Poll: Which Harry Potter death affected you most? [SPOILERS FOR ALL 7 BOOKS/MOVIES]

Fbuh

Feb 3, 2009
Harry. He technically dd in 7. I am angry that he did not stay dead, though. I may yelled at for this, but I genuinely feel that the series would have been better if he and Voldemort had killed each other.

Giantpanda602

Oct 16, 2010
Fred. His death hardly impacted me in the movie, but it was a great part of the book. Especially because Percy was there, I think that's what did it for me.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Sirius's was the best, imo, although I was relatively young when I read it, so that may have affected my judgement. Snape's, Dumbledore's and Fred's were all huge as well, but I don't think that Lupin's death was handled very well, and, while Dobby's demise touched me, I forgot about it pretty quickly.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
Sirius Black. If found that while he was an interesting character, he seemed to lack a certain something that characters had. Maybe it was the fact that he sat in Grimauld Place the whole time and seemed like an angsty teen.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
Albus dumbledore for the film side of things, his face as he fell off the tower was just the most saddening thing to me.

In the books I would say Dobby's death was pretty memorable to me, he was such an amazing character. (which reminds me of WHY WASN'T HE IN MORE THAN LIKE 2 FILMS!).
He was in at least 3 books...Chamber of Secrets, Goblet of Fire and Deathly Hallows (he might have had small parts in some other books...I think Harry got him to spy on Malfoy in the 6th one or something?)

The 4th book is my favourite...but the movie was a let down (they should have separated the books into 2 movies starting with Goblet of Fire cos they cut so much from the book so they could make it 1 movie).

To stay on topic...Dumbledore had the most shocking death for me. He's Dumbledore FFS he's too much of a badass to die by Snape!

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Dobby by quite a large margin.

This little creature gets stamped and spit on his entire existence, barely scraping by even after he gets freed and is viewed by even his own people as a whackjob. His only friends are a drunken twerp who he takes care of only because he's a badass and no one else likes her either, and Harry, who honestly doesn't treat him very well either. Nonetheless he still helps the Order against Voldemort despite knowing how dangerous of a threat he is, just cuz' its the right thing to do.

And then at the end, he learns his friends are being held captive in the place which he is most terrified to return to, the place he spent years being tortured, which is guarded by several powerful death eaters and what does he do? He charges in and saves his friends, no matter the cost. And what does he get rewarded with for being arguably the bravest character in the series?

Not even a middle name in one of Harry's kids!

/sniffle

You're always number 1 to me Dobby.

Trivea

Jan 27, 2011
Fred, definitely. I've always had a soft spot for the Weasley twins, since their first appearance in King's Cross in Book 1, and Fred's death made me so genuinely angry that I had to put the book down and walk away for a few hours.

Before book 7 came out, though, I was vehemently denying Sirius's death and coming up with every loophole I could think of, but Fred narrowly edged him out to make him rank second.

I will say, honestly, that the movies did absolutely NOTHING to make me care about Remus and Tonks, so if I hadn't read the books their deaths would have meant zilch to me.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Tonks, by far. I don't even get why, she was after all a somewhat minor character, but I felt way worse when told Tonks and Lupin had died, than Dumbledore. Dumbledores death simply wasn't enough of a surprise. I guess I just took a liking to Tonks, she seemed like such a nice person.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hedwig...I mean...fuck..... rowling was the really nesicary?

oh and the broom..the broom was my favorite charachter :p

Gwarr

Mar 24, 2010
Tie Dumbledore and Sirius Black . Dumbledore was a clear winner till I read the 7th book and found out he actually planned his death . Snape death was more like ...oh he wasn't a dick , poor guy.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
My first choice would be Lupin and Tonks. I suppose it was the wiping of two fairly major characters at once, plus they had just had a kid together and Lupin was the last of the four Marauders. Lupin was also a fairly tragic figure and he had just kind of come to grips with that after a lifetime of dealing with it. Also their deaths happened 'behind the scenes' so it was kind of a shock as well to just be presented with it.

Second place would be Snape. I liked Snape throughout the series despite him being a bastard and I knew there'd be something more to his character. Rowling didn't disappoint and it was probably the revelation of Snape's story that was actually more effective than his grizzly death itself.

Third, Sirius. Mostly because I never felt his character had been given a real chance to develop. He was in the background in Prisoner, he made a few brief appearences in Goblet and once he finally began to get some substance in Phoenix he was taken out it a fairly cheap shot. Also in kind of mysterious circumstances.

Haven't seen the final film yet. Keep meaning too. It'll be out of cinemas by the time I finally get around to it.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
A lot of major deaths, like Fred, Dobby, Hedwig, Tonks and Lupin...

But I think the death of Snape affected me the most, considering how I was among the people who thought he was a bad guy... when I found out the truth, I was floored.

Made me feel like a real bastard...

Dec 24, 2009
Voldemort. With his death marks the end of a great series. If only he could have just killed Harry again, then went on a rampage...

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Fucking Fred Weasley. I only really read the last few books because I thought I may as well, but when he died I was really annoyed. The Weasley twins were awesome.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
As someone who never read the books Severus Snape's whole dead was pretty messed up to me.

The guy Harry shit on most of his life, even hated for years, was more of a friend/father to him than his 'idol' or actual, 'father'.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Snape, his death I think was the most emotional in the entire series.

"Severus, still after all this time?

...Always."

BAWWW.