Poll: Which is your favourite Mass Effect romance?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Ok so now it's all over (sob) and with the new romantic interactions added in Mass Effect: Citidel,
which is your favourite Mass Effect romance?
(If you clicked other tell us who and why)

To kick off, mine is Garrus, he projects this image of a cool, detached Turian in control, but underneath he's shy and worried, and as I've just learned in Citidel...

He's a mean dancer!

Ok Chaps, your go!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Liara's seems to work the best from what I've seen. Keep in mind I've only played MaleShep.

Tali was always really fucking weird to me because she seems like the "little sister" kind of character so when people go on about how much they love her and stuff... creepy.
Miranda and Ashley were about as bland as could be and Jack would have been alright if not for the horrible tear filled sex and also having my name. You don't know how much weirder that makes the whole romance concept.

putowtin

Jul 7, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Liara's seems to work the best from what I've seen. Keep in mind I've only played MaleShep.

Tali was always really fucking weird to me because she seems like the "little sister" kind of character so when people go on about how much they love her and stuff... creepy.
Miranda and Ashley were about as bland as could be and Jack would have been alright if not for the horrible tear filled sex and also having my name. You don't know how much weirder that makes the whole romance concept.
It's weird, I've just started a new runthrough with a MaleShep and was considering Tali as his potential love interest...
I may leave it now!

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Tali's the best... It's not creepy?

Actually since I always try and exhaust every possible dialogue option in all the squad conversations I always end up with nearly everyone hitting on Shepard at some point or I end up hitting on them and then reject them so I imagine things aboard the Normandy are pretty awkward most of the time anyway.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
putowtin said:
hazabaza1 said:

It's weird, I've just started a new runthrough with a MaleShep and was considering Tali as his potential love interest...
I may leave it now!
Different folks different strokes, my friend. If you want to don't let me convince you otherwise, it's just something I'll never do.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Steve is on here but not Miranda? pft.

My vote goes to Miranda, a badass operative who can be cold and calculating yet still cares deeply for her sister. And of course she looks good while doing it.

I like morally grey characters in general and I supported Cerberus before BioWare retconned them into full retard.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
its either The Miranda or Dat Ashley for me, I dunno guess I've never been into different species :/

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'd say Liara takes that prize. Granted, she was kinda silly in the first game. "Ohh, I'm so very sweet and innocent and find you so very fascinating!" However, her scenes in Lair of the Shadow Broker were excellent. Some of the better relationship-related writing I've seen in games. Gave the impression of two people who were very comfortable with one another. Plus old-married-couple style bickering. She was good in ME3 as well, with a definite bittersweet edge.

Second place goes to... Jack, I guess. Although that's more because it allows you to find out more about her. Still, it was kinda sweet. Although, like Hazabaza said, the whole crying sex thing in ME2 was creepy and horrible and rife with unfortunate implications.

Honourable mention to Garrus for being an all round cool guy.

putowtin

Jul 7, 2010
Jynthor said:
Steve is on here but not Miranda? pft.

My vote goes to Miranda, a badass operative who can be cold and calculating yet still cares deeply for her sister. And of course she looks good while doing it.

I like morally grey characters in general and I supported Cerberus before BioWare retconned them into full retard.
Come on I only get 8 spots on the poll and
1) One of them has to be other
2) I like Steve, I did a full run through with a new Shep just to see the relationship between the pair of them

Oct 30, 2010
I haven't played every romance, but of the ones I have played (Liara/FemShep, Jack, Tali and Garrus) Liara and Garrus are the best, and I personally prefer Liara's. It feels the most mutual and even.

Jack has a little too much magic penis to it and it is really easy for [my style of] Shepard to be a father figure to Tali, creeps ahoy!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Obvious choice for me, Tali. Dat ass and dat accent.

Though if your looking into it more in depth, I guess its the whole trust aspect with Tali. She risks her own health and even life in order to do the nasty. Now thats what I call commitment.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Jacob, obviously.

Ok, I can't say that with a straight face.

I don't really care about the romances, really, but if I had to choose, I'd go with Jack.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Oh man, this is difficult.

Liara is pretty much Bioware's "canon" romance I guess. Out of all the character's I think they focus on her romance (or the scenes anyway) the most. While I love what she does for Shepard, I just couldn't see myself with her. Still think she's a very good choice though.

I like Ashley and what she goes though in the games, but her romance itself leaves a lot to be desired. Even with the Citadel DLC it seems a bit bland.

