Poll: Which Jaeger was your favorite?

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
I don't get it... I watched this today... I almost fell asleep... It was entirely too long and I didn't give a crap about any of the characters... it was boring. I mean everyone has an opinion, i just didn't like it.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
Another vote for Crimson Typhoon for its extra arm making it interestingly differnt, also red makes everything cooler. Really hoping we get to see more of it in action in the extras on the DVD/Bluray, also Cherno Alpha, which apparently has a flamethrower we never got to actually see. (You can use it in the fighting game they released.)

Beautiful Tragedy said:
I don't get it... I watched this today... I almost fell asleep... It was entirely too long and I didn't give a crap about any of the characters... it was boring. I mean everyone has an opinion, i just didn't like it.
It does seem to be one of those love it or hate it films. After my first viewing I was so blown away by it that I went and spent three times the cost of my first ticket to watch it again in 3D at an IMAX. I was so thrilled (both times) that I was on the edge of my seat and squealed out loud with joy at some of the reveals. My boyfriend was so caught up in it he was in tears by the end and he said his cheeks hurt from grinning so much.

I don't know what it is that hits such a chord with some people that completely flies other other people's heads but hey, that's art for you. :p

Beautiful Tragedy

Jun 5, 2012
lisadagz said:
I don't know what it is that hits such a chord with some people that completely flies other other people's heads but hey, that's art for you. :p
It doesn't fly over my head, it was just boring... way to long, and i had ZERO interest on whether any of the characters lived or died... none of them were sympathetic, they were all very shallow cookie cutter archetypes.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
Which jaeger was your favorite? I know there weren't many to choose from.
I wish we could have got more backstory on the Russian and Chinese crews, and Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha would have got more screentime/kicked more arse. Would have been neat to see more of the Coyote Tango.

As for Kaiju, I think Otachi was my favorite. Anyone else think particular kaiju were paying tribute to certain monsters? Otachi made me think of Rodan. Leatherback-King Kong.

gazumped

Dec 1, 2010
Beautiful Tragedy said:
lisadagz said:
It doesn't fly over my head, it was just boring... way to long, and i had ZERO interest on whether any of the characters lived or died... none of them were sympathetic, they were all very shallow cookie cutter archetypes.
I don't mean fly over people's heads like there's some kind of intellectual thing they're not getting, but like there's some emotional thing that they're not getting. I thought the archetypes thing really worked with the film as it was entirely a mish-mash of influences from probably a couple dozen or more different films and TV shows (although personally I was totally sympathetic with all of them and got very emotional for them at the right times but I find that kind of thing pretty darn easy). Del Toro basically wanted to take everything he loved about this genre of entertainment and stick it all together. Although I think he did a bloody good job with making Mako much more than a pretty love interest.

It seems the people who didn't like it don't like it because the story is shallow, cheesy and unrealistic while the people who did like it like it because it was visually well crafted with good pacing and choreography. I think it depends on what hits you harder, the writing or the directing.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pinkamena said:
I really liked Crimson Typhoon, with it four spinning knife arms.
It's three, but otherwise; hell yes.

I really appreciated the distinctive ruggedness of Cherno, they sure as hell have the best drift suits, but in terms of pure cool Crimson wins for me. It had the least bland ways of attack as well. Bloody shame we got to see so little of both though.

I was actually surprised why they were the only Jaeger to use bladed weapons from the get-go. Seeing as how freakin' easily the later added blades of the other two Jaegers were cutting through those kaiju I just don't get why they didn't equip every Jaeger with wrist mounted blades. Why stick with punching.
lisadagz said:
I was so thrilled (both times) that I was on the edge of my seat and squealed out loud with joy at some of the reveals. My boyfriend was so caught up in it he was in tears by the end and he said his cheeks hurt from grinning so much.
Well that sounds familiar. We were basically two fangirls going crazy. The other cinema-goers were like "What..."

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Stryker Eureka was my favorite, if only for the way that it absolutely wrecked the Kaiju after it breached Australia's sea wall.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Coyotte Tango!!! :D Mainly because its design is almost like the RX-77-2 (Guncannon) from the Mobile Suit Gundam series, and which from I understand, was the Mech that Idris-effin-Elba (heh, my gramps share the same first name!!!) piloted.

2nd has to be Striker Eureka, since as a Japanese Mech lover, I tend to favor speedy and agile Mechs over overly-bulky Mechs.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Cherno Alpha.

Nothing says awesome more than a 300 foot robot smashing its fists together to pump itself up for a fight.