Poll: Who do YOU think has the most elite military unit in the world?

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Jacco said:
I was just watching a documentary on the Discovery Channel about the US Navy SEAL team 6. Those were the guys that took out Bin Laden.

Anyway, I knew the SEALs were elite, but the documentary showed clearly that they are (especially team 6) are the badasses TO THE badasses. I've long held that either Delta Force or the SEALs are the kings followed by the other and then by units like the SAS and GSG9 but that Documentary was pretty clear on who wins in the US military.

I understand that everyone wants to have the best so who do you think is the king military unit of badasses and why?

I going to put up a poll listing all of the SpecOps units I can think of so please don't be offended if yous in not on it.
Why isn't the special boat service up, The royal navy's special forces, instead of the royal marines?

And why not the Australian special forces?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Each and every one of those teams is likely the best at what they do, but what they do is actually quiet different. Special forces and commando units are inherently specialized. The whole point is that you train some of your best soldiers at few dangerous and high value mission types. The US Navy SEALs might be better at naval insertion than say German GSG 9, but that's only to the extent that they train for it more.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Either the British SBS, seriously... These guys get NOTHING wrong... They are perfect in every military duty they have to do...

Some German special forces are very good too.

But I think the Japanese ground self-defense army has everything a special force needs, expanded into an army. Those guys are seriously good. But because of Japan's article 9 in their constitution, they can't use ANY of their military for anything but self defense.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Shock and Awe said:
enzilewulf said:
USMC. First one the ground and im just going to say as evidence of their badassness, Battle for Guadalcanal. They kicked ass when out numbered 10 to 1. Then again I don't know much about other foreign forces such as the SAS. I think I will have to do some research.
Okay, Im American, I respect the hell out of the Corps(they're arrogant as shit but they back it up most of the time) but thats just wrong for two reasons.

1. USMC is not a Special Operations unit, they are a military branch in nearly all but name.

2. If we meant man by man they would still get the crap kicked out of them by any Special Operations unit mentioned so far.
What about Force Recon though? Aren't they the, "Secret Squirrel," branch of the Marines? To my knowledge, they are a special purpose force as well; receiving more advanced training than the average Marine.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Me, of course. The clone army I'm developing underground is almost ready to invade the entire world.
You will bow to my will.

DaysBefore

Dec 7, 2010
Either the North Korean Special Operations Force or the plethora of Israeli Special Forces. The former is recruited from orphanages and indoctrinated on a level Hitler could never imagine. The latter lives in a state of constant warfare with the knowledge that there are many larger nations around them that would love nothing more then to wipe them from the face of the planet.

In terms of equipment the Israelis have a huge lead over the North Koreans, but the fanaticism of the North Koreans is a weapon all of it's own. The SOF would rather volunteer to be executed by their commanding offices then to return after a failed mission. And they have numbers. The SOF is 200,000 strong. They can land several thousand troops behind South Korean lines in hours. And they know every millimeter of their territory and they regularly infiltrate into South Korea just to test themselves.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Tie up between the SAS and Spetsnaz. Cold war era Spetsnaz are more badass, but currently I'd say the SAS is the best.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
I don't have any real reasoning, but if you don't vote for the home-team, you should just find a new home.

darkless

Jan 26, 2008
Buchholz101 said:
I don't have any real reasoning, but if you don't vote for the home-team, you should just find a new home.
or maybe your judgement is fair and balancd in so far as you can judge these things and not just "Yahoo, my team is the best 'cause I'm from here!"

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Other.
Unless you wind up in one of the most elite units in the world, you'll never know it exists. The Spetsnaz used to be an exception, until the public became aware of their existence.
The only ones I'm aware of in US Military circles aren't really known by one particular name. "Secret Squirrels" is the mocking name I heard, but I did know a few men who joined them... who were removed from ordinary US Military networks shortly thereafter. Not sure if any of 'em kept their names, lived, or what... but I do know that Delta Force guys and SEALs are at least still the same person to society any time they're not on duty. "Secret Squirrels", as I know them, don't. I've only ever seen the aftermath of what they do, and I've known people who became part of them... but I know that they make the rest of our special forces look like parade-ground garrison soldiers.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
The XNDA.

They're so secret and elite, no one knows about them.

In fact, I just made them up.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
th3xile said:
American here saying British SAS. SEAL's are close but it's pretty commonly accepted that the Brits got us beat in "best special forces." Also, you could have added the IDF special forces. Those Israeli's grow up in a battleground and know how to take care of business. You also left out most of the American SOCOM, while it is pretty well known that the SEALS are the best we have, there's USAF CCT's, USAF Paramedics, and USMC MARSOC.

EDIT: It's mostly known that Russian Spetzsnaz is on par with our Army Rangers, who are blown out of the water by the SEALS. Unless you're using some really weird credentials for what makes one of them the best, in terms of effectiveness, the only competition is between the SEALS and SAS.
No matter what, I wouldn't want to tango with any of these guys. If you're in any special forces unit, you pretty much eat glass.

I still can't help but think of how three US Navy Seals sniped 3 targets in a boat, from a couple miles away, on choppy waters virtually simultaneously. That's pretty insane.

So, I'm sticking with all of these units being superb.

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Jacco said:
The Cap said:
Im going to vote for the SAS as they practically wrote the rulebook on special forces operations. although they are getting matched more and more by Delta as the US has a great deal more funding to aid in operations.

also in terms of American forces technically the SEALs cant be better than Delta because because the SEALs are a Tier 2 force as oppsoed to Dela which is Tier 1. (im also quite sure that the Rangers are Tier 2 as well but dont hold me to that)

The Cap
The SEAL's are Tier 1.
Nope. DEVGRU is Tier 1, SEALS are Tier 2. The only Tier 1 assets the US has is DELTA and DEVGRU.

Tier 2 includes SEALS and Army Rangers. That's why I get irritated about all of the SEALs misinformation that gets thrown around. SEALs didn't snipe the pirates, DEVGRU did. SEALs didn't take out bin Laden, DEVGRU did.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
They've all got different strengths and weaknesses, but I think when it comes down to it, if I needed to be rescued it'd be the SAS I'd want.