Poll: Which is Game Of The Year?

drmigit2

Dec 25, 2008
My list of the top 4 games (only ones that deserve mention, this is in no order as they are all different)

Witcher 2, Batman 2, Skyrim, Catherine.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
For me personally? Either Battlefield 3, Dead Island or Mortal Kombat. What the award will be for? Skyrim.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Even though I haven't played all of those, Skyrim lived up to my expectations and I personally believe it should be game of the year.

I can only judge fairly if I play all the games. Unfortunately, I'm poor :p

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Why is Minecraft on this list? It came out last year.

Also, you included The Witcher 2, but not Arkham City or Uncharted 3? Eh, not too sure about this poll, bud.

Phyrophobia

Aug 25, 2010
Kingjackl said:
Well the actual release of Minecraft was last Friday, when it official left the Beta. So it does make sense for it to be its own entry... in a way.

EDIT: My choice was Portal 2. I've yet to play Skyrim (computer troubles >.>), and the only console I own is a Wii so I wasn't able to play the big exclusives. I did watch a full Let's Play of Uncharted though and that looked like a solid enough game, if a little silly.

If not Portal 2 I'd have to say Human Revolution. I'm much too tired to leave a heavily articulated reasoning behind me, so I'll just assume that most people here have played it and know what I'm talking about.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Here is my top 5 games of the year.

1.Saints Row The Third
2.Infamous 2
3.Serious Sam 3
4.Skyrim
5.Portal 2

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Still can't decide between Ni no Kuni and Dark Souls, third would be The Witcher 2/Skyrim/Deus Ex/Infamous 2

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Phyrophobia said:
Kingjackl said:
Well the actual release of Minecraft was last Friday, when it official left the Beta. So it does make sense for it to be its own entry... in a way.
Maybe, but it still feels a bit thin. I mean, just about everyone played the beta anyway, and the game had already become something of a phenomenon. Maye a person could justify it in a year where not much good stuff came out, but when you have monsters like Batman, Uncharted 3 and Saints Row 3 not even making the poll, then including a game people were already familiar with last year feels a bit redundant.

OT: I'd definately vote for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Runners up Batman: Arkham City and LA Noire.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Top 4 in no particular order
Warhammer 40K Space Marine
Dead Island
Minecraft
Saints Row the Third

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Portal 2 was awesome, Saints Row the 3rd was ridiculously over-the-top fun, and Batman: Arkham City was everything I thought it was going to be. However, I just can't stop playing skyrim!!!

1. Skyrim
2. Saints Row the 3rd
3. Batman: Arkham City
4. Portal 2 (the others had more content and replay value)

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Skyrim will win only over the fact of hate mail and crusades will purge those who do not love the game indefinetly. It'll win SOMETHING but we all know it will come down to Battle Field 3 and Modern Warfare 3, NOT BECAUSE their good games, but over the fact those companies hash out money each year to fight each other over the title in Video Game Awards presented by Spike.

Honestly, Uncharted will win Action, Battlefield 3 will win shooter and Modern Warfare 3 will win Game of the Year, Skyrim will be RPG and then rest will be runner ups or get a category that is just a consolation prize.

My vote is for Minecraft, just due to how vast the game is.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Well I've still got my large gaming binge that happens at the end of every year so until I play this years other heavy hitters that I haven't played yet such as Arkham City, Skyrim, Serious Sam 3 and Assassin's Creed: Revelations then I'm going to hold off calling any game my 2011 Game of The Year for now.

But seeing as though you asked, my nominations are tied with Bulletstorm and Portal 2

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
The fact that I haven't stopped playing Skyrim since it has come out tells me it 'deserves' GotY. I'm serious, the controller is only put down for classes and sleep, and that means I have probably about 150 (give or take) hours on, it and I still love it.

I think runner up to Skyrim should be Minecraft. Come on people, it's infinite ?20ish Lego! cheaper than the expensive $100+ Lego they got out now a-days.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
To be fair you're limited in poll options, but this is still not the best poll. BF3 and MW3 shouldn't even be on here. The Witcher 2 should've shared a space with Dark Souls. Batman, Uncharted, and Zelda all need a place, though you might have to double up on the poll spaces. Just some constructive criticism for future reference, and we really need more poll spaces, don't we?

OT: Portal 2, unless I can hit 300 hours on Skyrim without getting bored.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Assassin Xaero said:
Skyrim will win because of how overrated it is. Half the fans need to get off their damn high horses, too. It's fucking annoying, it's your opinion, not a fact. Once again, Rage was my favorite of the year, but since it isn't a sequel it apparently doesn't exist.
Dude, there's no point coming in here just to be a hipster/troll because these are everyone's personal picks. It's not like your going to convince anyone to your point of view acting like that and there's not going to be a prize for winning a random poll. So how about you lighten up?

fishy009er

May 10, 2010
I only just got Skyward Sword today so if that manages to enthrall me more than Skyrim has, it will be Zelda. Otherwise it's Skyrim 100%

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
Skyrim is the newest game and it is still currently in hyped mode.
So, It is absolute that Skyrim is winner in such polls.

However, It can not be a "Game Of The Year", moreover not the "GOTY OF EVERY YEAR".
It is just overhyping a "new" game, that's all.

To talk objective
Skyrim is nearly as good as Morrowind in exploring, sightseeing and watching sceneries.
It has also the best crafting system in TES series (in my opinion).
However, It has the worst user interface in TES series.
Dumbed down the game so much that you can not even see information about buffs, their durations or how many buff you have at that moment. OK, I admit clearing GUI a bit can be helpful to players. However, unnecessarily amount of wiping functions of the game, makes it really dull experience.
Sadly in inventory management, item variety, menu functions, and similar aspects, it is the worst in the series.
Also the game engine is outdated, you feel like playing the game in low settings, thanks to the insufficiency of graphics, textures, lightning and shadows.

Battlefield 3 is better than Modern Warfare 3 in gameplay, graphics and multiplayer. However it's singleplayer story is not as meaningful as MW3's scenario. MW3 is very weak compared to BF3. I can admit MW3 is better than MW2 and Black Ops, however I really bored while playing singleplayer, even if the story was interesting.
Therefore I don't think both BF3 and MW3 is suitable for GOTY award.

Minecraft can be GOTY, has very interesting sandbox elements, enjoyable multiplayer moments.
Witcher 2 can also be GOTY, possibly the best RPG in this year.

Deus Ex 3, was a disappointment for me. It was something like "Deus Ex 1, for the consoles". It is better than DE2, and almost as good as DE1, however consolization of this game disturbed me a lot.

MY vote is on Portal 2. Every genre of players can like this. From the Modern Warfare-type players to the Battlefield type-players, from the Dragon Age 2-type of players to the Witcher 2-type of players, everyone played it and liked it.
Therefore I think it really deserves the GOTY award for this year.
Awesome story, interesting characters, varied gameplay, creative level desing makes this game awesome.
I finished this game 3 times consecutively and never bored in a moment.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
TOR is the game of the year.

As for community picks, it'll probably be Skyrim.

Firelordzero

Oct 2, 2011
Skyward sword all the way, there's only one thing I need to say BETTER THAN OCARINA OF TIME,Skyward sword is the best zelda game ever made, and in a series with as many quality and plain brilliant titles as zelda does that is saying something. Seriously PLAY THIS GAME