Poll: Which generations of Pokemon do you "recognize"?

Skerbey

Dec 3, 2011
I recognise up to 4th gen. Not because the 5th gen is retarded but I'm all Pokemoned out. My emerald game tells me I've spent more than 500 hours playing and about 200 on pearl. Also its way too easy to cheat now, anyone can have a level 100 shiny with max effort values.

CO_Fimbulvetr

Dec 18, 2009
Something a lot have people have said, there's stupid ideas in all the generations. Although, I think even those have somewhat redeeming traits (as weird as Mr. Mime looks, the idea of a mime making something real is pretty neat).

It probably says something about my preference in generations that my preferred team (as opposed to my competitive play team) has at least one Pokemon from each generation. They certainly aren't getting any worse.

Two notes though: The increasing complexity of the competitive scene is making it easier for new Pokemon to become really overpowered with even a simple addition to them (seriously, Ditto? WTF?) Also, the stories have always been improving, with the biggest improvement by far being in the most recent games, Black and White. Actually cared about what happened for once.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
I personally loved just the first two generations. I miss the old Pokemon Red and Blue (I kinda feel more love for Red just because it was my first Pokemon game ever) and I loved Gold and Silver. I wish I could go back and play those two... things just went downhill with the other Generations. I disliked Generation 3... I kinda like Generation 4, but Generation 5... it kind of lost me again.

I just feel like they're scraping the bottom of the barrel with the last two though. I mean, they're more story-oriented at least. It just feels pretty... blah. I can't say I feel upset that they continued, I mean... I bought them, I played them, I beat them (In terms of story progression, I've not captured the whole massive amount of Pokemon that must be out there right now.) They're just not gonna capture the feeling I had for Gen 1 and Gen 2. Those are gonna always and forever be my most favorite generations.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
werewolfsfury said:
ya know this kind of thing bothers me. pidove is a pigeon because it's BASED on a pigeon what do you expect for it to look like? not at all what it's based off of? and what about older pokemon like seel? it's just a seal with a horn and improper spelling, shellder is just a shell with eyes and a tongue and grimer is a lump of slime I just don't get this type of thinking
The fact that Shellder and Grimer and Seel are still recognisably Pokemon is what puts them above Pidove. I'm not saying that any of them are Pokemon that I particularly like, but at least they're original. If you live in any urban area, you'll see a Pidove every day. The fact that they HAD to resort to using a pigeon of all things just proves how they've run out of ideas.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
1-3 i can probably pick out, with out much though, 4 and 5 >.> would be more tricky, i know a fair chuck of 5 having the White version an all but yeah I'd probably mix some up a bit

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Ursus Buckler said:
werewolfsfury said:
ya know this kind of thing bothers me. pidove is a pigeon because it's BASED on a pigeon what do you expect for it to look like? not at all what it's based off of? and what about older pokemon like seel? it's just a seal with a horn and improper spelling, shellder is just a shell with eyes and a tongue and grimer is a lump of slime I just don't get this type of thinking
The fact that Shellder and Grimer and Seel are still recognisably Pokemon is what puts them above Pidove. I'm not saying that any of them are Pokemon that I particularly like, but at least they're original. If you live in any urban area, you'll see a Pidove every day. The fact that they HAD to resort to using a pigeon of all things just proves how they've run out of ideas.
so because you can easily recognize what it is it's unoriginal? and how are they more original than pidove? a shell, a ball of slime, and a seal are more original than A pigeon/dove?
you ideas of original are obviously different from mine.

and sorry if you find this rude:http://amastroph.deviantart.com/art/Spheal-with-it-nostalgiafags-205335603

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
werewolfsfury said:
Ursus Buckler said:
werewolfsfury said:
so because you can easily recognize what it is it's unoriginal? and how are they more original than pidove? a shell, a ball of slime, and a seal are more original than A pigeon/dove?

and sorry if you find this rude:http://amastroph.deviantart.com/art/Spheal-with-it-nostalgiafags-205335603
No, what I'm saying is that you can tell that they're distinctly Pokemon, and thus original. Also, if you read what I put first, you would have seen that I said that each generation has it's duff Pokemon. Jynx for example. No-one likes Jynx.
However, on the other hand, Pidove is a pigeon. You say that Seel is just a seal with a horn, but Pidove is just a pigeon. They couldn't even be arsed to put a horn on it, and that's what I think is the problem. The fact that they're getting lazier and lazier and Pokemon are becoming uglier and more and more like Digimon with every generation. When you have to choose a team out of monsters that you hate the least, there's a problem with the game.
I don't find that link rude at all. Fave'd, in fact. It's not that I think they're getting weirder that's the problem, it's actually quite the contary...
Also, chill the fuck out man, it's just a game.

Bigbomb94

Sep 3, 2011
Since I was so into Pokemon back then. I can easily identify a 1st or 2nd gen Pokemon within a millisecond.

3rd and 4th gen I have to think about. 5th gen I don't care.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
first, second, and third. 4th I would not be able to tell you the names of half of them, as 4th gen was shit.

