Poll: Which is your favourite Mass Effect romance?

Images

Apr 8, 2010
Tali is just creepy Shepard worship.

Jack, now that's a relationship arc. Fight under a hardened shell to reach the emotions underneath.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Liara without a doubt.

She's the only one that felt like a true equal to Shepard. The others would follow him into hell and Garrus always has his back but Liara's the one standing next to him. At least that's how I saw things.

First game she was somewhat awkward, I fully agree. But even then she was much more central to the plot than any of the others. Once she became the Shadowbroker she was, in my opinion, a character as important and central as Shepard himself.

All the others feel like side quests. Liara's the main quest. To me anyway.

C4tt4nn4

Oct 26, 2012
i'm a big kaiden fangirl. he's just so... normal. its nice.

garrus, jack, and miranda tie for second. Garrus for being pretty darn awesome, miri for being so suave, and jack for being jack.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
The way each romance plays out it's clear that the main intended romance character is Liara. She gets the most 'screen time' when it comes to the romance sub plot you could say.

That being said, my favourite was Jack. I liked how complicated yet at the same time rather simple everything was in the relationship. Plus Jack's my favourite character anyway. A bit over the top here and there, but still my favourite.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
putowtin said:
Ok so now it's all over (sob) and with the new romantic interactions added in Mass Effect: Citidel,
which is your favourite Mass Effect romance?
(If you clicked other tell us who and why)

To kick off, mine is Garrus, he projects this image of a cool, detached Turian in control, but underneath he's shy and worried, and as I've just learned in Citidel...

He's a mean dancer!

Ok Chaps, your go!
Funny thing is that I've played a LOT of characters through the Mass Effect trilogy, I'd say a good 90% of them romanced Liara, but I had a few that branched off just for the experience. As luck would have it, when I loaded up ME3 again to play the last DLC, I picked my engineer (I like the way that class works in ME3), completely forgetting that it was the one character that actually romanced Garrus. And one thing I can say...while he might have been a bit shy and bashful about the relationship in the normal game, apparently for Citadel it's Turian Mating Season because good lord he just NEVER lays off with inuendo after inuendo of "I'm gonna show you my mass relay and hope things don't progress at FTL speeds..." (not a real quote, but seriously, almost every line he says is about how much sex he and FemShep are going to be having soon).

That said, as I mentioned, the majority of my characters romanced Liara. It seems to me that Liara is the "canon" romance choice of the series, given the way things play out. You romance her in the first game because "Hey! Cute, sweet blue bisexual alien chick!" Yet even if you don't romance her in the first game, according to the back story of ME2, she is the ONLY crew member who went looking for your body when you died. If it weren't for her, you'd have ended up getting taken by the Shadow Broker and sold off the the Collectors. Clearly she cares very deeply for Shepard. Add to it the fact that, no matter if you romanced her or not, she's still got the most actual "cut-scene conversations" (as opposed to just walking up and initiating a few lines of automated dialogue) of any of the crew members. On top of THAT, many of those cut-scene conversations are rather romantic in nature (such as the Time Capsule scene and the final farewell where she takes you into her mind to show you her memories at the very end of the game).

So when you add all that up, it makes me pretty certain that Liara was meant to be Shepard's love interest. But beyond that, I love her sweet, gentle personality and voice mixed with the ruthless conviction to pull the trigger when it's necessary.

Feb 22, 2009
Torn between Kaidan, Thane, and Jack. Kaidan because he's a character who, though he may be whiny, genuinely thinks deeply about everything that happens on your mission, and always has some interesting point of view on things to give you. I like that about him. Or Jack because she's a complete fucking psycho but during the course of your relationship you actually get to find out why, and get her to open up to you a bit. Thane because his species' way of thinking is very unique and intriguing, and also just because it's so fucking tragic, jeez.

Garrus and Tali are off the table because I generally think of them as Shepard's best friends rather than someone he/she would find romantically interesting - and because the relationship they have with each other if you leave them alone is just adorable. Liara's general awkwardness is interesting but she's not a massively unique character, and pretty much becomes completely boring once she's 'matured' into the cold calculating figure she is from 2 onwards. Steve seems like a well-rounded character but I've never tried his romance so I can't judge.

I'm gonna go for Kaidan, if only out of nostalgia for the old days of ME1. And out of annoyance at Jack's appalling hairstyle in 3.