Kaiden is the go to romance for FemSheps I guess. I've never really seen his romance arcs fully (always felt he was a good guy, not romance material. Might have to do with his personality.), but I love his romance scenes, even with MaleShep.

Thane's is heartbreaking, but you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into by choosing him. I thought he was OK. His romance, especially with the recent Citadel DLC though, is too much (in a good way).

Garrus is pretty damn awesome. If I was playing a FemShep, I would choose him without question. MaleSheps are just settled with a bromance, lol. But seriously, Garrus has a bunch of good scenes, and even if you turn him down in ME3, he takes it like a champ.

Jacob...well, the less said about that the better. Dem Abs aint worth it.

Jack is another good choice, but I felt like a got a bulk of her character and what she was simply by talking to her. But I guess out of everyone she changes the most, which helps the romance.

Miranda always felt like a replacement Ashley, only with better romance scenes. Not that its a bad thing.

Steve and Traynor are great characters in themselves, and for anyone holding out for a gay option that isn't Liara/Kaiden, then these two are really good choices.

I personally chose Tali. She was just too damn cute, and the way she and Shepard interact especially in ME3 is really good. Plus if you chose Ashley in ME1, she is totally cool with you going with Tali!

Its hard to say since some of the romance changes are very small for some, with bigger ones for others. Some can be great characters with crappy romances, but others have good romances with crappy characters.

But if I had to pick...probably Tali, Kaiden, or Liara. Maybe Garrus too although I think Shepard eases into these three the easiest and not out of the blue.

socialmenace42

May 8, 2010
Tali, hands down. Even before citadel, although her sing-along to fleet and flotilla is just so adorable, I always felt that Tali is the perfect example of how unique characters are sometimes even better developed if they DON'T have a face. Also she seems so honestly enamoured with shepard, right the way from ME2, following her serious development from ME1, the romace just makes sense. Also her farewell from shepard in the extended cut DLC is heart-rending, still gets me kinda choked up (MAN TEARS!)

For Fem-Shep, I'd have to say Kaidan, who I feel is one of the very best voice-acted characters in the whole series anyway. Gotta love Garrus, but i always saw him as more of a buddy than anything else, who's always there for you when you ned him and who you need to set bck on the straight annd narrow once in a while.

...Oh my god .... I've friend-zoned garrus...

special mention goes to Jack, who I realy missed as a crew member in ME3, largely because i aproved so muxh of the character progression between 2 and 3. But the romance was always a bit obvious, the wounded, mentally scarrd psychopathic ***** wou just wants to be loved. However endearing the romance ended up being in ME2 despite the contrived premise, it was such a shame about jack missing from the crew in ME3 that I never continued that romance. Would have loved to see where it went if jack stayed on the normandy.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I picked Jack because she has actual character development because of the romance, while most of the others stay the same regardless.

As for the rest of them, I think the Tali one is cute, but a bit silly. I'm actually not a fan of the ME1 romances - the difference in rank ought to keep Ash/Kaidan from hitting on Shep, and Liara always strikes me as a little too girlish at that point - but that's a personal thing (I feel like Liara matures over the series and by ME3 Kaidan is essentially Shep's equal, so I actually like both of those at that point).

I liked Miranda's, but there's not much to it (although I really like her final scene if she dies romanced). And while I think Cortez has a lot of amusing dialogue, I think the set-up to his romance is a bit creepy considering the whole mourning plot. And Kelly barely counts, right?

I've never managed to finish a femShep playthrough beyond the first game, so I can't really give a fair answer to any of those. Maybe eventually though, just to get the

slapping Jacob part in the new DLC

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Liara, 100%. Playing a Male Shep in ME1, it was a choice between an exotic, intellectual and friendly alien or a xenophobic, Bible thumping and annoying human. The choice was obvious. Thought it was only right for my Shep to stay faithful throughout ME2 and he was rewarded with the great Shadow Broker DLC and their further interactions in ME3.

Sep 14, 2009
ashley > garrus > miranda > liara

liara was so...odd in the first game, like written in a bad way "odd".

garrus is a fucking bro through and through in every game, gotta love it.

ashley I always liked her loyalty and her distrust for aliens is only seated from her family's history that constantly follows her, she doesn't actually hate aliens, and there are multiple "bro" moments between her and garrus if i remember right in some of the dialogues

miranda, because she can be cold and calculated, but also very caring and loyal to her family (sister, her dad is a fucking asshole and it's nice she can go back to cold/calculated mode when dealing with him.)

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Liara. It seamed like the most genuine to me, the dialogue that is. Followed in a close second by Garrus, because he still stays your bro even after committing.