Poll: Which Ancient Civilisation would yo liked to have lived in?

Giftfromme

Nov 3, 2011
I would like to be in Rome. However, contrary to what many people think, I would like to be one the anonymous slaves working in a villa, living most of my life underground, pumping dat steam for the Romans above. Also to be de-nutted.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'm a woman; right now is the best I have.

That being said, if I were forced to live somewhere ancient, I'd go with pre-Confucianism Japan. Things were especially sweet in Japan for women until that came along, though Japan's historically been better than other ancient culture towards the female sex as a whole.

Oh, and they believe in bathing daily. Fuck yeah.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I'd go to the Far East where I'd be exotic enough to warrant curiosity rather than hostility, without having to deal with the jackasses that populated Europe and mesopotania or the steppes.

Giftfromme said:
I would like to be in Rome. However, contrary to what many people think, I would like to be one the anonymous slaves working in a villa, living most of my life underground, pumping dat steam for the Romans above. Also to be de-nutted.
May I ask why?

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Blunderboy said:
Gonna go with Rome. I've always loved Roman history and if you have to back anyone, back the top dog.
Also, I might get to hang out with this guy.
I think if Ray Stevenson turned up in ancient Rome, everyone would run away screaming...

55BC - average height of an adult Roman man - 5ft2in ... !

S'why they referred to Gauls (average male adult height 5ft6in) as 'barbarian giants'... makes you feel rather tall all of a sudden...

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Ancient Rome!

I can't really justify this, I just really like the way it looked, and the way Latin sounds. You can't be cool and like Latin these days, that damn Pope made it uncool!

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Wagh piss, I didn't notice the Other option.
Vikings for me. I don't need an explanation. They're freakin' Vikings.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Rome. Comparatively speaking even the slaves had it good compared to some of the others. I would think I would hope I would actually be a merchant or some middle class profession (or hell, Emperor if it is all about hope :p) If I was a slave I would rather fight in the arena and either die quickly (getting it over with) or have semi-fame for being a good fighter.

JasonKaotic said:
Wagh piss, I didn't notice the Other option.
Vikings for me. I don't need an explanation. They're freakin' Vikings.
Vikings are middle ages, not ancient.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
wooty said:
Ancient China, mainly for the food, the cool architecture, the food, the culture and most importantly the food.
I'm going with this one too, I've always been fasicinated by East Asian cultures and I'm assuming that this magical time travel would remove language barriers.

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Greece. Specifically, Athens, because they had a great big stiffy for logic and philosophy. Just like me.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Ancient norse culture for me. that way i won't have to learn anything new but id rather stay here

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I'd go with Greek all the way.

I hear that the buildings and statues were actually in color, I demand to know how crazy they were. Also, I just love Ancient Greece, so I don't need much of a reason to be there.
Here you go dude...it's on the Ashmolean in Oxford, I know its actually Caesar and Roman but you get the idea.

Also being an Ancient historian I'd have to say none of them...they're all dirty horrible places, and I think I'd be too poor to ever go out and see anything

BUT I would like to see the Mayans...or the Hittites...or even the Mesopotamians.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Blunderboy said:
Gonna go with Rome. I've always loved Roman history and if you have to back anyone, back the top dog.
I think if Ray Stevenson turned up in ancient Rome, everyone would run away screaming...

55BC - average height of an adult Roman man - 5ft2in ... !

S'why they referred to Gauls (average male adult height 5ft6in) as 'barbarian giants'... makes you feel rather tall all of a sudden...
Actually, probably not. Although the Romans ran into people noticeably taller than them, they didn't see it as a bad thing. If you kill a particularly big barbarian on the battlefield, you get to brag about it forever.

In modern days, barbarians are seen as the destroyers of civilisation or whatever, in Roman days they were seen as the people you got yourself a big bodycount against.

ipop@you

Oct 3, 2008
I'd like to live at the height of the Byzantine Empire, in Constantinople. Such a huge variety of people there, Turkish people, Greeks, various Asian peoples, vikings, it's be fantastic.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
thaluikhain said:
Actually, probably not. Although the Romans ran into people noticeably taller than them, they didn't see it as a bad thing. If you kill a particularly big barbarian on the battlefield, you get to brag about it forever.

In modern days, barbarians are seen as the destroyers of civilisation or whatever, in Roman days they were seen as the people you got yourself a big bodycount against.
Yah... in retrospect, don't think they'd've been all conquering if they did leg it. Though I think even Ray Stevenson, big fucker that he is, would've been quite intimidating.

It's still interesting how much the average height of humans (at least in Europe/Mediterranean) has increased over just two millennia... can't get the project of the recreation of the trireme out of my head... -_-

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
I'd have to go for pre Roman Britain, out of curiosity. There's a lot of pre Roman (and a few early Roman) remains around where I live. There's one just up the road that dates to about 2500BC (virtually neolithic)and a good few Iron age forts and bronze age bits and bobs, I've always found them quite fascinating especially as there isn't much to go on regarding pre Roman Britain.

I'd probably have to go for Iron age though, bronze age just feels a bit too ancient...although I could bring all my 21st century knowledge and be venerated as wisest in all the land! Just wait till the Romans land and get repelled by a volley of rifle fire! Mwuhahaha!

SckizoBoy said:
It's still interesting how much the average height of humans (at least in Europe/Mediterranean) has increased over just two millennia... can't get the project of the recreation of the trireme out of my head... -_-
I think it's just down to better nutrition, especially during childhood. People were still pretty small in the middle ages, I remember seeing full suits of armour when I was a kid that would have fit me quite easily.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Indeed.

The glory that was Rome for me too.
It is the ancient culture that fascinates me the most.

Imagine shaking hands with Caesar himself!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
Yah... in retrospect, don't think they'd've been all conquering if they did leg it. Though I think even Ray Stevenson, big fucker that he is, would've been quite intimidating.
The bigger you are, the easier it is to hit you. The length of your arms gives you an advantage, though, you want to be short, stocky, and with long arms. A thick skull doesn't hurt either.

Now, a unit of Ray Stevenson, with the sort of iron discipline the Romans had, that'd be frightening. Having said that, if you had a bunch of Olsens with Roman discipline, they'd be scary too.

SckizoBoy said:
Yeah, even a mere hundred or two years ago people were much shorter. I remember visiting an oldish (less than 200 years) barracks somewhere, the hammocks were tiny.

jake557

May 30, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the height thing is mostly nutritional. Nowadays people have a broader, more balanced diet, while people in ancient times often had stunted growth as the result of very limited diets.

On topic: I voted Roman, but I don't think any of them sound particularly pleasant