GZGoten said:
its either The Miranda or Dat Ashley for me, I dunno guess I've never been into different species :/
Those, along with Jacob, were always pretty much my least favourite romance options. The only way you could make something worse was if Vega was a romance option too. All just completely and utterly unlikeable, reprehensible characters. Also, Miranda is not even attractive. There, I said it. Pounce on me, Miranda fans.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Liara has the best romance for me. It feels the most...natural I guess. Like an actual romance would go. Completely and utterly in love and tripping over herself at first. Then the honeymoon stage fade and she grows distant, starting to live her own life and Shepard is no longer the center of her thoughts. But then Shepard comes back and that old flame is rekindled--that scene with her in Lair of the Shadow Broker rings very true, where you grab her back and she gasps. Finally, you get the flirting and cautious hope that comes after years of on again, off again relationships that finally builds into a real, actual relationship.

And then Shepard dies and BioWare says, "Sorry, no blue children for you, losers!" Sorry about that. I'm still a bit bitter.

Other thoughts: Tali's good, I just wish Male Shepard's voice didn't sound like that. Tali sounds genuine, but Male Shepard never sounds like he's returning the feelings. Just that he's reading from a script, which kills it for me.

Kelly. BioWare, WHY DID YOU TAKE HER OUT OF THE GAME?! Red hair, super sweet, playful, and has a very naughty side. WHY?!

Jack: If only she wasn't so...angry. Yeah, I know that she calms down if you pursue her, but those first few steps. And again, Male Shepard's voice just...ugh. Female Shepard I wouldn't have a problem with, but Jack has apparently decided to go straight for the time being.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
1. Liara
2. Miranda
3. Jack

How did you manage to include Steve in the poll and forget Miranda? That ass wasn't memorable enough?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Your poll seems broken. Miranda and Ashley are absent, yet for some insane reason Tali and Kaidan are there.
I especially don't understand Kaidan. I know they had intended for him to be a romance in the early development stages, but then they decided to have a scripted sequence where he gets nuked instead. A great improvment.
I personally would go with Ashley.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Well if they were continued from the 2nd, to the third I'd say Jack or Garrus.
Probably because they are both some badass mates and team mates.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
Miranda and Liara tie in my book. Miranda would probably win if she had gotten more screen time in 3 (although Citadel DLC helps a bit). I don't understand the hate for Miranda, whereas Tali gets a free pass. Sure Miranda starts off as a bit of a *****, but a bit of character development later reveals that unlike the superiority complex a lot of people assume she has, she actually feels inferior to Shepard. I usually stay faithful to whatever character I'm romancing, but I've watched all the break up scenes on youtube. Miranda is the only one who seems crushed if Shepard leaves her, which shows what a difference he made to her life. What, a character with layers to their personality? Evidently gamers don't like this sort of thing because good old useless one dimensional Tali is everyone's favorite. I've already ranted about this in another thread, so I'll just quote that post here:

I seriously never understood why she's one of the more popular characters. Let's look at some facts:

Every single conversation with her in the first game is her whining. Oh we're the victims despite us attacking the geth first. Oh Shepard, I can't sleep because the ship is too quiet. Oh Shepard, I'm feeling sick. Oh Shepard, could you give me data you got so that I don't have to complete my own pilgrimage. She starts off the same in the second game as well. Oh Shepard, I've gotten my whole squad killed. Oh Shepard, I've gotten my whole squad killed... again! Bleh

She literally can't do anything on her own. First game: is stupid enough to think she can meet the shadow broker and gets attacked by two bit thugs and needs to be rescued. Second game, loses control of the squad she's supposedly in charge of and as a result, they all die. Later, during another mission she's in charge of she not only fails in her objective to figure out what is wrong with the sun, but once again gets her entire squad killed (unless Shepard manages to save Reegar). I won't hold her responsible for getting charged with treason, because that was her father's fault, but once again she needs to be rescued because she can't handle the situation on her own. Third game, she either dicks around doing nothing if Shepard didn't save her from getting exiled, or she fails to prevent a war because she's not assertive enough.

My favorite love interests (Liara or Miranda for male, Garrus for female) all ask for Shepard's help on occasion, but they are all capable of doing things on their own as well. Liara runs the Shadow Broker's empire, and saves Shepard's body from being given to the collectors. Miranda uncovers the secret behind Sanctuary, and of course brought Shepard back to life. Garrus wipes out whole gangs on Omega and organizes the Turian Military for war. What the hell has Tali ever done on her own?

