Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

PaintDrinker

May 30, 2010
ankensam said:
i didnt like the character models or the karma system especially since i was losing karma for stealing the shopkeepers stuff and no one could see me
Karma ins't what other people think of you, it's like a sort of moral compass. e.g. If you donate anonymously to a hospital, nobody knows you did it, but you still did a good deed and therefore have more "good" in you.

OT: I'm torn Between Bethesda and bioware, it's like having to pick a favourite child.

Baurus or Garrus?
The Realm of Oblivion or The Impending threat of the reapers?
New Vegas or Omega?
Mr. House or the Illusive Man?
Normandy or Nightmare?
Commander Shepherd or The Vault Dweller?
Incinerate or Flare?

Both are brilliant in their own way, Bethesda's vast open worlds, Bioware's brilliant plots and characters, but whatever I eventually decide upon, I know it's not Square Enix.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
PaintDrinker said:
New Vegas or Omega?
Mr. House or the Illusive Man?
Bethesda did not make New Vegas, Obsidian did.

Commander Shepherd or The Vault Dweller?
Bethesda also didn't make Fallout 1, Interplay/Black Isle did and they would eventually become Obsidian.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Bethesda.

Bioware games may be bulging at the seams with lore and dialog, but it's forced and soulless. It's delivered in huge dumps without style or presentation. There is endless lore and dialog that doesn't really connect to the larger story, and none of it is interesting or exciting. It just doesn't draw me in. It's like the writers understand what 'lore' is but have never read a book before. It's sooo boring. I'm not saying lots of dialog is boring. I am saying Bioware dialog and lore is boring. I can pick up an in-game book in Oblivion and I can't put it down. None of the lore in Mass Effect or Dragon Age ever holds my interest, even in side quests and such. As far as I'm concerned, even something like The Real Barenziah is way more interesting than most of the lore dumps in Bioware games.

The story choices are also haphazardly designed. How engaging can the story be when you're pretty much just choosing what happens from a list? Either that or just trying to fill your 'Paragon' bar? I wish Dragon Age: Origins had a linear story that just stuck to the best of the choices. It would have been way more entertaining than "Press A for the bad guy to die". I just think they need to strike some sort of balance so the choices don't undermine the story. Choosing the over-arching story is bad. Choosing how your character engages the story is good.

Bioware games for me have no replayability whatsoever. For all they talk about choice, you actually play exactly the same way every time, no matter what you choose. In Oblivion, my choices really impact how my character will perform and play. I could just about replay Elder Scrolls games forever. I love the freedom of the open world. I love that sense of grandeur and exploration and unpredictability that walking down a corridor just can't match. I also love how Bethesda lets me use my imagination every now and then rather than cramming even more boring words where they don't really enhance the experience. And I love how Bethesda can create an interesting world with a sense of scale and depth in a way that Bioware apparently just can't.

Finally, Oblivion has the best modding community and tools ever. Yes, Bethesda deserves credit for this. It's not like it's something they just lucked into. The open world format and sophisticated, varied game mechanics are rife for mods. This was painstakingly built into the game and official modding tools and totally changes the user experience.

P.S.- While I admit it would be an error to vote for Bethesda solely based on the future potential of Skyrim, it only makes sense to include what you know about their approach to upcoming titles in your opinion of them as a developer. Plus, it looks sick :).

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I think Bioware is better with stories and writing, while Bethesda is better at making games fun to play.

Not to say Bioware games aren't fun, but I prefer the particular brand of general-jackassery kinda fun that Behtesda games provide more of.

Guess I'll go with Bethesda.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
i gotta say bioware.why? you may ask its because i hate absolutely HATE fallout 3. were as i like every bioware game ive played:) (funny enough i love elder scrolls and cant wait for skyrim:)

alinos

Nov 18, 2009
People are forgetting that some of the games they have been talking about weren't made by any of the 3 just published(Like Drakengard)

The Other Problem is that not one of them is comparable.

Bioware make More closed off story based RPG's that are starting to become TPS with dialog trees. starting to go after the Mass Market Effect of simplifing for large market appeal

Bethesda makes Open World RPG's with an onus on do what you want type gameplay, with lots of robotic emotion people

Square tends to have the most numbery RPG's out there with a Japanese flair.

Each one has a completely different focus and as such appeals to a different crowd.

it would be a fair comparison if any of them had games which could be compared at an elemental level, but they don't. So personal gameplay tastes are going to come into it long before theirs any developer based reasoning

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
While these are my least favorie RPG dvelopers, Bethesda made original Fallout and I have spent hours with oblivon even though I couldnt shout my mind up on how better could it be.

EDIT: Ok stop correcting me, now I have no reason to like bethesda at all. I really dunno why I thought they made it because I though that even before Fallout 3. And no surprise that I like original fallout even if I didn't really play it if Black Isle made it.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I gotta go with Square Enix here.

I've played a few Bethesda games, and they were okay, but I can't wait for Skyrim to come out though.

