Poll: Which should I get: Wii U or PS Vita?

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
So, because I'm young and still live with my parents, I recently came into some Christmas money. I've had my eye on a Wii U recently, but I've wanted a PS Vita for some time now, but I'm not entirely sure if I should even buy either and should just save my money. Which do you think I should buy? Which would be the better gaming investment?

Just adding some context here: I'm not into platformers, I like action-y games, I love RPGs, and I have no social life, so no friends to play with.

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
Ryallen said:
Just adding some context here: I'm not into platformers, I like action-y games, I love RPGs, and I have no social life, so no friends to play with.
There are some good action RPGs on WiiU but not all that many. Outside of Platinum Games like Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101, the only one that comes to mind is Zelda U and Xenoblade X which aren't out yet. Otherwise the WiiU is mostly first party Nintendo platformers.

PS Vita has more RPGs, but are arguably less likely to appeal to people outside of a specific niche. You've got stuff like Persona 4 Golden, Freedom Wars, Neptunia as well as some old Playstation One and PSP games on PSN like Final Fantasy and such.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Well, when's the last time you've heard any news from the Vita? I'm sure it's technically a fine system, but unless you're really into JRPGs there doesn't seem to be much reason to get one.

The Wii-U seems to have a bit more prospect for "bigger" games. But yeah, if you don't care for platformers I can see how the idea of buying a Wii-U would seem like a gamble. But then you gotta ask yourself what made you consider buying a Wii-U in the first place; you obviously knew it was going to have a lot of Mario/Kirby type platformers on it.

Personally, I'd say go for the Wii-U. It appears to have some more variety to it. I'm actually on the cusp of buying one myself.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Well, when's the last time you've heard any news from the Vita? I'm sure it's technically a fine system, but unless you're really into JRPGs there doesn't seem to be much reason to get one.

The Wii-U seems to have a bit more prospect for "bigger" games. But yeah, if you don't care for platformers I can see how the idea of buying a Wii-U would seem like a gamble. But then you gotta ask yourself what made you consider buying a Wii-U in the first place; you obviously knew it was going to have a lot of Mario/Kirby type platformers on it.

Personally, I'd say go for the Wii-U. It appears to have some more variety to it. I'm actually on the cusp of buying one myself.
The Vita have a huge library of great games even though they are not releasing any new western AAA games on it.

If you love Nintendo games get a Wii U. I don't see the point if you don't like plattformers. Not many games releasing for Wii U.

The Vita has action games like Uncharted, Killzone, Gravity rush.
It also depends on how you like to play. It's hard to compare a home console and a portable.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
For physical titles, WiiU seems like a better prospect, but only if you're into what they're putting out, downloadable it's not picking up as much as the Vita seems to be; and seemingly Sony didn't have to build the 'downloadable titles from previous consoles' service from the ground up again like Nintendo have done.

But luckily they're both good consoles; the Vita isn't backwards compatible with PSP games, while the WiiU does basically have a Wii inside it, if you're into that.

I personally chose the WiiU and I've only been happy with it, but PSN seems to be the service with the most choice, if you don't mind doing most of your business digital rather than physical.

Also, hope you like JRPGs, because you're unlikely to come across western RPGs on either.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I think it would be smart to not look only at the new releases, but also at the backward compatibility/digital stores of the systems. Because if you want the best investment, you pick the system that covers the most bases.

Let's say you never had a Wii or a Super Nintendo, and go with the Wii U. Well, good news! You can now play The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG and more. There's even some GBA games available on the Wii U, like Fire Emblem and Golden Sun.

The Vita, on the other hand, has access to a big portion of the PSP library and there's some good stuff in there for RPGfans. There are PSone games available for it as well. A good chunk of the golden age of JRPGs can be played on this lovely little system.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
NPC009 said:
I think it would be smart to not look only at the new releases, but also at the backward compatibility/digital stores of the systems. Because if you want the best investment, you pick the system that covers the most bases.

Let's say you never had a Wii or a Super Nintendo, and go with the Wii U. Well, good news! You can now play The Last Story, Xenoblade Chronicles, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG and more. There's even some GBA games available on the Wii U, like Fire Emblem and Golden Sun.

The Vita, on the other hand, has access to a big portion of the PSP library and there's some good stuff in there for RPGfans. There are PSone games available for it as well. A good chunk of the golden age of JRPGs can be played on this lovely little system.
It's a shame that the Vita is only digitally backwards compatible, rather than physical; mainly because PSP games aren't expensive to pick up; but they trump Nintendo in available back catalogue.