My assumption is that she appeals to players with white Knight syndrome, because she constantly needs to be rescued, and because of her immune system is all delicate, manly male players can feel like they have to take care of her or some shit like that. Also, because you can't see her face, it can be whatever you want it to be, which to imaginative nerds like us I guess would be appealing.

Seriously, she annoys me more than the virmire survivors seem to annoy everyone else, because she has a personality, but it is just so god damn useless and annoying. Also, on a personal note, she sounds like my grouchy polish grandmother.

Nothing Tra La La

Feb 10, 2010
For FemShep, Garrus hands down. He and Shep start out as buddies and slowly get to know each other and get over both of their reservations about the others species. There's a huge amount of mutual respect between them. It's one of the few romances that isn't based on physical attraction, but friendship and emotional support. They obviously care a lot about each other and are just so ridiculously compatible. Garbear 4 lyfe, yo.
For DudeShep, I'm kind of torn. I prefer Liara with a FemShep for whatever reason and prefer an unromanced Jack (though her Citadel romance scenes were really great). I think Tali is my pick, mostly for the same reasons that Garrus is so great; she's Shep's friend before anything else. She obviously grows up a lot between the first and second games, and her kind of awkward crush on Shepard is just really endearing. By the third, she's grown into a confident young woman but still retains her nerdiness. I think she's just the perfect compliment to Shepard.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Tali wins it for me. She's just too cute. Plus her relationship with Shepard feels like it evolves the most naturally.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Sort of Tali but I really dislike that they have sex. Aliens having sex with each other absolutely breaks my suspension of disbelief. Its hard enough to accept them looking so humanoid never mind them sharing slot A and rod B.

If it were the humans, I actually like Miranda the most because it reflects well on her character, you can learn more about her through a relationship than through talking, which isn't quite true of Tali or Garrus (and Liara is dull as and as much as I like Thane, I didn't buy the relationship. Kaiden is a plank. Ashley is unbearable in 2 out of 3 games and only tolerable in the first. Jacob is a plank. Jack is good, but with the way she's been in so many people out for themselves in a relationship I'd prefer Shepard to keep it at friends so she can have a healthy unpossessive relationship with someone for the first time ever) The only other option is Chambers, but you can't really have a proper relationship with her.

With Miranda you can see her insecurity and even her sex scene shows off her desire to conquer people and be the best. The relationship felt most like something other than Twue Wuv which works better because the time frame fits and the circumstance fits. Shepard fills an obvious need for Miranda and I think that Miranda could offer something to a Paragon or a Renegade Shepard, she's the edge to the paragon, the person who gets things done and she's the calculating factor in renegade.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Nothing Tra La La said:
For FemShep, Garrus hands down. He and Shep start out as buddies and slowly get to know each other and get over both of their reservations about the others species. There's a huge amount of mutual respect between them. It's one of the few romances that isn't based on physical attraction, but friendship and emotional support. They obviously care a lot about each other and are just so ridiculously compatible.
This is how I feel too, I love this confession:

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
Traynor Traynor Traynor Traynor Traynor a billion times over. In the first two games I played them several times to see all the romances, as well as alternate paths, but then I got 3 and Traynor opened her mouth. Played that game several times now, but I can't bring myself to romance anyone else.

Apart from her obvious hilariousness (seriously the best jokes in the entire game are from her romance path), I think the reason I liked Samantha so much is that I felt like her story arc kind of fit well in the whole structure of the game itself, mirroring it. Shepard had to leave Earth to save it, promising to come back, and at the end, Shepard must leave Traynor to save her, promising to come back.

After her though, in order from best to worst: Garrus/Thane, Liara, Jack, Kelly, Miranda, Tali, Samara Ash/Kaiden, Steve, Jacob, Morinth, Allers. Actually just boot Allers from that list it doesn't count and is not good.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
putowtin said:
Ok so now it's all over (sob) and with the new romantic interactions added in Mass Effect: Citidel,
which is your favourite Mass Effect romance?
In canon gameplay, Liara (for whom I voted).

She's in all three games (with Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC) and the arc feels consistent.

Also, she's bi, so she can get with my lesbian FemShep.

Overall though? Tali. The fact that they didn't let her be bi is a fricken crime.