And I'm not much of a Bioware fan, blasphemy I'm sure, and as much love I've heard about DA: Origins, I got it as a gift, I can't seem to be bothered to wipe the dust off of it and play it.

I don't understand the amount of hate towards SE though, other than personal taste, but I will say the amount of hate towards that company is a bit ridiculous.

Crankafoo

Mar 28, 2010
As good as Bio and Square's game may have been considered. I've enjoyed Bethesda's RPG's much, MUCH more. Not only have I put more hours into them and felt the need to search every spot in their games, but thoroughly enjoyed it, too.

Also, Square Enix was better when they were Squaresoft

Phoenix_XIII

May 15, 2011
Square Enix because I highly enjoy JRPG's.

To pad out my statement so I don't get a warning,

Square Enix creates great games and fans of those games who are highly devoted are the only ones who can seem to enjoy the newest games from them because everyone else is demanding more and more. Stop demanding KH3, stop demanding they create a combat system similar to western games, and start demanding a remake of 7.

Statement finished.

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
This is easy for me, I love BioWare games so it's Bio for me on this. Yea.... I kinda want to work for them so this question is easy for me. XD

Linsenman

Jul 2, 2011
The problem here is are we talking JRPG's or RPG's. Two completely different types of games. Anyways, with Square Enix basically out, I would say Bethesda. No other company has brought me as much joying playing their games (except Square Enix but again, those are JRPG). Fallout 3/New Vegas and Oblivion. And now Skyrim which looks to be as good if not better than Oblivion.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Easily SquareEnix for me as a Final Fantasy fangirl. I do enjoy the DragonAge series but it's been the only Bioware RPG that's actually hooked me, Mass Effect didn't do that. Nearly all Squeenix games have.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Hmm, Bethesda allow you to play as the character you want to be, Bioware let you decide the fate of fixed characters and how they behave. Enix's games, there's just something that turns me off about them (which is not good news for me as a Hitman fan >.<). I'd say a toss up between the first two. Comes down to personal choice really, and mine are saying Bethesda.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Rooster Cogburn said:
Bioware games for me have no replayability whatsoever. For all they talk about choice, you actually play exactly the same way every time, no matter what you choose. In Oblivion, my choices really impact how my character will perform and play. I could just about replay Elder Scrolls games forever. I love the freedom of the open world.
Please point out the choice in Oblivion's main quest, because I didn't see it. Also pease show me the choice in the main guilds in Oblivion too.

P.S.- While I admit it would be an error to vote for Bethesda solely based on the future potential of Skyrim, it only makes sense to include what you know about their approach to upcoming titles in your opinion of them as a developer. Plus, it looks sick :).
No, Skyrim has not been released and therefore should not be taken into consideration.

Vhite said:
While these are my least favorie RPG dvelopers, Bethesda made original Fallout and I have spent hours with oblivon even though I couldnt shout my mind up on how better could it be.
No, Black Isle/Interplay made the original Fallout and Fallout 2, and Black Isle eventually became Obsidian.

Linsenman said:
Fallout 3/New Vegas and Oblivion.
Bethesda did not make New Vegas, Obsidian did (if only I had a dollar every time someone said that)

And now Skyrim which looks to be as good if not better than Oblivion.
You should never use an unreleased game as an example.

Best of the 3 said:
Hmm, Bethesda allow you to play as the character you want to be,
Last time I checked in Fallout 3 you were forced to be the Lone Wanderer who was born to Catherine and James, born in the Jefferson Memorial, grew up and became friends with Amata, was bullied by Butch and basically has had his childhood shoved in your face telling you that this is the character you will be playing as.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Get on whatever system it is that you use, put in any Bioware game besides KotoR and say you're roleplaying with a straight face, go ahead I dare you (I haven't played Baldurs gate so I don't know or neverwinter nights please don't flame me I couldn't help it.) Try and do the same with any Square Enix or Squaresoft title. Now put in Morrowind, Daggerfall or Oblivion and try and tell me you have no options and that it's boringly linear, if you do you're lying, it's not an opinion, the only thing holding you back from your roleplaying experience is your lack of creativity, I have a level forty stealthy arrows slinging illusionist who recently turned evil and began working for the Dark Brotherhood, and a level three mage who suffers from stunted magicka so is forced to risk life and limb hunting down welkynd stones to fuel his magicka so that he can achieve his goal of partnership in the mages guild, his name is Sean Sexyface, I just can't name my sheperd that can I? Don't get me wrong i love ME and had a lot of fun especially towards the ending scramble of emotion in ME2, but Bethesda don't disappoint because the only way they can is if you fail as an immersed player, I believe that all the tools are there in their games it's just that some people don't know how to use them. I do also love the Fallout franchise, all of them, and as of late I have to say I like New Vegas a lot more than Fallout three but that wouldn't sway my vote for Bethesda since I'm all up in those elder scrolls, going blind with the foretelling of things to come (and too much time at a screen). And, well jrpgs really NEVER were rpgs in the correct use of the term so their name still baffles me and Squeenix, well, fuck em'.