I would hope that Nintendo do eventually pick up on this, despite both of their current consoles being physically backwards compatible. Quite why GBA games are only available on the WiiU...I don't know.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't have a Vita but I do have a WiiU so my answer is obvious :p
Good games that you can get to the U based on "action-y" and RPG, notice that there are Wii games in this list too since the system has that backwards thing going on.

Games:
Xenoblade, The Last Story, Loads of Zelda and Mario titles, Tales of Symphonia, Trine2, Wonderful101, Bayonetta, MarioKart, SmashBros, ZombiU, Darksiders II, Deus Ex, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime... I'm not currently at home, but if you want a more detailed list of what I got then why don't you throw in a personal message for me and I'll answer it after new years.

But as I said, I have never played a Vita or have no friends with a Vita so I am biased in this. Listen mainly to the people who have experience with both. I'll still answer the poll and I am very happy with my WiiU, if that counts for something.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Wii U seems the obvious choice. The vita is mostly dead now no more AAA games are being developed for it. If you really like indie games or have a ps4 then it might be worth it, if you find one going cheap. I for one wouldn't pay full price for such a limited system.

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
It's a shame that the Vita is only digitally backwards compatible, rather than physical; mainly because PSP games aren't expensive to pick up; but they trump Nintendo in available back catalogue.
Fortunately the PSP games on PSN are slowly dropping in price. $10-15 is normal nowadays and there are sales. (Publisher sales, mostly. Sony doesn't seem to care about giving these games any frontpage attention. Then again, Nintendo isn't much better when it comes to discounting retro stuff. Well, aside from that one time they had that 30 years anniversary thing. Super Metroid for 30 cents? Glorious.)

Wii U seams the obvious choice. The vita is mostly dead now no more AAA games are being developed for it. If you really like indie games or have a ps4 then it might be worth it, if you find one going cheap. I for one wouldn't pay full price for such a limited system.
Good thing the Vita is fairly cheap nowadays. Well, in Europe atleast. [Checks Amazon] Okay, the Vita deals in North America kinda really suck. Where are all the good bundles? No wonder Americans don't have much praise for the system D: (Okay, I admit, European praise is limited as well, but atleast we have a bunch of interesting bundles to choose from if we do want a Vita.)

Anyway, I wouldn't say the Vita is dead. As long as you are in the habit of playing JRPGs (Ys: Memories of Celceta is super fun game, highly recommended), don't mind a MonHun-style game once in a while (Soul Sacrifice Delta is a good choice if you don't care much for multiplayer) and like browsing the store for interesting looking indie titles, the Vita is plenty of fun.

(Plus, it's a really lovely piece of hardware. The OLED screen you find on the original model is amazing. It's kinda like being a giant and holding a fancy tv right up to your face.)

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
That's a tough choice you got there. I only just got a Wii U so my experience with Vita is limited, but I'll put in my two cents.

The Vita is getting almost no attention in the west, so it's basically become an RPG machine (as in the games that stand out in quality are RPGs). There are older titles and maybe rare new ones that aren't RPGs, but you need to keep an eye out for them.

Another thing that rubs many looking at the Vita the wrong way is the memory card prices are still outrageous. They are about $2.50 a GB (and the 8GB is over $3 per GB) even on Amazon. Brick and Mortar stores gouge you for even more. If you only plan to play games off physical media, this won't be a problem. Just take that into account when looking for Vita and see if there are bundles with a decent sized card.

The Wii U is in a different situation. You can find a variety of games already out or coming soon for it. The problem is that most quality titles will be first party (or at least funded by Nintendo), so Wii U owners are at the mercy of Big N's execs on what they greenlight to be released (Still rooting for a Retro developed Metroid, here.), and the few third party publishers that see the Wii U as more than the slight diversion they need to trash talk to get people to buy their Xbox/PS4 exclusives.

Also, don't get the 8 GB model, unless you really, really, really don't ever plan on getting any DLC or downloaded Wii U games. Nintendo dropped the ball hard with both models' memory sizes, but at least 32 GB should be enough for lots of DLC and 1 or 2 games. IMHO, though, you shouldn't buy full copies of games online from any of the console markets, unless you can not find it anywhere physically.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Really I see no reason to get a WiiU unless you love the shit out of Mario, and I really doubt you do seeing as you specifically said you don't like platformers. If you want single player and RPGs get the Vita, if you want mario/zelda and party games get the WiiU, so in OPs case I would recommend Vita.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I am evangelist for the vita and I love it. But I'll acknowledge that alot of the vita titles are fairly niche so yeah get a wiiu.

