Poll: Which is your favourite Mass Effect romance?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
putowtin said:
Aparently the voice actor didn't want to do the voice for a bi relationship
Tali's VA? Where'd you hear that? (ie, Link Me)

I'd only ever heard about Male Shep's face model not wanting to be associated with anything "gay" and contractually forcing them to keep Male Shep straight throughout ME1 and 2 (and therefore FemShep to keep both sides fair).

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
I'm glad someone stuck up for Kaidan. He can be a bit dry but is a good guy, and my FemShep choice. Couldn't pull the trigger with Garrus; he's the BFF. Also, too scaly and alien. Yeah, I'll go there.

TheCommanders said:
Correct me if I'm missing something, but as far as I'm aware she only ever asks for one favor, provide backup while she extracts her sister.
There's Miranda's loyalty mission in ME2, until ME3, where at least you have an option to deny her another request for help over the same problem. From what I read it is possible to learn about the control chip early on, but I think most people first learn in her confession in ME3. This simultaneous request for help and the "oh by the way, you should first know something..." is just, wow.

And I wasn't asking Miranda to put her arm around Jack and sing to her, but at least tell her what she wants to hear and be smart. There's a suicide mission on the line. And even if she has a valid defense, her reaction to siding with Jack is immature and unprofessional. All said I hope you can see where some of the legit "hate" originates.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I always liked Ashley. I thought she had a decent personality, and the poetry was a nice touch. Also, I appreciated that they made her more attractive in ME3 but she also seemed more shallow or less talkative in that version.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
AgedGrunt said:
There's Miranda's loyalty mission in ME2, until ME3, where at least you have an option to deny her another request for help over the same problem. From what I read it is possible to learn about the control chip early on, but I think most people first learn in her confession in ME3. This simultaneous request for help and the "oh by the way, you should first know something..." is just, wow.
Actually, she explicitly tells you that she wanted a control chip in the first one on one conversation you ever have with her (just after you speak to the illusive man for the first time and before you leave for Freedom's Progress. It is technically possible to miss that conversation (although playing a game like mass effect, I always make sure to talk to everyone), but I never have. If you miss that, I can see how her admission in the third game would come as a bit more of a surprise. Part of the reason I was ok with it was her honesty up front, and if you missed that, it would make her seem a bit more conniving.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Steve is on the list but not Traynor?

Traynor is my answer, She and Tali were the only romances that were really hot on Shepard, (And Kaiden in ME 3 and Liara in ME 1, but I digress)

Samantha was the best executed part of ME 3, her dialog actually changed dependent on whether or not you fucked her. (Fully clothed in a shower stall but still...) She talked to you like a girlfriend and not like Liara who talked to you like...? uh? Who didn't talk to you at all or like Garrus where only half his dialog changed if you romanced him. So he'd be all heartfelt and lovesick on the Citadell but when you talked to him all alone on the Normandy he'd just spout off one liners at varying levels of badassness.
Tali was good, but she was sort of tight lipped when you tried to talk to her down in engineering, and for as romantic as all her dialog is it's the same regardless of whether or not you.
My first ME3 playthrough was with my Shepard who romanced Tali in 2 there was this really good romance scene on Ranoch where she talks about building a house and Shepard calls her a turtle and hands her a stone (In a totally romantic way) and my heartstrings went a twitter.
Then on my second playthrough I used my Renegade ***** pants Shepard who didn't give a fuck about Tali's feelings or her stupid planet and on Ranoch I got this really awkward scene where Tali was babbling on about some window or something and then out of god damn nowhere Renegade Shep totally breaks character and tries to comfort her through an emotional moment...
And I was like: ***** you didn't even hug her when she found her dead dad and now you're giving her presents? What the actual fuck Bioware?

So yeah Traynor. Excellently written romance mostly because romancing her or not makes a difference.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I'm gonna be odd and say there wasn't really any good romance options but the Bromance between Male Shep and Garrus was my favorite.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
putowtin said:
Aparently the voice actor didn't want to do the voice for a bi relationship
Tali's VA? Where'd you hear that? (ie, Link Me)

I'd only ever heard about Male Shep's face model not wanting to be associated with anything "gay" and contractually forcing them to keep Male Shep straight throughout ME1 and 2 (and therefore FemShep to keep both sides fair).
I read about Tali VA not wanting to do the bi relationship before ME3 came out, can't remember where... sorry

AgedGrunt said:
I'm glad someone stuck up for Kaidan. He can be a bit dry but is a good guy, and my FemShep choice.
My gay Shep's choice ;)

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Steve Cortez ftw. Dude was kind, responsible, struggling to overcome a deep personal tragedy, still managed to have a sense of humour, was damn good looking, he was loyal despite danger to himself, and he was pretty knowledgeable about vehicles and logistics. Sure, the execution of the dead husband backstory wasn't exactly stellar, but I appreciate effort and good intentions above all else, and having a normalised gay character that nobody comments on (and the fact that he's gay and not just bisexual, as pretty much every other same-sex romance available) was just jaw-droppingly progressive.

Cortez all the way.

Kaidan was close, though.

Doinstuffman38

Dec 1, 2009
I absolutely fell in love with Tali's voice in ME1. And got super excited when I heard she was romanceable for 2 (and when she first shows up, and she sounds and appears older) and I had to go for it. I love that storyline, mainly because of the whole "love is blind" vibe to it, even though you (the player) never sees her face (discounting the picture she gives you). A great romance. But I also enjoyed Liara and Ashley's if you carry them through all 3 games.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
With my Shepard, specifically... Kaidan. (My Shepard is male.)

But, overall... I would say Thane's. I've never played it, but I've seen the videos, and it seems to play out well and really work.
I actually don't like any of the female romance arcs. I like some of the characters- especially Jack- just not the romances.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Liara, because typical guy's blue alien fantasy >.>

But seriously, I never really cared, I just did it once for the achievement.

captcha: tastes good

hmmm, space taco...good?

Mr. Bombastic

Oct 8, 2013
Emperor Palpatine. Wait, you said in Mass Effect? Oh, Tali then. She goes from wide-eyed rookie with a crush in the first one, to full-on admiral and mature woman in the third one. The way Shepard helps her along the path, and comforts her after her father dies, giving her the attention she didn't receive growing up, makes for a great romance. I like the options with Liara and Jack, as well, but I wasn't really feeling Miranda for some reason. I liked Ashley in the first one (it was the first romance I went with) but her complete betrayal of you in the second one ruined her to me. In any case, Tali now and forever.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Garrus. Hands down Garrus. I'd explain it but ProJared does it so much better than I can. Keep in mind, this is from back in his Screwattack days (you know, before they sucked).