Poll: Which horrible film should my Literature & Film class watch

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
As far as I'm concerned, Birdemic is the better of the two because... it's so bad. It's so appallingly bad. The thing about The Room is that it's terrible, but not quite enough to be hilarious apart from in a couple of places (notably Wiseau and his unbelievable accent/ acting), which makes it... just plain bad. Birdemic, however, throws everything about the entire process of filmmaking out of the window, making it hilarious.

Steeveeo

Sep 2, 2008
For a Film & Lit class, I'd honestly have to say that Eragon would be my pick.

Why? Well, not only is it a bad movie, but it's bad for quite a few reasons that you could actually go into when analyzing it. It fits right into the spirit of the class, in my opinion, as you can dig into why and where the movie deviated from the book and why or why not it's detrimental.

However, if the poll selections are your only two choices, I'd say go with The Room.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
IMDB says "Titanic: The Legend Goes On".

...Which is an animated feature (I think the Nostalgia Critic covered it, in case you want some more info).

Runner up is "Daniel the Wizard".

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Sonicron said:
Watched quite a few really bad stinkers over the last couple of years. Feel free to torment your class with any one of the following:

- Dungeons & Dragons
- Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God
- Give 'em Hell Malone
- Green Hornet
- Jonah Hex

Of course, your choices are pretty damn excruciating as well, so go nuts with those if you want.
What the hell? Give'em hell Malone was a great movie, its a classic take of the detective noir style of movies. Theres nothing abjectly wrong with that movie.

The rest are just abuses of a license and while bad are not the kind of thing they would review in a film lit class since they are just commercial crap that gets shoveled out with little attempt at a message.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
If someone has already suggested this I apologize. I suggest Southland Tales. It's a terrible movie. But it thinks it's the smartest most clever movie you have ever seen. Honestly, you will probably watch the first 30 minutes or so, thinking that it is actually a pretty decent movie. This is a mistake. It is horrible and you will realize it about the time you watch two cars have sex. Yes, that happens. And a character even comments on it. It's almost like he was watching the movie with you, in disbelief.

If you want proof:​
This has nothing to do with the movie, but it's in there...
You guys can have fun trying to give meaning to this scene in the context of the film, but it is just too random to make sense.​

Xian_Frost

Jul 18, 2010
You should make them watch the The Room, but if not that then I've watched this terrible movie called Wake the Witch.

It's an Indie film with a small budget about this witch trapped in chains or something. A group of stupid teens accidentally release her and bad stuff happens. I can't really remember because the movie was like two hours long and about half way through me and my friend turned it into a drinking game.

Drink a shot every time you see a bad Hunter cosplay! It'll actually make the movie good to watch.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
snekadid said:
What the hell? Give'em hell Malone was a great movie, its a classic take of the detective noir style of movies. Theres nothing abjectly wrong with that movie.

The rest are just abuses of a license and while bad are not the kind of thing they would review in a film lit class since they are just commercial crap that gets shoveled out with little attempt at a message.
Every one of those movies I listed has a connection to a different slice of the literary realms, so they're all quite valid choices.
And Give 'Em Hell Malone was a jumbled mess of visual and literary stylistic devices with a crappy story and acting so bad I would have happily traded it for a root canal. Considering all the good noir movies, books and games I've come across over the years, that one movie is the proverbial turd on the wedding cake. Sorry dude, that's just my opinion, nothing you can do about it.

Birdfalcon

Jul 29, 2011
outlaw of gor...count how many times the hero's name is mentioned..barring that if your school allows R Rated movies "snakes on a plane" Which i actually kinda liked. Or go with the greatest bad movie of all time "Plan 9 from outer space"

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I would recommend either Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation, Being John Malcovich, or I Heart Huckabees. All of those are tied for, "Worst movie ever," in my mind. I honestly am ashamed to admit that I own Starship Troopers 2. :/

There... I said it. Now the healing can begin.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
pilouuuu said:
I'd say Tree of Life. It's probably the most horrid movie I've even seen. It doesn't make any sense, it's dull, boring, depressing, the characters are hateful and annoying, it's really pretentious. Some parts are like a glorified screen saver which looks good, but did I mention it's boring? Booooooring! Even the freaking dinosaurs can't save this movie from being complete crap.

Tree of Life is utter crap and it's probably one of the few times I regreted watching a movie.
What did you find didn't make any sense? I think calling it pretentious is a misnomer. It doesn't give a shit if you're not interested in it, but it does have observations which are explored an awful lot. Some of the breaks from the family (the ones which focus on the universe) do run too long though, at least in the first half.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Manos: The Hands of Fate has probably already been suggested, but allow me to add my +1 to it. It's magnificent.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
tsb247 said:
I would recommend either Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation, Being John Malcovich, or I Heart Huckabees. All of those are tied for, "Worst movie ever," in my mind. I honestly am ashamed to admit that I own Starship Troopers 2. :/

How is Being John Malcovich even a bad movie never mind worst of all time?

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Axolotl said:
tsb247 said:

How is Being John Malcovich even a bad movie never mind worst of all time?
The plot was jumbled, the story was ridiculous overall, and when the movie ended, I felt as though my time had been wasted by watching it. So, yes, I would rate it as horrible. I mean really? A twelfth-and-a-half floor? Magic door into John Malcovich's head?

In the end, it was too bizarre for me to classify as, "Good."

EDIT: I did get a good laugh whenever people were spit out onto the side of the highway after their time was up though. Something about that just made me laugh.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dunhart said:
lacktheknack said:
<youtube=WnHRqgmYY_k>
I just very literally laughed myself to tears while watching that.
Freaking greenscreen birds, how do they work...

Heaven help you if you ever find "The Amazing Bulk".

EDIT: Got the title wrong. Sorry! Here, have a trailer to make up for it.

<youtube=ywaR-Lq_ayk>