Poll: Who Do You Think is the Best Sci-Fi Soldier?

Lonely Swordsman

Jun 29, 2009
I mean come on they are the original sci-fi marines
STOP RIGHT THERE HERETICAL SCUM!
Out of the options listed, Starship Troopers' Mobile Infantry came first.

I agree though. You can't argue with an army that enrolls not just genetically modified supersoldiers, but also supersoldiers-turned-vampires, psychics, cyborgs and if you take Chaos Marines into account, fucking space demons.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
Hawk of Battle said:
This is a contest involving 40k. Every other argument is invalid. Nothing competes with 40k and wins.
This. Sphase Mahrins are the best, nothing here comes even close to beating them.
Shock and Awe said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
snip

Saulkar said:
Shock and Awe said:
Scarecrow 8 said:
snip

snip/quote]
snip
snip
snip
Death Prophet said:
snip
snip.
To be fair the Spartans are also incredibly stronger, larger and faster than their UNSC Marine counterparts. They also have a vast array of biological upgrades, though not quite as extreme as that of Space Marines the results are similar in that they are stronger and faster than regular humans. Their armor also enhances they speed and strength so much that a non augmented marine would kill themselves trying to use it. The thing that makes them superior to Space Marines to me is their intellect and the fact that they are more agile and much faster. They may not be able to dish out or take as much, but they will make sure they never get hit and the other guy never gets rest.
True true. But even chief who is the oldest spartan has fought only a normal humans life time. Each spacemarine has fought like CENTURIES and they can fight for weeks straight. If nowhere else they beat spartans in experience and stamina.

Mar 25, 2011
Storm-Fucking-Troopers
They're probably the most organized, They a SHITLOAD of them and they aren't Sissies...uh, I mean "zealous"... *cough cough* Space Marines *cough cough*

But if it's one-on-one with these choices Stormtroopers would get raped

By Chainswords
EDIT: HOW COME NO-ONE LIKES STORMTROOPERS?!

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
In terms of awesome I'm torn between Stormtroopers and Terran Marines.

But because nothing beats incompetence combined with the 'Wilhelm Scream' I have to go with Stormtroopers.

Also Starwars.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
Space Marines, if we're going by lore.
They're all tactically trained and military protegees, they're all highly experienced.
They're all 8 feet tall with strengthened bones, multiple vital organs and have the ability to spit acid.
Oh and their standard issue rifle essentially fires small rockets. Yeah.

Throw in all their armoured support (dreadnoughts, whirlwinds, land raiders anyone?) and they have a huge advantage.

If we're talking tabletop type marines then they're a lot weaker but they'd still give the others a run for their money, in that case tight between them and the Spartans.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Space Marines have the rather large advantage of being from the year 40k. Seriously, none of these other soldiers' tech stands a chance against what the Space Marines are packing.

However, as for which is my favorite, the Spartan II's. They look awesome, and despite going against almost literally impossible odds, always manage to kick some ass.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
If you were arguing which was coolest, the answer might be different.

But in terms of effectiveness, it would be ludicrous to suggest anything other than space marines.

May 28, 2009
Lonely Swordsman said:
I mean come on they are the original sci-fi marines
STOP RIGHT THERE HERETICAL SCUM!
Out of the options listed, Starship Troopers' Mobile Infantry came first.

I agree though. You can't argue with an army that enrolls not just genetically modified supersoldiers, but also supersoldiers-turned-vampires, psychics, cyborgs and if you take Chaos Marines into account, fucking space demons.
Shock and Awe said:
*Geek mode activate!*

Space marines hands down! Genetically modified super soldiers, equipped with he best tech the Imperium of Man has to offer and more zealous than the Pope on a bad day.

I mean come on they are the original sci-fi marines, they have numbers, tech and sheer strength. So either in a straight up fist fight or in a full on war out of all the options there Space Marines win.

*Disengage Geek mode*
Actually Starship Troopers were around far before Space Marines. The book came out in the mid 50s.
Yeah I know the Starship Trooper marines where the 1st, I meant to put super-soldier. My bad guys :(

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
It depends on whose "Space Marines" you mean. (I went with Spartans anyway, because I'm guessing you didn't mean Confederation of Valor.)

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Starship Troopers because they were the first. Plus they have the most "depth" behind them. Rest is just bunch of fancy copy-cats at various degree.

As for single person Ellen Ripley from Aliens of course.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
I'm gonna go with space marines, they have some nasty equipment and they know how to use it.

The only ones on the list that can provide a reasonable resistance are the Mobile Infantry
but I don't think they'd be able to do a lot versus the space marines.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Space Marines are probably my option, as they're the protagonists of about 60% of the games I enjoy.
Besides, Space Marines have BFG 9000's. You can't argue against a BFG 9000. Especially if this guy is holding it:

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
The God-Emperor's Adeptas Astartes of course, genetically engineered super human super soldiers recruited from the most skilled and bravest warriors of all Mankind and raised to a phenomonal level of excellence in a brutal universe and fighting for a faction that considers several hundred billion soldiers killed in action over a planet of not even eyebrow raising importance!

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
Shock and Awe said:
I_am_a_Spoon said:
Shock and Awe said:
I personally think that Halo's Spartans are the superior Super Soldier. They may not be quite as tough as space marines, have the huge arsenal of Starship Troopers, or be as expendable as Stormtroopers, but they are much better rounded than any other. They are crazy deadly with or without suits, are easily smarter than any of the others, and can use just about any weapon without much trouble.
I actually think that Imperial Stormtroopers (Warhammer 40k, not Star Wars) would probably be an even match for Spartan IIs, and definitely able to hold their own against Spartan IIIs.

My brother and I had an hour-long discussion about it, and eventually agreed that the outcome would depend on the situational context.
Maybe, they are very similar, both in origin and purpose. Despite that I think the Genetic Mods and Armor of a Spartan III(even the armor used by most of them, not the Noble variants) push them ahead. Though without the armor it would definitely be an interesting fight. Probably just depending on who gets the drop on who.
Well, my brother and I figured that:

- Stormtrooper < Spartan
Though Stormtroopers have access to an extra 38000 years of training development and advances, Spartans are both physically and intellectually superior, able to utilise a level of resourcefulness and adaptability uncommon within the Imperium of Man. Both are probably similarly skilled when it comes to combat.

- Hellguns/Hot-Shot Lasguns > Assault Rifle/Battle Rifle
Aside from their logistical advantages, las-weapons have incredible accuracy (near-perfect ballistic properties and no recoil), equal (if not better) stopping power, and better penetrative ability (Hot-Shots can penetrate power armour, for example). Most Halo weapons are outdated even by modern standards.

- Carapace Armour = Mark VI MJOLNIR
Carapace is thicker and more resistant to damage, but MJOLNIR allows for greater agility/mobility, and provides both a basic energy shield and a sealed environment (though Stormtroopers can do the same).

Rems said:
Very situational.

If they were stripped of all equipment and forced to fight in a cage match then the Astartes (Space Marine) would win- he's far physically superior than the rest. 8 foot tall, 2 hearts, three lungs, self clotting wounds, immune to concussions, can crush a man's skull with his bare hands, strengthen bones and can spit acid.
Don't forget conscious control of pain receptors, can spend weeks without sleep, bulletproof fused ribcage, near-immunity to poisons, and can learn memories by eating a victim's brain. Not to mention all the wargear and support they have access to.

BadPublicity

Sep 17, 2010
The Colonial Marines from the Alien movie series, even though they always get there ass handed to them. Gotta love those Pulse Rifles.