Poll: Which franchise has a larger fanbase, Fallout or Metal Gear Solid?

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
My friend and housemate have been having this debate for months. He reckons that Fallout will vastly outsell The Phantom Pain, whereas I posit that at the very least, they will sell similar numbers. He also maintains that Bethesda fanboys are more common than Kojima fanboys.

What do you lot reckon?

(For reference, TPP sold 3 mil in it's opening week, and by September 30th, sold 5 mil)

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
fallout, but it's odd when you look at fanbases because I bet most of the fallout base has only played fallout 3, but MGS has way more games that people have played.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Well...

Fallout New Vegas
5 years old
5 million copies sold

MSG5
Sub-Year old
5 million copies sold

If your asking 'which has the biggest crowd draw,' I think the answer is MSG. If your asking which one has the largest 'core fandom,' I think the answer is Fallout.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I would say MGS is more popular. It's the senior franchise, it has more games, and has instantly recognizable characters who would be at home standing in for VIDEOGAMES at such stores. I don't know if Fallout is as iconic.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
If you ask PC crowd, could be Fallout *cough*NMA*cough* Overall, Metal Gear (Solid). Original MSX games too may have fanbase left.

Rabish Bini

Jun 11, 2011
In terms of a devoted fanbase? Obviously this is just what I think, but I'd say Metal Gear.

Fallout brought a lot of new fans with 3, but I imagine many of those are more casual fans. The Metal Gear series has had a highly devoted and large fanbase since the first Solid game, and has continued with each iteration since.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd reckon Fallout, since it's had the more multiplatform games over the years. MGS5 was the first real multiplatform entry in that series, which I think accounts for the high sales, as many people who never owned a Playstation or Xbox could finally check what it was all about.

I'm mainly basing this on audience response whenever a new Bethesda RPG gets announced though. Fallout 3 gets announced; The internet goes apeshit. Skyrim gets announced; The internet goes apeshit. Fallout 4... That's right.

The only Metal Gear game that ever got this amount of hype was Metal Gear Solid 2.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
If your asking 'which has the biggest crowd draw,' I think the answer is MSG. If your asking which one has the largest 'core fandom,' I think the answer is Fallout.
Well, while I think MSG is a great flavour enhancer, I'm not sure if it's really in the same category as a video game franchise so I'm not sure if it's fair to compare the two. I do like MSG a lot personally though.

Johnny Novgorod said:
I would say MGS is more popular. It's the senior franchise, it has more game, and instantly recognizable characters whou would be at home standing in for VIDEOGAMES at such stores. I don't know if Fallout is as iconic.
What do you mean by senior franchise? If you mean age then Fallout is slightly older, but MGS could be argued to be in seniority simply because there have been consistent releases for a longer time period.

OT: This is a tough one. Fallout has an advantage of being available on more platforms since Fallout 3, but that has ended with Metal Gear Solid being released on all (relevant) platforms.

It's a tough sell, but I am going to guess Fallout, it ill be interesting to see how they compare once Fallout 4 is released. I am ready to be proven wrong.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Do you think Fallout being multiplatform will affect this?

Edit: oh somebody above me mentioned MGS5 is multi now. But i still think most of the fans will be playstation users.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Fallout. I'm basing this on what appears to be a larger reaction to Fallout 4 than Metal Gear 5, larger section on ff.net, larger wiki size, etc. Numbers aren't the be all and end all with the last two, but numbers, at least, don't lie.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Fallout purely on the basis that MGS for a very long time was Playstation-only. Its easier to build a larger fanbase if you're multiplatform. MGS probably has a larger "devoted" fanbase; but that won't matter because I reckon more casual fans will buy Fallout 4 than MGS5.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
The hype for Fallout 4 is shaking the Earth right now, meanwhile we know for a fact The Phantom Pain is the last MGS game.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'd say that nearly 40 million sales total (Metal Gear Solid 1-5 plus PSP versions) vs. 8 million sales total (Fallout 3/New Vegas) is telling... Of course the 40 million is an estimate since I can't get solid (no pun intended) numbers on the series total.
Who has the bigger fanbase? Well... if we divide 40/7 (not including Twin Snakes and VR Missions) we get about 5.71 million for each game (not accurate but averaging the total sales estimate between the games) vs. 4 million for two games. I'd say MGS has overall the larger fanbase.

EDIT: Did a bit more than the initial research...

MGS - 6.03 million
MGS2 - 6.02 million
MGS3 - 4.23 million
MGS4 - 5.99 million
MGS5 - 2.04 million (may not be accurate)
MGSVR - 1.18 million
MGRR - 1.39 million
MGSPO - 1.17 million
MGSPW - 2.04 million
MGSGZ - 1.13 million (PS4 sales only)

Fallout3 - 4.6/3.6/.8 (360/PS3/PC)
New Vegas - 3.8/2.9/1.1 (360/PS3/PC)

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
MGS was big back in the day but not quite as big any more. FO was big back in the day but only got bigger with 3.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'd say it isn't so much MGS versus Fallout as it is MGS versus Bethesda, and that is a big difference. Bethesda cranks out open world games and they sell like crazy. Just going from PC alone here, looking at popular Skyrim Mods. Some mods have been downloaded over five million times, and viewed over fifteen million times. Even if you count people redownloading mods, that is several million PC users alone.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Probably fallout, which I imagine has more casual fans.

MGS has, by far, the more rabid and obsessive fan base. The way they talk, you'd think Kojima was the second coming of Buddhajesus.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'd say that nearly 40 million sales total (Metal Gear Solid 1-5 plus PSP versions) vs. 8 million sales total (Fallout 3/New Vegas) is telling... Of course the 40 million is an estimate since I can't get solid (no pun intended) numbers on the series total.
Who has the bigger fanbase? Well... if we divide 40/7 (not including Twin Snakes and VR Missions) we get about 5.71 million for each game (not accurate but averaging the total sales estimate between the games) vs. 4 million for two games. I'd say MGS has overall the larger fanbase.

EDIT: Did a bit more than the initial research...

MGS - 6.03 million
MGS2 - 6.02 million
MGS3 - 4.23 million
MGS4 - 5.99 million
MGS5 - 2.04 million (may not be accurate)
MGSVR - 1.18 million
MGRR - 1.39 million
MGSPO - 1.17 million
MGSPW - 2.04 million
MGSGZ - 1.13 million (PS4 sales only)

Fallout3 - 4.6/3.6/.8 (360/PS3/PC)
New Vegas - 3.8/2.9/1.1 (360/PS3/PC)
Am I missing something, or did you leave out some Fallout games?