Poll: Which do you prefer: Minecraft or Terraria?

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Terraria feels more like a proper game to me (and is my preferred choice). As it is right now, Minecraft feels empty and extremely pointless. On the other hand, Terraria feels like a world that is begging to be explored and it ultimately is. There's so much to do in Terraria that involves things besides building, which is my problem with Minecraft. Minecraft is a creative tool that only really has one thing that you can do.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Minecraft. I just couldn't get into Terraria. Partly because i'd end up digging down into some cavern that i couldn't get myself out of and inevitably die. I found that to be frustrating. At least with Minecraft, when i'm digging and exploring, i always have a way to get back to safety. I leave a breadcrumb trail of blocks, signs, torches, doors, ladders, that sort of thing. You can do that to some extent in Terraria, but you inevitably get to a point where you can't just tunnel up to the surface and even if you did you'd have no idea how far away you were from your home. I also just enjoy the creative aspect of Minecraft more. I suppose i'm just more creatively focused than loot focused.

Bajinga

Jun 11, 2011
I hate Terraria.
The concept of the game is fine; it just tries too hard to be a retro game.
When you play Terraria, you are introduced by music that makes me want to kill people, you then knock down trees and kill monsters.

Terraria is so boring.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Lilani said:
In Yahtzee's review of Minecraft, he complained there was no tutorial or helper telling you how to start off (for example, gathering wood to build a workbench so you can build other tools). In Terraria, you start out with the basic gathering tools you need and a helper right there to tell you what you can do and what your basic goals are (for example, how to build houses in such a way so that people like merchants and nurses will move in).
For the record, Minecraft now has a basic achievement system in place (with not that many achievs so far) that actually does a basic job of telling you how to start. Its a nice bread crumb trail without, so it lets you explore and discover with a goal in mind, rather than telling you exactly what to do like Terraria.

Personally, I prefer Minecraft. I do own both, and I've played a few hours of Terraria, but I just never got hooked quite like MC. And this afternoon, I almost melted when it began raining in my minecraft world. It was so peaceful, and pretty.

I also play with quite a few mods. One that helps MC compete with a couple of Terrarias features is called Survivalism. It adds a food/hydration/energy status that you must be aware of, or it will kill you.

If you ever decide to give minecraft a go, hit me up and I can walk you through the basics of adding mods to make it even better.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
2D, 3D. 2D, 3D...

Awesome Tnt or much smaller bombs.

Definitely going with Minecraft on this one.

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
Lucyfer86 said:
Both are very good, but i prefer Minecraft. Terrria gets boring after you've gotten every decent item in game and are just facerolling hordes of monsters, while in Minecraft you can spend hours and hours building almost anything (assuming you like building stuff at all).

Yes, you _can_ build in Terraria but it just doesn't feel the same at 2d.
This is pretty much my reason for preferring Terraria, the focus on the combat and exploration more than building. I'm not particularly creative when handed a load of bits I can put together, I never understood Lego or K'nex or how people made that kinda stuff.

So yeah, Terraria for me.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Terraria is fun but I played it for two days and got the best gear after that I didn't see must point in it.
Minecraft on the other hand always have something that I can work on.

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
There are a lot who say Terraria is very similar/ripoff of Minecraft.

Minecraft is digital legos, whilst Terraria resembles an actual game and has more of an adventuring aspect to it.

I think they both have their pros/cons, so i'm gonna go with both