Poll: Which is worse - Hot weather or cold weather?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Hot weather. you can always add more clothes. There are only so many clothes you can take off before you run out....or get sent into jail.

plus sleeping is so much better in cold weather than hot weather.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Dags90 said:
Cold weather is definitely worse for me. I love hot, dry weather. My general shape also makes me very efficient at shedding body heat, high surface area to mass ratio.
awww, dry heat is cheating. It can be 100 degrees outside and it will feel like 70.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Ryotknife said:
awww, dry heat is cheating. It can be 100 degrees outside and it will feel like 70.
Eh, it's naturally less humid in the colder months where I live in terms of relative humidity, so my conception of cold weather is usually pretty dry. Cold and humid is awful though.

You're also a lot less likely to be killed by a window air conditioner than a room heater. Think about that.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Dags90 said:
Ryotknife said:
Eh, it's usually naturally less humid in the colder months where I live in terms of relative humidity, so my conception of cold weather is usually pretty dry. Cold and humid is awful though.

You're also a lot less likely to be killed by a window air conditioner than a room heater. Think about that.
dunno, im more likely to be killed by people in hot weather than during cold weather. Hot weather seems to make people go crazy, look at the crap that comes out of Florida and nearby areas.

Also, The zombie attack that happened (no joke) happened in during hot weather with high humidity.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Ryotknife said:
dunno, im more likely to be killed by people in hot weather than during cold weather.
Only because people are more active when it's warmer, hinting that most people prefer warmer weather even if they lie to themselves that they prefer winter.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Dags90 said:
Ryotknife said:
dunno, im more likely to be killed by people in hot weather than during cold weather.
Only because people are more active when it's warmer, hinting that most people prefer warmer weather even if they lie to themselves that they prefer winter.
well yea, people like warm weather. The topic at hand is hot vs cold weather :)

Course what is warm is subjective. I consider 40 degrees to be warm, I know people in the south that consider 80 degrees to be warm (which would be hot to me)

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Ryotknife said:

Course what is warm is subjective. I consider 40 degrees to be warm, I know people in the south that consider 80 degrees to be warm (which would be hot to me)
I've heard British people complain when it manages to creep beyond 77 (25C) and gets sunny. I'd consider 80 to be pleasantly warm in a t-shirt and shorts. There was one day in July when I was in Montreal where it was about 72ish, humid, and with a reasonable breeze; I switched from being cold enough to wear a thin sweater and light jacket to taking it off when the sun was on me.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Dags90 said:
Ryotknife said:

I've heard British people complain when managed to creep beyond 70 (25C) and gets sunny. I'd consider 80 to be pleasantly warm in a t-shirt and shorts. There was one day in July when I was in Montreal where it was about 72ish, humid, and with a reasonable breeze; I switched from being cold enough to wear a thin sweater and light jacket to taking it off when the sun was on me.
huh...i always thought Britian had a temperate climate, not too hot, not too cold. I hear that if they see snow they consider it the end of days.

funny story, In Alabama where I work (not live), in the winter time it will be below freezing in the morning. Afternoon? 80-85F (30C) ish with high humidity.

Annoying as hell.

EDIT: i keep forgeting that most people use Celsius and i was using Fahrenheit. Sorry about that folks, completely slipped my mind.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
Hot.

Because straight up... it's more painful.

It's gonna take a moment for the cold to set to causing pain of the numbing, burning, pinprick sensation. And then I'm not even sure now long it lasts.

But the heat... its discomfort is practically pain already. The sun's rays beating down on you. And it's only going to get worse.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Cold.
My ability to retain heat is almost non-existent, right now in my house it's 60-something, I'm wearing a hoodie (not too thick though) because heat is just so precious.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
im australian and anything about 26c is too hot for me, i love cold weather even when it gets down to -3 to -5 c
Trade with me? It's winter and I really want to feel the sun. A day on Bondi Beach would be pretty much heaven right now.

Now I really, really want to go to a beach. Thanks a lot, wombat.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm in Australia so we don't get incredibly cold but generally speaking we get both, and I've come to the conclusion that I hate HUMIDITY. I'm happy with hot or cold, but fuck humid weather. Overcast muggy hot without rain in the worst, I would say. I'm absolutely fine with dry and hot, raining and cold, dry and cold, but humidity leads to discomfort in all scenarios that don't involve precipitation.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Dislike hot weather more.

I start to freeze at around 30' Celsius if I'm in water. On land it really depends what I'm wearing, but generally under 25' Celsius I'll start to freeze. And by start to freeze I mean give it 3 hours and I'll have hypothermia, which is kinda a problem when its winter here. Nevertheless, I can use willpower and increase activity to heat myself and keep going, and I can put on extra layers of clothing to keep warm.
I can withstand heat quite well generally. Anything up to 38' Celsius is pleasantly warm, over 40' Celsius starts to get uncomfortable [Unless I'm in water, then 40' Celsius is the perfect temperature]. However, when I get stuck in heat, I can't use willpower and keep going to cool down - it just heats me up. I have to stop doing anything to cool down, which doesn't work if I'm working. In addition, if I am working or something, I can't shed layers. I can't work naked, and that's what's required to counter the heat sometimes. If I'm out I can't suddenly strip if it gets hot, whilst if it gets cold I can huddle up, buy an extra layer, or have though at bought one with me to wear.

It probably also comes down to how close I've come to losing consciousness thanks to each. I've hit hypothermia before, but other than being painful it wasn't that big a deal. Yesterday in the heat, however, I was about 10 seconds off passing out and had to leave work and go home, then have a cold shower and drink 2L of water before I felt close to normal again.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Cold simply because I get cold pretty easily. Besides, I would rather be naked than bundled up any day.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Hot weather is worse. As said before, it's easier to get warm than to get cool. Sleeping while hot is very uncomfortable, where as you can just grab another blanket if its cold.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
they're both a *****

heat haunts you all the time no matter how much or little you're wearing
cold can be countered by wearing more, but if the fucker sneaks into your clothing, you're fucked, it also doesn't help that it amplifies the pain of kicking a table leg by 500x

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Hot weather is the worst, for me. I can handle cold weather. Layer up on clothes or just having a heater in a room works just fine. Hot weather is a bit harder to handle especially if you don't have A/C or there are no cool breezes to blow through a window.

Duck Soup

Oct 24, 2009
Ryotknife said:
I beg to differ. I live in the Nevada desert and in the summer it gets to be a dry 120 degrees and it definitely doesn't feel like 70. You feel every degree here in the land of no-trees and nothing-but-sun. It's the worst because there's no escape from the heat, like I said no trees for shade. Half the buildings have no AC and the other half crank the AC down so low it's like 40 inside. That transfer from 120 outside to 40 inside is enough to make you sick.