Poll: Which should I get Or Xbox

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Looking at states and all. Now I want my fellow escapist views. Most of the games I want or across all systems. Shadows of Mordor being the biggest. I know it's on the 360 but I want the real one. After Xbox got it's teeth kicked in it's been more user friendly. Still it is the weaker system the PS4 has the better hardware. However PS has it's own problems like trying to shove in the touch pad. Seems it's giving a lot of people are having trouble just touching it by mistake. Also how is the back catalog. If it just has infamous I will be happy. Still I have had the 360 so my friends are are it and last time it was a pain getting patches and such for PS3. I don't know where the wind will blow however since PS has been the go to system so developer are likely to develop for it but the Xbox is coming back. So my fellow Escapist which one.

Side note. Done PC gaming and not fond of it. So buy a PC is not an option.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Well putting in that note is going to decrease the volume of posts. Anyhow I'll just post a list I put together a little while back. However note that with the PC not being a factor this list is missing all the games that are "console exclusive", as in they are on PC in addition to the console. Its pretty common knowledge, but the PS4 has more of those due to the indies problem Microsoft put themselves through.

And as I am inevitably going to be called out on it yes I am counting Vita/PS3 games with PS4 versions as exclusives. As long as the other platform is also PlayStation that its fair.

PS4

Driveclub
Infamous First Light
Infamous Second Son
Killzone Shadow Fall
Killzone: Shadow Fall - Intercept
King Oddball (phone)
Knack
Resogun
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
CounterSpy (phone)
Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition
Doki-Doki Universe
Entwined
Escape Plan
flOw
Flower
Guilty Gear Xrd
MLB 14: The Show
Pix the Cat
PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate
Samurai Warriors 4
Sound Shapes
The Last of Us Remastered
Natural Doctrine
Backgammon Blitz
Hohokum
Doki-Doki Universe
LittleBigPlanet 3
Super Mega Baseball

Xbox One

Crimson Dragon
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Fantasia: Music Evolved
Fighter Within
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Classic
Killer Instinct Classic 2
Kinect Sports Rivals
Powerstar Golf
Shape Up
Sunset Overdrive
Xbox Fitness
Zoo Tycoon
Boom Ball for Kinect
Kalimba
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Motorsport 5

(I edited what I had with anything I saw that released in December, by no means perfect but gives a good outline I think).

Both have large amounts of games in development for the next two years, but the Playstation has the better reputation when it comes to lasting a long time (don't mean in terms of hardware, but in terms of the period of time games will continue to come out for it).

Don't worry about hardware differences, its a non factor really. Multiplats will not be spoiled on the Xbox One like some people try to push the illusion of.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Personally...I'd wait for either.

Unless you have to play the multi-gen stuff NOW (like Shadows or Far Cry 4), there really isn't enough to justify (to me) the purchase of one of those consoles. Yes, you have stuff that will be exclusive coming out but that's always a gamble. Something like Gears of War or Uncharted are relatively safe bets but they're still bets.

If I had a gun to my head, I suppose I'd go with Sony because PS+ offers such a better deal over Xbox Live. I bought my 360 first this round and my PS3 second but Microsoft threw up so many red flags to me with their launch that I just don't know how well I can trust them while Sony (seems) to have learned from their past mistakes.

Right now, I'm sticking to the sidelines. I would like to play Inquisition or Shadows but I'm going to hold out until one of those two consoles convinces me that I should get it (or I give up and...*shudder...join PC gaming).

