Poll: Who Do You Think is the Best Sci-Fi Soldier?

3quency

Jun 12, 2009
Mieli from The Quantum Thief.
She has artillery hidden in both her arms. She can call down orbital strikes in less than a second. She can essentially pause realtime to draw up a combat strategy, and she has goddamn wings.
Bad. Ass.

Doomsday11

Apr 15, 2010
Shock and Awe said:
Ninjat_126 said:
Shock and Awe said:
Ninjat_126 said:
Hawk of Battle said:
This is a contest involving 40k. Every other argument is invalid. Nothing competes with 40k and wins.
Mobile Infantry, if they had the space.

The key drawback with the MI would be that they require their gear to be operational to actually be effective. They're well trained and can still fight with old guns, knives and their bare hands, but nowhere nearly as efficiently as a Space Marine or Spartan.
Thats probably the biggest reason I chose the Spartans over them. MI troopers are tough as nails and aren't dumb either, but compared with genetically modified super soldiers they just can't keep up.
Of course, if you strip away the gear and armour and make them fight hand to hand, Space Marines would win every time due to the whole "I'm 8 feet tall and spit acid" thing.

It would be an interesting fight though. Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny time?
Well Spartans are seven feet high.....XD

Plus from what I've seen they're a lot smarter than Space Marines
Nope not really space marines are nigh immortal and are actually pretty smart they spend years training in all aspects of war from tactics though too hand to hand and are expected to excel in all areas not saying spartans arn't cool and all but there not really in the same league.Though personally if they had all there equipment I'd go with the startship troopers those fuckers are tough.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Space Marines.. i mean the only way to compare the soldiers are to look at their enemies, after all more often than not it is their enemies that define the not only the nature of the conflict but also the combatants.

starship troopers fight giant bugs

stormtroopers fight ewoks and the incompetency of their engineers and architects

spartans fight one fanatical alien conglomeration

terran marines fight zergs

space marines fight just about everything, space elves space orks... freaking space demons from another dimension, metal space zombies, space weeabo's and their mechs, and zergs tyranid hive monsters...from space.

suffice it to say the space marines definitely win on versatility, i mean they have to be adaptive to combat so many different space fiends.

but the most convincing bit of evidence is that the space marines more often than not, win against a galaxy where there is only war... on the other hand there might be a bit of plot armour involved.... which could be said to some of the other entries as well, especially the spartans.

the only threat to the space marines i can see on this list would be the galactic empire, but their lack of skill is so damning that it is not even worth seriously considering

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
idarkphoenixi said:
Stand up Browncoats!!! Hoo-raa!!!!

andrew201292 said:
capt malcolm reynolds.
As much as I adore that man, I don't think he could stand up against the Emperor's Space Marines.

It's not about winning the fight, it's about surviving. Serenity can stay out of the grasp of even the largest empire :D !

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
Guys, on top of all of the genetic perfection, augmentations, technological advantages and pure insanity of the Space Marines, they also have centuries of combat experience, and spend decades working as Scout Marines before they are inducted as full Space Marine Battle-Brothers.

You say a Space Marine lacks the cunning and intelligence of a Spartan? Scout Marines (AKA, the former job of every Space Marine) go behind enemy lines, enemies as fearsome as the Space Marines themselves, wearing gimped Space Marine Armour, and complete sabotage missions. They're basically super-powered James Bond's, and have the craziest initiation of any army, ever. Spartans get trained from the age of 4? Space Marines are the best of the best, and have centuries of training, experience and resilience.

There is nothing a Space Marine hasn't seen. They are simply unstoppable.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
idarkphoenixi said:
idarkphoenixi said:
Stand up Browncoats!!! Hoo-raa!!!!

andrew201292 said:
capt malcolm reynolds.
As much as I adore that man, I don't think he could stand up against the Emperor's Space Marines.

It's not about winning the fight, it's about surviving. Serenity can stay out of the grasp of even the largest empire :D !
Aaaaaand that just brought a tear to my eye.

Dufaunce

Aug 11, 2009
I would have to say the Sisters of Battle (also starts with an S), more specifically the Living Saint. How many sci-fi soldiers do you know that also embody an etherial diety?

Oh wait...

Scorpianhead

Mar 13, 2010
Hawk of Battle said:
This is a contest involving 40k. Every other argument is invalid. Nothing competes with 40k and wins.
You are right and any one who says otherwise shall have a chaimsword shoved down there throats.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Given I don't know about the Terran or Space Marines, have no knowledge of the Marines from the book Starship Troopers (though in the film they're pretty much totally shit) and the Stormtroopers are just fucking worthless (seriously, how hard is it to shoot a 7 foot tall ball of fur that's roaring at you?) I'll have to go with...

...the Spartans. Mostly cause they're named after the most balls-out-insane military force in human history, plus despite my disinterest in his actual character, Master Chief does kick a whole lot of arse.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Char Aznable

he doesn't need useless stuff like "camouflage" or "space suits"
he just makes sure he doesn't get shot down.

OrdoSicarius

Jun 16, 2011
I'll just drop this here...
Space Marines all the way. Not even a contest. Look at all that cool junk
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Creation_of_a_Space_Marine

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I voted Space Marines as well, largely because I couldn't vote for the 8th Armoured.

This topic is seriously lacking a poll option for 8th Armoured. They drop from the sky without nancy drop pods, have jetpacks, also drive Dreadnaught armor, and have energy shields in addition to wicked power armor.

Section 8 all the way (even if the company that makes the game is rubbish!).

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
This basically comes down to Mobile Infantry (Starship Troopers) vs Space Marines (WH40K).

In the film, the MI are Imperial Guardsmen without t-shirts, flashlights or tanks.

In the novel, they are unstoppable death machines with jetpack-armoured-spacesuits. It's said in the book that a single MI Private could take out a platoon of tanks unassisted "if anybody was silly enough to put tanks against M.I."

They serve as Army and Air Force, light recon for raids and invasion forces dropped from orbit onto a planet's surface en-masse.

Up against Space Marines? 1-on-1 they'd go down. In pitched battle, it'd be fairly even.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009

I'm sorry. I couldn't hear you over how awesome I am.

They fought in a war, they have guns, they kill things.

They're soldiers.

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Aragatory said:
I don't have a low content post
I love how when someone new joins the site they get a warning for low content, and then sometimes post about it. Just don't worry we've all been there.

OT: I don;t know much about the space marines, so I went ith what I knew best. Spartans.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
ChupathingyX said:
The Adeptus Astartes.

Why? Because the Emperor protects, that's why.
The Emperor protects, huh? I've never found a loaded bolter to hurt though...

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
Imperial Gaurd all the way. Just normal everyday people, with some armour and a gun, no special powers are fancy armour, just what they need (Except Yarrick, he has a claw for a hand)

Normal people survive in the 40k just as much as other races