5th I haven't played enough. I could most likely tell you if it were from 5th gen, but not all their names.

Pseudopod

Oct 8, 2010
All of them. I have my favorites, but every generation has some Pokemon I like. I prefer the huge selection we have now, especially in terms of team building. I love that it's easier for people to put together a team of Pokemon they like and be somewhat competitive than it ever has been, whether it's for beating the game or for online play. You aren't forced to use the Pokemon you dislike, and it seems like every list of "stupid" Pokemon includes some of my favorites.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Ursus Buckler said:
werewolfsfury said:
Ursus Buckler said:
werewolfsfury said:

No, what I'm saying is that you can tell that they're distinctly Pokemon, and thus original. Also, if you read what I put first, you would have seen that I said that each generation has it's duff Pokemon. Jynx for example. No-one likes Jynx.
However, on the other hand, Pidove is a pigeon. You say that Seel is just a seal with a horn, but Pidove is just a pigeon. They couldn't even be arsed to put a horn on it, and that's what I think is the problem. The fact that they're getting lazier and lazier and Pokemon are becoming uglier and more and more like Digimon with every generation. When you have to choose a team out of monsters that you hate the least, there's a problem with the game.
I don't find that link rude at all. Fave'd, in fact. It's not that I think they're getting weirder that's the problem, it's actually quite the contary...
Also, chill the fuck out man, it's just a game.
i don't really feel that that's how originality works but whatever

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
I recognize the other generations, I may even know a name here or there, hell I even played White version for a few hours but for me it's always gonna be the original 150/151/whatever the ones from the first few years. I still to this day know a lot of those ones by heart, I was just a little kid when the cards, show and games started coming out, I was at the perfect age to care about the first ones and too old to get that obsessed with the newer generations. So I'm not a pokebasher or anything like that but I really only love the first 150 and that's mostly from nostalgia.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
It's not like all of the first gen pokemon were creative... I mean

..... it's a seal... it's named seel....

Besides, I think some of the new guys are pretty kick ass.

Favourite gen is still 2 though.

jimbob123432

Apr 8, 2011
The only reason I know all 5 gens is because I've become an amateur tournament player, so I've had to learn all the gens.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I like them all, and I believe anyone who says otherwise isn't much of a fan to begin with. Sure, Gen V has some bad designs, but come on, now. Like Porygon and Jynx were smash hit designs.

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Sonny back in my day we only had 150 Pokemon, the game was in black and white and in 8-bits.
Whats that Mew? What in tarnation is that? Some sort of South American mouse?

That is this witch craft, a color game boy. BURN HIM AT THE STEAK.

What what that a Deeeee Essssss ? What is a Deeeee Essssss ? That looks like a woman's makeup kit.

magma

Jul 21, 2010
CO_Fimbulvetr said:
Also, the stories have always been improving, with the biggest improvement by far being in the most recent games, Black and White. Actually cared about what happened for once.
I found Black and White had the worst story.
1. They went pointlessly preachy but seemed rather scatterbrained on what to preach.
2. Advancement was CONSTANTLY obstructed by the main story. Previous games at least varied it a bit with smaller quests and allowed advancement to more routes/towns before outright blocking you. Black and White was horrible in that prevented ANY advancement beyond the current town or part of the next route, beyond what is needed to unlock the random ass block (no oceans or the like, things logical to block off a broke-ass, young, Pokemon trainer like in previous games).
4. Your "friends" obliterating the pace of the game by constantly stalking you and asking to fight was tiresome.

The main story being in the way all the time ruined black/white for me. Pokemon Black did not feel like I was playing Pokemon but Pokemon was happening in front of me, like a movie, like I was not needed for the game to be won and for Pokemon to be played. I also did not like that the team I chose seemed forced on me because only the dragon-type Pokemon have decent/useful/not ugly variants until after the main story.

The second worst main story for Pokemon is gold/silver (since you are mostly doing cleanup of red/blue's story) but the mix of story, side-quests, catch-able pokemon selection and the massive freedom of movement (well compared to any other Pokemon game) make it the most enjoyable Pokemon GAME for me.

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
I can only remember the 3 starter Pokemon from Red and Blue

From memory they were Bulbasor, Charmander and Squirtle
But after that I have forgotten, I enjoyed Pokemon but I was quick to move on and find something else to do, just wasn't my thing

So I guess that counts as the 1st Generation, or 3/151 parts of the 1st generation

magma

Jul 21, 2010
werewolfsfury said:
Ursus Buckler said:
werewolfsfury said:

Agreed. Almost every single Pokemon is based off an existing animal/object/myth/etc.... Go on Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net) if you don't recognize the sometimes obscure basis for any given Pokemon and it will rightfully ruin your child-like wonder.
IF the Pokemon didn't reflect our world/lore they would just feel alien lowering appeal/immersion/consistency of a mostly human world.

You can't judge the design of a Pokemon by how easy to tell what it references.
It is possible to rate any given Pokemon on how well it works... by if it matches the visual style of the series and if its description/role fits within the Pokemon universe BUT both of these needed guides Game Freak make sure to get right.