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
tippy2k2 said:
If I had a gun to my head, I suppose I'd go with Sony because PS+ offers such a better deal over Xbox Live. I bought my 360 first this round and my PS3 second but Microsoft threw up so many red flags to me with their launch that I just don't know how well I can trust them while Sony (seems) to have learned from their past mistakes.
Forgot to mention that. Yeah if you're going to pay for one of those services Plus > Gold.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Thank you both for your views. Guys I really do want to hear what a fellow gamer not a salesman has to say.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I don't get how people are having trouble hitting the touchpad by mistake. The touchpad will be like PS3's sixaxis, it isn't going to be used much. Look at which console is going to have more exclusives you like, now and down the road. Sony will likely have the edge just because they own more devs so chances are higher there will be more 1st party Sony games you'll like just due to volume alone. If you really don't care about either system's exclusives, I'd say Sony has the edge as it seems multiplatform games will be better on PS4 (unlike last gen) and PS+ is better than Live.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Phoenixmgs said:
I don't get how people are having trouble hitting the touchpad by mistake. The touchpad will be like PS3's sixaxis, it isn't going to be used much. Look at which console is going to have more exclusives you like, now and down the road. Sony will likely have the edge just because they own more devs so chances are higher there will be more 1st party Sony games you'll like just due to volume alone. If you really don't care about either system's exclusives, I'd say Sony has the edge as it seems multiplatform games will be better on PS4 (unlike last gen) and PS+ is better than Live.
The difference is I think the touchpad is "better" than Sixaxis... as in its more versatile and not as much of a hassle to use it correctly. The touch pad can register swipes as "buttons" in the four cardinal directions (I'd assume more is possible but I don't think a game has made use of 8 directions), the side buttons, and the centre button.

However as everyone can predict only the first party games, and third party exclusives (less likely but possible) are going to make use of that. Its a fancy and very large select button for everything else (though that in itself is an improvement as too many games seem to require you to press select these days).

Speaking of the touchpad I can already predict that the side buttons being pressed and held is what is going to allow Kat to Gravity Slide in Gravity Rush 2.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
I guess it dependson what kind of games you like and then look at the exclusives. They are pretty similar even though I think ps4 is better for me.

The touch pad is not a problem, never had any issues with it.
I also like the speaker in the ps4 controller. It adds a cool effect in games like Shadow of Mordor. (awesome game, worth getting a new console for)

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
If your friends are predominantly on one console over the other, go with that one.

Otherwise, look at controller, exclusives, Live vs PS+, cost and available bundles. There's not a great deal of difference between them, it almost entirely comes down to personal preference.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
I don't have either system, but my personal preference would be the PS4. However, that preference comes down to the variety of games that the Playstation has compared to the Xbox, a preference that's 100% subjective. The last five years have seen the entire Xbox brand turn into the military-shooter box, and it seems that nothing interesting makes it onto the console. Just scores and scores of boring shooters.

Mind you, I'm saying this as someone who owns an Xbox and a 360, but didn't buy a PS2 or PS3. I've grown increasingly disenchanted with the dearth of interesting games on the Xbox since 2009 and it's not showing any sign of improving on the Xbone.

Though I'd prefer a PS4, I sure as hell don't want to go with a dinky little Playstation controller. Touchpad aside, I have massive hands. Seriously massive. I can pick up a worn-down basketball with one hand and with no difficulty. My favorite controller of all time was the first Xbox controller, the beast that's often on lists of the worst controllers ever designed. It fit comfortably in my hands and my fingers hit the buttons in all the right places. Even the 360 controller is small enough that I push down on the controller with more force than most people, simply because my hands don't fit neatly around the controller. There's a lot of extra room. To put it another way, the widest part of the controller goes from my wrist to just below the knuckle of my middle finger.

Yeah... that analysis went on too long, sorry. ;)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
If you are looking for exclusives as of this moment. Neither.

If you are looking more at the multiplatform stuff, then you will have a better time with the PS4 due to more powerful hardware.

If you are looking for what is to come in terms of exclusives, well that is up to you. Personally I have always been more of an Xbox guy because I have always been a fan of Halo, but the PS4 is sure to have some great games coming too, like Uncharted 4. My advice is to look at the announced exclusives for each console and go with whatever you feel like will interest you more. That being said, If you currently own a 360, it might just be beneficial to go for a Xbox One seeing as you probably already have experience with the exclusives instead of diving straight into a series with 3 games in it already.

If you have any friends that you know you will likely end up playing with, it is generally a good idea to go for that platform too.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I am gonna say neither for now. Any games out now for both will later be impressively low in price (Just grab the rare games, for example Atlus titles, quick and hold onto them until you do get a system.) and the systems will likely have a price drop next year. That's also probably when both companies will at least imply what exclusives they have on their road maps for the next three years. Then you can make a more informed decision and pick up any titles you missed from the first couple years. At least many publishers are keeping the PS360 alive.

