Poll: Which did you prefer, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess

That_Sneaky_Camper

Aug 19, 2011
The transition from Wind Waker to Twilight Princess only shows how fickle Nintendo fans are. Wind Waker tries a new art style despite having the tried and true gameplay and story we love from Zelda? "Oh the kiddie graphics means that it sucks!" Twilight Princess goes back to more realistic styled graphics? "It is too much like Ocarnia of Time! They kept it the same now it sucks."

What is Nintendo supposed to do? They experimented with something new with Wind Waker and a big portion of the fanbase said they hated it, then they return back to what was expected from them with Twilight Princess and they said it was too samey. If I were Nintendo I would just say to the fans, "Screw you guys, I give up on trying to please you crazy fans."

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
I never finished Twilight Princess because I couldn't stand playing it on the Wiimote. I could have picked it up for gamecube but didn't really bother at all. From what little I played I just wasn't having much fun with it.

Wind Waker on the other hand I absolutely hated the cell shading until I actually sat down and played it and it is one of the best Zelda games I have played. Of course my all time favorites are A Link To The Past, Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time.

Worst one of the series to me is a pretty close tie between Zelda II and Majora's Mask. I absolutely loathed that stupid 3 day cycle.

girzwald

Nov 16, 2011
Hated the art style of WW. Why do so many people like cell shading anyway?

Making it look like you retraced everything with sharpie just looks so old and cartoonish.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Wind Waker is one of the few games that has aged well from the last generation. It looks as beautiful now as it did then.

Twilight Princess...while not a terrible game I just didn't think it was memorable. I loved the dungeons but the overworld just felt boring. (Kakirako a Ghost Town? Marketplace being busy but like 5 people actually talk to you.) Not to mention the dullness of the Twilight Realm.

It also shares the first name of my most hated book/movie series ever.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
I preferred the story and (most) of the art direction in Twilight Princess, but gameplay wise Wind Waker was better (Excepting that spinner! BEST. WEAPON. EVER!)

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
I much prefer Twilight Princess. First Zelda game since Link to the Past that I actually cared enough to finish, which in my book makes it better than Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, or the deeply regrettable Majora's Mask.

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
I preferred Wind Waker, although I really enjoyed Twilight Princess as well.

Incidentally, it's kind of interesting to see so many people championing Wind Waker now. When it first came out I remember people having a generally negative opinion on it- when Twilight Princess was announced it was widely seen as "making up for" Wind Waker.

Now that opinion seems to have switched, to the point that I saw a lot of people talking about Skyward Sword "making up for" Twilight Princess.

I think the cause of this is that Zelda games more than any other series suffer from pre-conceived expectations based on nostalgia. Or to put it another way, I don't think Zelda fans always know what it is they actually want. A lot of people (myself included) thought they wanted a Zelda game with a darker, more mature style, but after TP came out we all just realized how much more beautiful Wind Waker was.

technoted

Nov 9, 2009
I enjoyed Twilight Princess on the Gamecube but detested it on the Wii, however compared to Windwaker for me it was nothing. I just loved the direction WW took, it was new and interesting ith a great soundtrack and lots of interesting characters, puzzles and dungeons.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
I hated Wind Waker. Hated, hated, hated, hated it.
The cartoony style irked me, the sailing was boring, the dungeons were unusually stupid...

Twilight Princess had an immersive story, likable characters, and beautiful visuals. So TP wins it for me.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Wind Waker. I couldn't even get into Twilight Princess, and still haven't gotten much beyond the first dungeon. Just isn't that much fun. WW on the other hand is one of my favorite games ever.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I friggin HATE Wind Waker, and I'm a moderate LoZ fan, so I've played enough LoZ games to call it my least favorite. The combat and dungeons were so fun, but the sailing is inexcusable.

I LOVE TP. The art, the combat, the controls, Midna, the bosses, the story, the environments...

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Wind Waker. It's my favorite game of all time, and I pretty much enjoy everything about it. (Including the sailing)

Well, everything except for the "Find the triforce map, then the shards" part of the game. That was a bit tedious. Hope Nintendo does a re-release someday, maybe with those dungeons they were originally planning on putting into the game back in and getting rid of that particular quest.

Twilight Princess was really good too, but wasn't as memorable for me.

Really looking forward to Skyward Sword.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
Twilight for me, WW has no water temple, and Twilight has some really cool dungeons.

Also because tingle dragged the end of the game out to be way too long with his map reading BS. Totally makes me regret playing through it again in anticipation of Skyward Sword.

Though I do love the legend thing at the start of WW.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Honestly? Neither.

Wind waker has a brilliant art style, and some great moments, but feels like it ends somewhere about 40% of the way through.

Twilight princess feels like too much filler was crammed into it, and it's was trying too hard to replicate Ocarina of Time.

It too has some great moments... And surprise. It too feels like they just gave up at some point and just made a token effort to get to the end.
It's not as bad as Wind Waker in this regard, but it's still kind of messed up.

On balance I'd probably go with Twilight Princess, if only because Wind Waker just feels too much like a half-finished project.
(Twilight Princess feels like it was rushed at the last minute but more or less finished, so that the end is a little unpolished. Wind Waker though feels like it was all really well thought out, but then just abandoned half-way through.)

Edit: Oh, and skyward sword is brilliant so far. (I got it on the afternoon of the 17th. Pre-order on a website is interesting, because it shows they had stock on the 15th, even though the launch was, I think the 18th officially...)

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I like them both pretty much the same. Wind Waker's just more refreshing.

Although I got put off by the searching for pieces of the triforce of courage.

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
Call me crazy, but a fair few people seem to be hating on Twilight Princess due to a knee-jerk reaction when comparing games with realistic and stylized aesthetics. The more colorful and cartoony is always, ALWAYS the superior end game, some seem to think. The opposite end of the grsphic whore spectrum we are all so accustomed to.