NPC009

Aug 23, 2010
Also, don't get the 8 GB model, unless you really, really, really don't ever plan on getting any DLC or downloaded Wii U games. Nintendo dropped the ball hard with both models' memory sizes, but at least 32 GB should be enough for lots of DLC and 1 or 2 games. IMHO, though, you shouldn't buy full copies of games online from any of the console markets, unless you can not find it anywhere physically.
Upgrading the Wii U's memory is actually really easy and super cheap. Just plug an old external HHD up a rear USB port. BAM. 250 or whatever extra gigs. Biggest downside is that because it works best with drives that have their own powersource, it'll look like your Wii U is giving birth to an army of cables and boxes.

Still, not a bad look if you want to for some sort of eclectic cyberpunk look.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Neither. If you don't own a console now, go for a PS3 instead. They are getting cheaper and have a great software library, plus if you get a PS+ subscription you get "free" games each month -- and if you pick up the PS4 and Vita games when they're free, they'll be waiting for you if you get one of those consoles.

If you already own a console you do your gaming on AND it is a PS3 or PS4, get a Vita.

If not, a Nintendo 3DS is probably a better choice for a handheld.

Don't get a WiiU unless you only care about Nintendo franchises since there is NO third party support for it so you're stuck with the Marios, Zeldas, and the occasional exclusive gem like Smash (if you care about fighting games) and Bayonetta 2 (but you can get Devil May Cry or God of War on the Playstations for a similar game).

And to be clear, I own and like my Vita, but I wouldn't want it as my only gaming system. There are only a very few exclusives for it and I wouldn't recommend the system for it, even if the many indie games coming out on it (Shovel Knight next year!) are a joy to play, as well as the cross-save with PS3 and/or PS4 in some titles.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Wii U; it just has more games for it right now and upcoming. The Vita has kinda just been thrown to the wayside because Sony just doesn't know what to do with it.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
major_chaos said:
Really I see no reason to get a WiiU unless you love the shit out of Mario, and I really doubt you do seeing as you specifically said you don't like platformers. If you want single player and RPGs get the Vita, if you want mario/zelda and party games get the WiiU, so in OPs case I would recommend Vita.
He sees no reason, huh? None at all? He also saw no reason people would appreciate the MK8 DLC's value over the industry norm:
And don't forget, its Nintendo DLC, so expect store navigation to be pain, the download to take roughly 30x longer than it should, and to have to rebuy it if you replace your WiiU or play at a friends house. Because Nintendo is still going "daqfaqu is this inter-nets thingy? meh, I'm sure it'll never catch on, lets just half-ass it.

And because I haven't already painted enough of a giant target on my head, I'll ask what makes 8+ nearly identical mario cart games so OK that people want to buy the map packs just to show gratitude, but yearly CoD is "OMG LITERALY WORSE THAN HITLER!1!!1". Or for that matter why is 3+ plus maps for 15$ almost always reviled, but Nintendo farts out 8 zero effort race tracks and its the salvation of the industry? Just more examples of how amazingly selective gamer outrage is.
And then defended this for several posts.

Also has this to say about Splatoon.
Well I guess it falls to me to be the one stuffy guy, because that looked like chaotic floaty garbage to me. Definitely not interested in this at all, even at a steep discount."

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I love the Vita, but the Wii U is just killing it with great exclussives, hi def and a tablet you can play on while your folks watch other TV channels.

PS vita is, for my money, something portable to have around when you are not at home. I tried playing remote to pS4 while the missus watches football but the screen is just too small.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Ryallen said:
I think that isn't enough context, as the future of PS Vita is more uncertain than the Wii U's. PS Vita has much more games (with AAA graphic quality), but there are very few games planned for the future (even less than for the Wii U). On the other hand, if you worry that your parents may complain about what you play, Bayonetta (one of the best actiony games the Wii U has) can become a topic for arguments (just check the LP videos and see for yourself). PS Vita is portable and thus easier to play on private.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Why the comparison? The Wii U is a home console (with a touchscreen controller), the Vita is a handheld device.

A more adequate comparison would be 3DS vs. Vita.

Anyway, if you flat-out don't like platformers then stay the hell away from Nintendo, because that's their bread and butter. For RPGs they have Xenoblade Chronicles X, and the Skylanders and Monster Hunter games. Also a couple of Dragon's Quests though I think those are MMORPGs.

On the other hand Sony has very good third-party support in Japan and gets tons of RPGs: Atelier (something like 5 games of those), Bastion, Demon Gaze, Disgaea 3 & 4, Dragon's Crown, Freedom Wars, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Muramasa Rebirth, Persona 4 Golden, Tales of Hearts, Tales of Innocence, etc.

As for "action-y" games, I think each console has a fair share of those. You might as well just google "Wii U games" and "PS Vita games" and compare. Personally I've never really associated Nintendo with action.