Poll: Which horrible film should my Literature & Film class watch

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, Birdemic gave us this gem:

While The Room gave us countless lovely quotable quips like "You are tearing me apart, [Insert Name Here]!", "Haha, what a story, [Name].", and "I didn't do it, I did not hit herohi [Name]."

I think Birdemic would be a bit more boring, though. More of something for a Film class to watch and tear apart, while The Room actually has some writing to speak of.

EDIT: I derped a bit and didn't catch the words "Film Class" in title or the OP, I mean that the writing/acting in Birdemic is so utterly wooden and terrible that it almost defies ridicule, while The Room could grant some legitimate discussion from a literary standpoint because they at least tried. Horribly, but tried all the same.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
The Room. Birdemic is the Big Rigs of movies: it's broken in so many ways, there's absolutely no point in trying to analyze it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Pick something by Uwe Bowl.

There's plenty of 'o, wow, that's bad' movies.

His only 'decent' move was 'Postal'.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
If you'd like to watch a truly terrible movie, I'd go with Garbage Pail Kids.

FalloutJack said:
Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

Failing that, Night of the Lepus.

Failing THAT, The Green Slime.

Where would you even find Night of the Lepus? Scratch that, it appears to be on Youtube. I've actually never seen it, but I think that could work from an analysis standpoint. Isn't that movie essentially an allegory for the rabbit infestations in Australia?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
If you want a terrible movie to pick apart might I suggest SSSSSS. I shit you not, that is actually the title. Failing that you could always go with Manos: The Hands of Fate (and not the MST3K episode). Other possibilities: Cube 2: Hypercube.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Furbyz said:
If you'd like to watch a truly terrible movie, I'd go with Garbage Pail Kids.

FalloutJack said:
Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

Failing that, Night of the Lepus.

Where would you even find Night of the Lepus? Scratch that, it appears to be on Youtube. I've actually never seen it, but I think that could work from an analysis standpoint. Isn't that movie essentially an allegory for the rabbit infestations in Australia?
The movie is an entirely ridiculous allegory for rabbit infestations in Australia, and unfortunately Deforest Kelley signed himself to it.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Marter said:
There's nothing to really analyze in either of them, but I vote for The Room. It's (probably) funnier.
There is tons to learn from bad movies. Analyzing why they fail can be very insightful and help you avoid making those mistakes yourself. Also in terms of plot, a poorly told story with plot holes paves the way for very interesting alternate interpretations, like the widespread theory that Bella from Twilight is a psychopath.

Personally, I'd go with the Room, or Troll 2.

If you go with Troll 2, it would be awesome to make it a double feature with Best Worst Movie, which is a great documentary about the film. Best Worst Movie shows the film's cult following, what the cast has been up to since it's release, and a bit about what it was like making it, and the thought process behind the direction. It's is funny, tragic (some of the actor's lives since the film is heartbreaking to watch) and insightful, a perfect tribute and companion to the movie.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
The Room feels like it's trying harder, and it's a special kind of weird. Birdemic is really, really bad, but it's a very common kind of bad. But The Room is unique. Also hairy man ass.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
varulfic said:
There is tons to learn from bad movies. Analyzing why they fail can be very insightful and help you avoid making those mistakes yourself.
True, but not so much in a literature class, I would think.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
FalloutJack said:

Ok, that was one of the best intro songs I've ever heard. I am going to watch this movie because of this. I don't care if the rest is shit. Whoever made the musical number at the beginning deserves to have the rest of their creation seen by as many people as possible.

OT: I'm going to recommend The Box. It had a very interesting premise but the movie basically kills itself with bad acting and the most unsatisfying endings I have ever seen.

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
Don't just go for an overdone bad film where everybody can see that it was trying to follow the rules and failed miserably. Go for a batshit insane film that assaults your very notion of good filmmaking while holding onto the bare minimum of narrative cohesion. I present to you Casshern.

(Kind of sad embedding is disabled, but whatever.)

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The Room is so bad, it's good. Very funny movie.

However, Manos: The Hands of Fate is so bad, it can never hope to be so bad it's good. It isn't enjoyable on any level. Something I will never watch ever again in my life.

So really, either one is a winner.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Here's a better idea: Watch an episode of MST3K. They'll watch a bad movie AND rip it apart for you!

Might I suggest "Mitchell" or "Radar Secret Service"?

Edit: Oh, and the one they did on "Space Mutiny" is pretty damn funny.
"Too bad they set their phasers to miss..."
What about Eegah, Zombie Nightmare, Soultaker, or Manos?

OT: I'd go with Troll 2.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Either would serve the purpose well, but for the sake of avoiding potential awkwardness with The Room's decently graphic sex scenes, I'd go for Birdemic.