Poll: Which franchise has a larger fanbase, Fallout or Metal Gear Solid?

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Charcharo said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Charcharo said:
By a big margin Fallout.

Though both are small and niche compared to other games.
I don't know. No Fallout game has outsold an MGS main series title (with the exception of MGS3) and MGSV is the first in the series to not be console exclusive.

Fallout is a big franchise, but MG has been around as long as Final Fantasy.
It aint about outselling (which BTW is without enough info as Bethesda and other RPGs sell over time). It is about what is more popular. I am almost 100% certain that Fallout is a more well known series world wide.

Of course, both games cant even hope to compare to GTA or CoD and should not even be compared to WoT and LoL... as those have more people playing them per day than any other franchise can muster in its existence at this point, but that is the beyond AAA part of gaming...
Metal Gear has been a franchise since the same year as Final Fantasy. And to be honest Fallout's franchise only has 2 games that people on a Worldwide level played. Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics were PC only and not the most popular games.

Metal Gear Solid 1-5 have sold millions with each iteration. MGS and Fallout (3 & New Vegas have similar sales numbers as. Fallout it more known here in the West, but MGS is known here and in Japan as well.

I'm still giving it to MGS for bigger fanbase, its been here much longer, has more games in its franchise released and sold, and has audiences where Fallout doesn't. That and the fact that (Barring the Twin Snakes remake for GC) MGS has always been an exclusive and does Fallout sales numbers. Now that its on all major platforms its got a better chance at selling more than Fallout.

If its about what series is more popular MGS has that in its long history compared to Fallout, which really is just Fallout 3 and NV.

sky pies

Oct 24, 2015
I made this point a short while ago, but I am kind of nonplussed by the recent groundswell in respect for MGS as a series. I don't quite buy it.

I'm not targeting any one person, but I have noticed that the ratio of people who like MGS vs. people who think it is a quirky, cutscene-heavy arcade stealth game seems to have completely flipped in recent weeks and months.

I remember a time when MGS was, as I've said, just a wacky foreign series with flashy graphics but limited widespread appeal, restricted to the Playstation 2 consoles and rather passed over. I've been on forums for a while now and I remember times in the past when any mention of MGS would be greeted by tolerant chuckles along the lines of "Yes, good game, however: irrelevant."

Clearly MGS is the flavour of the week, but there are scores of franchises that have far larger fan bases but are just less prevalent today: Half Life, Fallout, probably Command & Conquer, Zelda, or Final Fantasy to name a few.

Buckets

May 1, 2014
To answer the actual question, MGS is a clear winner. I personally can't stand stealth em ups.
I love the atmosphere of Fallout and am counting the days to Fallout 4 like its's bloody Christmas. But the poll is misleading, as it doesn't actually ask which side you personally fall on, just which is more popular and that is Metal Gear (pretty much all market research would support this)

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
sky pies said:
I made this point a short while ago, but I am kind of nonplussed by the recent groundswell in respect for MGS as a series. I don't quite buy it.

I'm not targeting any one person, but I have noticed that the ratio of people who like MGS vs. people who think it is a quirky, cutscene-heavy arcade stealth game seems to have completely flipped in recent weeks and months.

I remember a time when MGS was, as I've said, just a wacky foreign series with flashy graphics but limited widespread appeal, restricted to the Playstation 2 consoles and rather passed over. I've been on forums for a while now and I remember times in the past when any mention of MGS would be greeted by tolerant chuckles along the lines of "Yes, good game, however: irrelevant."

Clearly MGS is the flavour of the week, but there are scores of franchises that have far larger fan bases but are just less prevalent today: Half Life, Fallout, probably Command & Conquer, Zelda, or Final Fantasy to name a few.
Metal Gear Solid was treated like that amongst PC gamers for a long time, for obvious reasons. Among console gamers, and especially among SONY console gamers (which were the majority of all gamers during the PS2 era) it really was extremely big and important, far more so than (say) the Fallout games before 3.

OT: I'm not totally sure, but I'd guess Metal Gear Solid has the larger fanbase, simply because its been a much more widely played game for longer and I imagine it also has a huge following in Japan, while Fallout probably does not. When you're talking about large scale worldwide popularity, the Fallout franchise essentially began with 3, while Metal Gear was huge starting from the first Solid game in 1998.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
I'd recon Fallout. From pure Fallout fans maybe not, but they also have the advantage that Skyrim was really really popular and being similar games from the same developer should lead to quite a few skyrim fans buying Fallout 4.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Fallout.

Though less because of the franchise and more because of Bethesda. Skyrim was bigger than any MGS game easily.

On Steam right now there's still more people playing Skyrim than people playing The Phantom Pain. And while it's certainly true that a majority of MGS's playerbase may be on consoles you're also comparing a 4 year old game to one that came out this year.

And many of those Skyrim players are going to be playing Fallout 4.

I think the only part where MGS has an edge is in how devoted it's fanbase is. I wouldn't be surprised if Fallout 4 sold less in the first day, perhaps even the first week, but over time there's going to be a lot more people buying and player Fallout 4.