Poll: Which Total War game would you recommend?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I have this sudden itch to play a Total War game. Never have before, but I've watched a lot of gameplay footage and they look pretty sweet.

"Well, go buy Rome 2. It's the newest game in the series and it's just come out!"

Yeah... I know. I'm also aware of the many, many, many complaints about it. Some of those may well be making a mountain out of a molehill, and some of them are no doubt just the usual "ruined forever" brigade that accompanies any long running series (personally I think the stylized unit portraits look pretty sweet). However, there's simply too many to completely ignore.

Besides, I'm not entirely confident that my poor computer could run Rome 2 and I'm downright certain it would take a lot of tedious fiddling with the settings.

So, with that in mind, which of the other titles would you recommend? I'm kind of leaning toward Empire or Napoleon, is either of those considered strictly better than the other? Not really interested in Shogun (apparently the battles resolve really fast and it has a rock-paper-scissors approach to unit types). Medieval 2 seems thematically dull, but I'll take it if it's mechanically superior. Don't know much about the rest.

So...?

Joffas16

Jun 6, 2013
If you're just starting the series, I recommend that you play the original Rome: Total War. It's probably the best game to familiarise you with the series, has aged incredibly well and has some great mods that make it even better. Or if that one isn't you're thing, Medieval II: Kingdoms is probably the best mechanically and has some awesome mods.

Or, if you're really interested in the Empire or Napoleon style gameplay I would say that you should get Napoleon, it's very similar to Empire but much more focused, refined and generally all-around slightly better.

Also, no matter what you get you might want to get a couple of mods to tighten up the gameplay a bit because I've always found that without mods the Total War games can be a bit crap AI-wise. Some are worse with this than others though so you should probably do some research into this before you start whatever game you choose.

Have fun! With whatever you choose!

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
If you intend to get Rome 2 in future then Rome 1 is probably a good starting point. A great variety of factions to play as without some of the complications/bugs that came about in later games.

That said, I say that because it is also the only TW game I've played in full. I've played the demo of Medieval 1 and that was pretty fun. I also know people who swear by Shogun, which I haven't played at all.

The best thing to do would be to wait for one game or all the games to go on sale on Steam, which they do with surprising frequency - Rome was going for a pound a couple of months back - and then choose. Unless you can find a copy for a similar price.

Incidentally, you did miss Medieval 2, which is available cheap these days (I saw a copy going for £2 recently), and seems fairly popular.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I would say all of them, go for a marathon from the start to finish, but i hear the first two do not work on modern hardware.

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
I would say wait until a creative assembly steam sale and then get the lot, I started on rome 1 and worked my way up through medieval 2 and then empire and napoleon. Shogun I've clocked the most hours on but only because I've had to wait for the next game.

My personal favourite is Empire / Napoleon because I love that period of history plus I love playing as Great Britain, empire is better for the expanse of the game wheras napoleon has a more detailed europe and better ai, game mechanics, agents and generals and overall napoleon seems more streamlined.

Though if you want streamlined then go for shogun, its epically easy to get into, really shiny, and it has probably the best multiplayer system i've seen in years (the avatar system).

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Joffas16 said:
Also, no matter what you get you might want to get a couple of mods to tighten up the gameplay a bit because I've always found that without mods the Total War games can be a bit crap AI-wise. Some are worse with this than others though so you should probably do some research into this before you start whatever game you choose.
I'm not overly fussed by dodgy AI so long as:
a) It's not game-breakingly bad.
b) It's the enemy being derpy and not my own troops spazzing out.

tomtom94 said:
Incidentally, you did miss Medieval 2, which is available cheap these days (I saw a copy going for £2 recently), and seems fairly popular.
I actually meant Medieval 2, since that's the one available on Steam.

I've edited the OP to correct this. Thanks.

Strazdas said:
I would say all of them, go for a marathon from the start to finish...
Lord Kloo said:
I would say wait until a creative assembly steam sale and then get the lot...
Nah, I wouldn't have the time or patience for that.

Heck, I'll probably only get halfway through whichever one game I choose before considering my itch thoroughly scratched and losing interest.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My first was Rome Total War and I never really noticed to many bugs, same for Medieval 2. They are the best of the series and console commands still exist so you can instabuild and have unlimited funds. Either one of those two are a good jumping in point.

Skip out on the Rome: Barbarian Invasion expansion, it added the most op game mechanic I have ever seen. If you attack and "destroy" a barbarian nation, they just go nope and go into nomad mode, get a crapton of op units, and pretty much get a second wind. I have never beaten Barbarian Invasion because of that stupid idea.

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Shogun 2 is lots of fun.
The online is excellent as well, exponentially better if you have a couple of friends to play with.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
The original Rome is, in my opinion, vastly superior to the others. My love of the time period aside, the battle mechanics (which you could say are the most important, as it's what sets Total War away from any RTS) are really good in it. In Rome 1, the battle mechanics are smooth, fluid and very responsive. Sieges can be clunky, but that's something that has never been fully improved, much like the AI.

So yeah, I'd say Rome 1 is the best, and also a great starting point for someone new. The battle mechanics are just so friendly when compared to, say, Medieval II (I'd highly recommend avoiding that one).

