Poll: Which franchise has a larger fanbase, Fallout or Metal Gear Solid?

aba1

New member
Mar 18, 2010
3,248
0
0
nomotog said:
fallout, but it's odd when you look at fanbases because I bet most of the fallout base has only played fallout 3, but MGS has way more games that people have played.
There is truth in that^. I am a massive MGS fan but even I have to admit that fallout has the bigger fanbase.
 

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
618
0
0
In America, definitely Fallout. Take the new crowd who was introduced to the series through Fallout 3, the overlapping Elder Scrolls fans, and the old fans of the original games, and you have quite a significant base.

In Japan, MGS for sure. If Kojima is such a celebrity among American gamers, he's sure to be a god over there.
 

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
5,499
0
0
Cycloptomese said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'd say that nearly 40 million sales total (Metal Gear Solid 1-5 plus PSP versions) vs. 8 million sales total (Fallout 3/New Vegas) is telling... Of course the 40 million is an estimate since I can't get solid (no pun intended) numbers on the series total.
Who has the bigger fanbase? Well... if we divide 40/7 (not including Twin Snakes and VR Missions) we get about 5.71 million for each game (not accurate but averaging the total sales estimate between the games) vs. 4 million for two games. I'd say MGS has overall the larger fanbase.

EDIT: Did a bit more than the initial research...

MGS - 6.03 million
MGS2 - 6.02 million
MGS3 - 4.23 million
MGS4 - 5.99 million
MGS5 - 2.04 million (may not be accurate)
MGSVR - 1.18 million
MGRR - 1.39 million
MGSPO - 1.17 million
MGSPW - 2.04 million
MGSGZ - 1.13 million (PS4 sales only)

Fallout3 - 4.6/3.6/.8 (360/PS3/PC)
New Vegas - 3.8/2.9/1.1 (360/PS3/PC)
Am I missing something, or did you leave out some Fallout games?
I did but the sales were negligible when compared to the more contemporary games. I also left out Metal Gear Acid and the NES era Metal Gear games. The truth being anyway the previous Fallout games didn't sell enough to make a dent in MGS's sales. I love Fallout but I'm willing to bet there's a bigger Metal Gear fanbase and the units sold back it up when compared to the overall Fallout sales, even combined.
 

nomotog_v1legacy

New member
Jun 21, 2013
909
0
0
RedRockRun said:
In America, definitely Fallout. Take the new crowd who was introduced to the series through Fallout 3, the overlapping Elder Scrolls fans, and the old fans of the original games, and you have quite a significant base.

In Japan, MGS for sure. If Kojima is such a celebrity among American gamers, he's sure to be a god over there.
America and Russia. Russia is big on fallout. I muse it's because we both have a cultural background of nuke/end of the world talk. I always found that a funny little tidbit.
 

Cycloptomese

New member
Jun 4, 2015
313
0
0
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Cycloptomese said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'd say that nearly 40 million sales total (Metal Gear Solid 1-5 plus PSP versions) vs. 8 million sales total (Fallout 3/New Vegas) is telling... Of course the 40 million is an estimate since I can't get solid (no pun intended) numbers on the series total.
Who has the bigger fanbase? Well... if we divide 40/7 (not including Twin Snakes and VR Missions) we get about 5.71 million for each game (not accurate but averaging the total sales estimate between the games) vs. 4 million for two games. I'd say MGS has overall the larger fanbase.

EDIT: Did a bit more than the initial research...

MGS - 6.03 million
MGS2 - 6.02 million
MGS3 - 4.23 million
MGS4 - 5.99 million
MGS5 - 2.04 million (may not be accurate)
MGSVR - 1.18 million
MGRR - 1.39 million
MGSPO - 1.17 million
MGSPW - 2.04 million
MGSGZ - 1.13 million (PS4 sales only)

Fallout3 - 4.6/3.6/.8 (360/PS3/PC)
New Vegas - 3.8/2.9/1.1 (360/PS3/PC)
Am I missing something, or did you leave out some Fallout games?
I did but the sales were negligible when compared to the more contemporary games. I also left out Metal Gear Acid and the NES era Metal Gear games. The truth being anyway the previous Fallout games didn't sell enough to make a dent in MGS's sales. I love Fallout but I'm willing to bet there's a bigger Metal Gear fanbase and the units sold back it up when compared to the overall Fallout sales, even combined.
I kind of assumed that... I just couldn't help myself.
 

Flutterguy

New member
Jun 26, 2011
970
0
0
Gundam GP01 said:
Flutterguy said:
Fallout.

Why Fallout? Anything involving modern military just looks dull to me.
How could anyone think that Metal Gear has anything in common with modern military games?
Revolves around a soldier with the most 80's American war hero name next to Rambo, taking orders over radio, fighting terrorists and foreign countries or something. Not saying it looks like a Battlefield or CoD, I've just never been interested in it.
 

