator thing. I would think there's a chance of them doing that. But yeah, it's the series we grew up with, so it's got that in terms of heart rending-ness. I don't tend to cry at films and such, but it was a fairly emotional thing. I kind of wanted to.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
Barziboy said:
So this is the follow up Thread I mentioned in this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.299550-Poll-Which-Film-made-you-Cry-the-most?page=1

Which Part of Toy Story 3 made you Sob uncontrollably?

Have fun.

(For those who have trouble remembering the details: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435761/synopsis )

[Oh god, I've just realised that Tom Hanks was in three of those films in the other thread...that man is some kind of Emotional Wizard]
the part at the end where the little girl tries to take woody and andy almost refuses to give it to her. i was seeing it with my girlfriend so i was trying to resist crying but that moment just pushed me over the endge

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Why would a movie make me poo-oh. I see.

No where. I'm an adult, and it's a cartoon. It may be a sophisticated cartoon, and one that can be enjoyed by adults, but it's a cartoon nonetheless. Toy Story isn't exactly profound.