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zhukov said:
Strazdas said:
Lord Kloo said:

Heck, I'll probably only get halfway through whichever one game I choose before considering my itch thoroughly scratched and losing interest.
Maybe its not worth starting then?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Strazdas said:
Zhukov said:
Strazdas said:
Lord Kloo said:

Maybe its not worth starting then?
What, because I don't want to play 5 long arse games, not to mention expansions, back-to-back?

Sadly, I do have to turn up to work from time to time, not to mention eat and sleep.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Empire Total war with the Darthmodification is perhaps the best Total war game ever played. Unlike all the other series Empire has a far greater interface of diplomacy, Trade through colonies ect so it makes it far more interesting.

Also there are a massive clash of culutres between Muslim, Pirates, American Indians, Hindu's, Catholic and Christian and cause battles are wage inter-continental the mix of wars are always entertaining.

I also find the type of Goverments , Traits and the fact you can change your ministers ect if your playing a consitutional Monarchy is far superior than Medival II/Rome where its just KING JO BLO Leader.

Napoleon I woudnt recommend either, the firing rate of units is almost like ww1 machine guns and not as interesting, half of the interesting factions that made the Napoleonic wars so interesting were left out unplayable.

So in Order of Best to Worst I would say Rome II/Empire, Medival II, Rome 1, Medival 1, Shogun 2, Shogun 1

Niflhel

Sep 25, 2010
I would wait a bit and see how Rome II turns out. According to CA the first patch should come out tomorrow, and they're aiming for weekly patches after that.
Total War games have always been quite buggy on release, Rome II ain't special in that regard.

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
I love love love Shogun 2. Tactics are the key to the game, nobody has a super powerful unit that you can spam, you don't need to remember 100s of variances between units. Love it. The campaign map is also easy to digest and feels very aesthetically authentic. Shogun 2 is just fantastic to play.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
I have this sudden itch to play a Total War game. Never have before, but I've watched a lot of gameplay footage and they look pretty sweet.

"Well, go buy Rome 2. It's the newest game in the series and it's just come out!"

Yeah... I know. I'm also aware of the many, many, many complaints about it. Some of those may well be making a mountain out of a molehill, and some of them are no doubt just the usual "ruined forever" brigade that accompanies any long running series (personally I think the stylized unit portraits look pretty sweet). However, there's simply too many to completely ignore.

Besides, I'm not entirely confident that my poor computer could run Rome 2 and I'm downright certain it would take a lot of tedious fiddling with the settings.

So, with that in mind, which of the other titles would you recommend? I'm kind of leaning toward Empire or Napoleon, is either of those considered strictly better than the other? Not really interested in Shogun (apparently the battles resolve really fast and it has a rock-paper-scissors approach to unit types). Medieval 2 seems thematically dull, but I'll take it if it's mechanically superior. Don't know much about the rest.

So...?
It's going to largely depend on your preference for setting, but Medieval 2 and the original Rome were the high watermark for the series, which has been in steady decline since. If you have a DEEP fondness for the Empire/Napoleon era you could look at one of those two, but the Total War engine/formula has never handled firearms well. I would *strongly* recommend sticking to more ancient warfare.

Both Rome and Medieval 2 shine best with mods, and you can pretty them up a bit too. Medieval 2, IMO, has the richest and most expansive setting, and has the best potential for rich AAR/CK2 style storytelling.

Shogun 2 dropped the unit variety hugely, and introduced the rock paper scissors game play you reference in your OP. It's the most streamlined/slick/accessible game, and also the most soulless.

My recommendation would be Medieval 2 with its expansion and the most recent incarnation of the Stainless Steel mod, which is basically the core game greatly improved. Just be aware that a M2 long campaign can take MONTHS to play through if you don't auto resolve your battles.

If you're TOTALLY put off the Medieval time period, look at Rome and see how much you can mod up the graphics.

Evade Rome 2 for now, it's buggy as hell and will likely need many mods and patches to reach its potential.

Evade Empire and Napoleon unless you have a FIERCE interest in the setting. Although I hear Empire can shine with heavy modding.

Evade Shogun 2 because it stinks.

EDIT - Unless you want to get Rome 2 so we can fight online battles.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Start from the top and work your way down :p

Rome 1 is amazing. It's huge, satisfying and on top spec it still looks awesome.

Medieval 2 is not as good as Rome, but it's bigger and the campaign map mechanics are more in depth. More to get your teeth into.

Empire. I think I'm one of the few that really liked it a lot. I love the naval battles and cannons for one thing and I really liked the different way the campaign map works. It makes sense considering that c.1700 the world wasn't made up of lots of tiny provinces.

Napoleon. Not played it. I'm told it's better than Empire, and considering I liked that, I'm 100% sure I'll enjoy Napoleon when I get round to it.

Shogun 2. The setting never interested me and I'm told that there's no unit variation between factions and the combat style is very fixed.

Rome 2. Dunno. It's still downloading...

CAPTCHA: Oh Yes

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
medieval 2 was my favourite by far, a close second being rome 1. personally i just preferred the feel of medieval 2, plus its got a pretty hefty mod selection if you're into that