Poll: Which generations of Pokemon do you "recognize"?

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
afroebob said:
While most of the 2nd generation and onward where complete shit, I'll go with 1 and 2. Gen 1 only had 1 Pokemon I hated (Porygon) and although I loathed most of generation 2 the legendary Pokemon where pretty nice and there where a few regular ones that I probably liked that I could come up with if you gave me about 5 minutes to think of one. Bottom line, Pokemon was best in the first generation, and the best Pokemon are all in gen 1 being

1. Mew
2. Mewtwo
3. Charizard
4. Lickitung (can learn Thunder, Fireblast AND Blizzard so he was basically unstoppable)
5. Scyther

Of course this is all a matter of opinion and other people will disagree with me. And that just shows that opinions can be wrong!
I may be nitpicking, but as a former hardcore Pokemon player I have to say that I was in fits of laughter over your Lickitung unstoppable line. Lickitung has 60 special attack stat. That's really bad. To put that into perspective, a Bulbasaur has 65. And Bulbasaur is a base form that evolves. So a Bulbasaur's Solar Beam would hit harder than any of Lickitung's special attacks. That's REALLY bad. That's something you put on a troll team when you want to lose. It might have worked against the AI, but the AI was really bad back then. It wouldn't work now. It got a (really weird) evolution which had one of the highest base power moves in the game at the time (a same type attack bonus Explosion), but Lickitung itself was bad.

Sorry, but as a competitive player that really bothered me. lol

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
Honestly, I think I'd cut it off after the second generation. Some of the recent pokemon designs are just getting... space-ish. sign of the times, I suppose.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
The new pokemon themselves have gotten worse the further they went, but the battle mechanics have improved over the shit by comparison that the first generation had. Favorite games are easily the Heartgold and Soulsilver games as they feature more pokemon that I find more memorable while incorporating the better battle system that comes with later generations.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I grew up while the second generation was happening so I never quite grasped that one. I still feel utterly ashamed at wasting so much time on it though.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
Only the first generation, I didn't liked the show when I was a kid and I never got the hang out of the game.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
piplink said:
up to the 3rd gen, after that, i blank out. i REALLY loved crystal, my fav of them all.
Same here, Crystal is forever the highlight of Pokemon in my eyes. Red/Blue were fun, but clunky (although understandably so) and Ruby/Sapphire tried a lot of new stuff (although they ditched some good ideas, like the night/day cycle, and poorly implemented others, like the buggy berry system). Gen 3 even looked like it was going to be separate from the others, but then Emerald and Fire Red/Leaf Green came around and screwed all that up. (Although, Fire Red was a worthy retread of Red in my eyes. Sure, the ludicrously high number of Pokemon was annoying, but it added enough new areas and refined enough old mechanics to stay fresh and fun.)

I got Pearl for Christmas from my sister a while back, but I just couldn't get into it and ended up trading it in. So, generation 3 is my cutoff.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
i recognise 1st and 2nd generation, then went off it and then came back on diamond. I don't mind the newer generations (some i like) but I lean towards pokemon from the 1st and 2nd generations for my team.

EDIT: and now its a ***** to find the GBA titles locally, got to go on the interwebs for that.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Istvan said:
I grew up while the second generation was happening so I never quite grasped that one. I still feel utterly ashamed at wasting so much time on it though.
Heh, don't be. Pokemon is designed to be like crack to children. Also makes a fairly good entry drug into the genre of RPGs (although that term has become rather nebulous now). My original Crystal save file died to to an old battery, but I recall playing it fondly for over two years of my life. Then when I looked at Fire Red, I saw that I had sunk over 300 hours into the game. Good times, good times.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
I recognize the first four generations, and by first four I mean Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, and Black/White. Because Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were poorly made fan games with no official connection to Nintendo.

Absolute fact, I say.

Also, you know the new Nobunaga crossover the just announced? Yeah, that was totally my idea. Give me a moment and I shall provide the link proving it unambiguously.

Edit:

Ah, here we are. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.71633-Pokemon?page=3#2367677]

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
all of them and to anyone who doesn't for stupid reasons (which may or may not be yours)
please take a look at this video:

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
I lost it by the time Diamond came around. True, all generations have their duff Pokemon, but when it gets to the point that I don't even WANT one of the starters, when I was planning teams by the merit of which ones I HATED the least was when I started to switch off. The point where I started to actively despise the franchise was when I saw the Pokemon Pidove. Let's not dress it up here, folks. It's a fucking pigeon and you know it. No imagination went into that on any level, and that's where I draw the line.
Don't get me wrong, I adore the series. I've loved Pokemon since it came out, but I'm not going to buy a Pokemon game when the monsters aren't even imaginative any more.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
The_Blue_Rider said:
I think they're all valid, because even though first generation had some pretty awesome Pokemon, it also had some really stupid Pokemon.
Well you pretty much stole my entire opinion there champ, well done now I have nothing to post D:

OT: Seriously though, I love all the pokemon generations and they're all valid. For every Flygon, Tyranitar and Galvantula there's a stunfisk, wobbuffet and Mr. Mime, which is, to be honest, what makes the series still so appealing to me to this day.
My point is, that no pokemon is really stupid (except Mr. Mime), there's just a pokmeon for every type of person.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Ursus Buckler said:
I lost it by the time Diamond came around. True, all generations have their duff Pokemon, but when it gets to the point that I don't even WANT one of the starters, when I was planning teams by the merit of which ones I HATED the least was when I started to switch off. The point where I started to actively despise the franchise was when I saw the Pokemon Pidove. Let's not dress it up here, folks. It's a fucking pigeon and you know it. No imagination went into that on any level, and that's where I draw the line.
Don't get me wrong, I adore the series. I've loved Pokemon since it came out, but I'm not going to buy a Pokemon game when the monsters aren't even imaginative any more.
ya know this kind of thing bothers me. pidove is a pigeon because it's BASED on a pigeon what do you expect for it to look like? not at all what it's based off of? and what about older pokemon like seel? it's just a seal with a horn and improper spelling, shellder is just a shell with eyes and a tongue and grimer is a lump of slime I just don't get this type of thinking

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
werewolfsfury said:
Ursus Buckler said:
ya know this kind of thing bothers me. pidove is a pigeon because it's BASED on a pigeon what do you expect for it to look like? not at all what it's based off of? and what about older pokemon like seel? it's just a seal with a horn and improper spelling, shellder is just a shell with eyes and a tongue and grimer is a lump of slime I just don't get this type of thinking
And don't forget Ratatta. It's just a purple rat. And Pidey, who looks even less imaginative of a bird than Pidove. People let their fond memories of Pokemon as children blind them to the face that design wise, they were incredibly plain back then.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
I can name all the pokemon from the first gen and most from the second. After the second gen i kinda felt that the pokemons where getting... I don't know.. too far out there, if that makes sense to you

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Smertnik said:
Wait, there're more Pokemons beside Pikachu, the fire lizard and the water turtle?
Yeah, there's also the fire-dog and the ghost-head with disembodied hands.

OT: I didn't like Platinum, so I don't like to 'recognise' those pokemon, but I recently bought black, and while I know there are a lot of stupid pokemon in it, I'm actually enjoying it so far (it is nice playing a pokemon game without having three generations worth of experience to tell you what pokemon are good or not).

But my favourite was definitely Gold/Silver.

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
First 151.

Then I stopped caring because they just got to many. And took away my Bulbasaur as a starter :(

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
White_Lama said:
First 151.

Then I stopped caring because they just got to many. And took away my Bulbasaur as a starter :(
you could have traded to gold and silver you know and then made it have eggs and have a whole team of bulbasuar