Also if you're still deciding which to go for, play some games with both controllers. If it wasn't for the d-pad, I'd say the xbone controller was a step down from the 360. It feels cheaper and slightly less comfortable to me. I haven't touched a PS4 pad, but it looks like might fit most players' hands better than the 20 year old design.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If you're worried about touching the touchpad by mistake and screwing up your game or whatever, don't be. The touchpad is only really used as either just a big select/inventory button, or during like the map screen for scrolling.

The only issue the controller has is that big bright light at the front end reflecting in the TV screen, but that's nothing some duct tape can't handle.

As for the games... You'll have to decide for yourself whether the extra bells and whistles of all the current multi-gen games are worth it. inFAMOUS: Second Son isn't that good though. It suffers heavily from launch game syndrome. There's not yet that one game that makes you go 'I need that system right fucking NOW!', so if that's what you're looking for you're better off waiting for like Bloodborne or something.

feauxx

Commandah
Sep 7, 2010
I had a ps4 for a year, barely played it. Bought and xbox one, turn it on to play it every day almost. Probably cause I strongly preferred the 360 over the ps3, it's familiarity, it's where my friends are. That stuff is way more important than resolution, graphic quality/hardware and what kind of buttons the controllers have etc.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
IceStar100 said:
Thank you both for your views. Guys I really do want to hear what a fellow gamer not a salesman has to say.
Multiplatform stuff looks better on PS4 as the hardware is somewhat better with the GDDR5 ram and I believe the APU is slightly faster.

That aside I went PS4 over XBO because of the history of both companies. PlayStation usually has the higher variety of games, you get games like The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Journey etc as well as your normal AAA CoD, Killzone and Battlefield's. Xbox is most just the latter. I have PS1/2/3/4, XB360, Wii and the handhelds and find the PlayStation consoles have a much larger library as it's got more of a selection over my 360. That's not to say there aren't any good games on the xbox but overall I'd say it's target audience is very much the online shooter vs the Playstation being for mature gamers.

Also the PS4 controller is the best I've ever used.

That said I have PC's as well so 99% of games on xbox are also on PC thus the PlayStation and Wii U are the only consoles that offer enough exclusives atm to be worth it (will get a Wii U next).

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Rozalia1 said:
The difference is I think the touchpad is "better" than Sixaxis... as in its more versatile and not as much of a hassle to use it correctly. The touch pad can register swipes as "buttons" in the four cardinal directions (I'd assume more is possible but I don't think a game has made use of 8 directions), the side buttons, and the centre button.
I've been playing Shadow Warrior and the touchpad has issues with 4 directions let alone 8 (that would be horrible) as quite often the character will do the wrong power/move. Yeah, it is better than the six-axis because the six-axis was almost completely useless.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I don't see much of a difference between between PS4 and Xbone exclusives. I'd get a PS4 because of my own history/familiarity with the Sony console line and because that would enable me to play exclusives like Infamous Second Son, Killzone Shadow Fall and The Last of Us Remastered, and eventually Disgaea 5, Silent Hills and Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, as well as - god willing - The Last Guardian. Whereas the only Xbone exclusive that interests me is Dead Rising 3, and even if I wanted to play it that badly I could do it on PC.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
IceStar100 said:
Looking at states and all. Now I want my fellow escapist views. Most of the games I want or across all systems. Shadows of Mordor being the biggest. I know it's on the 360 but I want the real one. After Xbox got it's teeth kicked in it's been more user friendly. Still it is the weaker system the PS4 has the better hardware. However PS has it's own problems like trying to shove in the touch pad. Seems it's giving a lot of people are having trouble just touching it by mistake. Also how is the back catalog. If it just has infamous I will be happy. Still I have had the 360 so my friends are are it and last time it was a pain getting patches and such for PS3. I don't know where the wind will blow however since PS has been the go to system so developer are likely to develop for it but the Xbox is coming back. So my fellow Escapist which one.

Side note. Done PC gaming and not fond of it. So buy a PC is not an option.
if you liked your 360 controller you want an xbox one. its that simple they have the better controller and no dam touch screen that's ham fisted into the exclusives so you have to use it....
Yes the Kinect is also ham fisted into some but at least that's not as awkward to use. Also the xbox one has fewer problems with multiplatform releases.(which are what everyone is playing as the good console exclusives are few and far between.)