Poll: Which Pokemon Gen did you start off with?

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I remember getting Pokemon Red an Blue as well as a Gameboy for a birthday, and I've played the main games of every generation since. They were probably the first video games I played.

What I remember most is that it took me ages to navigate my way through Mt Moon, I have no idea why it took me so long, and once I got to Cerulean City, I ran into my rival before saving or going to the Pokemon Centre, so I had to do it all over again.

I also remember discovering the glitch of Cinnabar Islands shore and using it to catch a Snorlax and Golbat both above Lv 100. If they gained any experience they "leveled up" to Lv 100 so I only used them to battle other people.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
1st, way back in elementary school. Shortly afterwards the school banned gameboys. :D

Played Blue so often that the way through places like Mt. Moon is engraved into my brain.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
darksakul said:
A Weary Exile said:
First, and played every single one except Black/White.
Same thing here. Started off with Pokemon Red. For some reason reason Pokemon Black and White didn't appeal to me. My Friends told me I am not missing much, as this Pokemon games appears rushed and too influenced by Final Fantasy.
How do you figure? Keeping in mind I've only tried playing two FF games in my life and didn't finish either.

OT: Pokemon yellow was my first, when I was six or something, so 1st gen like almost everyone here. I'm actually surprised at how many people didn't start there.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Solo-Wing said:
Gen 1. Pokemon Red version. Though Gen 2 was the one that stuck for me. It had so much more that I loved.
Same for me, here.

PS: I love your avatar!

I started with Gen 1, naturally, though my favourite is and will always be Gen 2 (You can't beat Crystal Version, you just can't). It rapidly tailed-off for me after that ,though I did enjoy FireRed and LeafGreen (not sure how much they count considering they were remakes).

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
1st Gen, my sister got Silver gave me her red and blue, absolutely loved them. Gotta get back to playing pokemon, actually!

Red 3mu

Mar 29, 2011
ShadowsofHope said:
I liked Digimon cards better though, for the art, despite having had a rare Charizard card I would never leave out of my sight for the better part of my elementary years..
Lol my first pokemon card was a shiny charizard ^_^ talk about luck... tbh it was in hong kong so it was probably a fake LOL!

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Somehow, none. I've never touched a pokemon game. If one were interested in seeing what all the fuss was about, would you guys recommend starting with the original? Or have there been significant changes to make it a better game with the later ones?
What would be the "best" one to play if you've never played one before?

Neoseek

Mar 14, 2010
1st Gen Pokemon Red, have played every main series Pokemon games since and have enjoyed every one.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Pokemon Yellow, but I didn't have a gameboy so I played it on my N64 through pokemon stadium

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Diligent said:
Somehow, none. I've never touched a pokemon game. If one were interested in seeing what all the fuss was about, would you guys recommend starting with the original? Or have there been significant changes to make it a better game with the later ones?
Heartgold/Soul Silver
or
leaf Green/Fire red

phazonbiologist

Jun 29, 2010
I remember getting both Red and Blue for Christmas. Man, I took those games everywhere. I always played Red a lot more than Blue, though.

Shidira

May 2, 2010
I started with 1st generation and have played every iteration of the game except Rumble Blast, which I want to! I love the series, even though it does get redundant, I still enjoy them.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Honestly I didn't get properly into gaming til I was 17 so I started with Pokemon Diamond but since then I've gone back and played Blue and Yellow

RickyRich

Nov 8, 2011
I started out on the 2nd Generation. Gold version. I had been watching the show for much longer, but had no idea there were games out there for it. I got it for my 9th birthday and have since then played every single one, except the last generation. Cyndiquil is still, by far, the best and goddamn cutest starter Pokemon ever.

loudmadman

Nov 22, 2011
Pokemon Red was my first. Begged and nagged my parents for it before my Gran got it for me on my 8th birthday. Got every generation since and it provided the foundations to my love of RPGs

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Been around since Red and Blue, played every game since. I'd say without a moment's hesitation that Black and White are currently the best Pokemon games ever.

Fawful

Dec 7, 2010
I've been playing since 2nd gen. For some reason I just haven't stopped.

Diligent said:
I'd say Black and White are fine to start off with, they're a bit less fiddly and better designed than the older games in my opinion. But in all honesty it doesn't really matter which version you pick up because they're all pretty much the same.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
started with blue and played through gens 1-5 and i support them all. All I need to do now is buy the ones i don't own