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
2,093
0
0
Flutterguy said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Flutterguy said:
Fallout.

Why Fallout? Anything involving modern military just looks dull to me.
How could anyone think that Metal Gear has anything in common with modern military games?
Revolves around a soldier with the most 80's American war hero name next to Rambo, taking orders over radio, fighting terrorists and foreign countries or something. Not saying it looks like a Battlefield or CoD, I've just never been interested in it.
You are bang on the money with the name, considering his name is based on Snake Plisken from the 1981 movie Escape from New York staring Kurt Russell.

More on topic, I would have said MGS based off my social circle.
 

Lunar Templar

New member
Sep 20, 2009
8,225
0
0
in terms of which I actually care about?

Metal Gear Solid.

in reality though?

not sure, Fallout maybe? I know MGS isn't as big as it used to be and Fallout has the same problem TES has of only being really good on PC due to mods.
 

AzrealMaximillion

New member
Jan 20, 2010
3,216
0
0
MGSV


Fallout 3 and New Vegas were both multiplatform and each sold around 5 million. MGSV is the first in the series to be released multiplatform and has sold 5 million in the 2 months its been out, and that doesn't include PC copies actually sold yet.
 

AzrealMaximillion

New member
Jan 20, 2010
3,216
0
0
Charcharo said:
By a big margin Fallout.

Though both are small and niche compared to other games.
I don't know. No Fallout game has outsold an MGS main series title (with the exception of MGS3) and MGSV is the first in the series to not be console exclusive.

Fallout is a big franchise, but MG has been around as long as Final Fantasy.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
Well, now that Kojima has left the building, the answer is Fallout, since Fallout has a future and Metal Gear does not. Sorry, Snake, but war never changes.
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
Personally, I loved Metal Gear Solid and haven't really gotten into any of the other games in that series. With Fallout, I didn't care for the first couple but really got into the later games. That's just me but I can see that being the case for a lot of people. Especially when you compare the games that came out last console gen...I feel like Metal Gear 4 did damage to that franchise proportional to the great things done by Fallout 3 to its franchise. I could be wrong of course and for a lot of people I'm sure the opposite is true.
 

omega 616

New member
May 1, 2009
5,883
1
0
As an MGS fanboy, I would fallout.

MGS rubs too many people the wrong with it's exposition and insane story. Also, nerds have this weird romance with the post apocalypse.

I see a lot more fallout merch than MGS and generally more gossip about it.

I think MGS blew everybody away with how different it was than the previous games, it was an unexpected shock, which is why it getting so much praise. Fallout is expected to be great and so will probably fall short ... which is why I think this topic has been brought up.
 

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
3,114
0
0
Going forward, Fallout may wind up taking the lead, as it has many newer fans, and Metal Gear is kinda finished now.

As of right now however, I would have to go with Metal Gear. It's been a staple gaming franchise for a longer time than Fallout. MGS1 was considered very revolutionary, and did things that few games had done before. Fallout 1 may have done something similar, but not to the extent Metal Gear Solid did. Metal Gear has its legacy to ensure some high level of popularity. Whatever Fallout's legacy is, it can't be bigger than Metal Gear. At least, not yet.

From a personal perspective, when Fallout 3 became a big deal, the only thing I remember saying was, "I never knew there was a Fallout 1 or 2!" By no means am I talking trash on Fallout as a series, but I had never heard of it till 3 came out. Even long before I touched a Metal Gear game, I knew about the series since it was a franchise you would hear so many people talk about constantly.

I don't really have a horse in this race to begin with. Of the two, I've only played Metal Gear Solid games, but it's not a series I really love. I've never had any interest in replaying them, which is a personal indicator of whether or not I like a game. I certainly respect Metal Gear, and I imagine Fallout is pretty great considering its relatively newfound popularity.
 

dyre

New member
Mar 30, 2011
2,178
0
0
nomotog said:
RedRockRun said:
In America, definitely Fallout. Take the new crowd who was introduced to the series through Fallout 3, the overlapping Elder Scrolls fans, and the old fans of the original games, and you have quite a significant base.

In Japan, MGS for sure. If Kojima is such a celebrity among American gamers, he's sure to be a god over there.
America and Russia. Russia is big on fallout. I muse it's because we both have a cultural background of nuke/end of the world talk. I always found that a funny little tidbit.
It's nice to hear that the threat of mutual nuclear annihilation over the course of half a century has helped gamers from both countries find common ground :p
 

Chester Rabbit

New member
Dec 7, 2011
1,004
0
0
Okay, I'm gonna be a total ignorant asshole here and just say this. Metal Gear likely has more fans, for the right reasons. The majority of fans Fallout has earned in recent years are due to that bastardization of the property that was Fallout 3.