Poll: Who Do You Think is the Best Sci-Fi Soldier?

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
EradiusLore said:
Reet72 said:
EradiusLore said:
no way you can compare any of the others to a space marine, they are walking tanks with the agility of an acrobat and guns bigger then the others on the list. your talking about 30,000 years of development (missing out the last 10,000 because no real development happens) thats a lot longer then anything else really, i guess you could argue stormtroopers but at the end of the day they are just crack soldiers
How could you argue that stormtroopers are better? Would the space marines get so bored of gunning the millions of them down with ease that they died of pure exhaustion?
hmmm maybe i just imagined the first part of my post but didnt i say space marine?

No, I was refering to the part where you said "I guess you could argue stormtroopers". It was an off the cuff sarcastic comment on how much the stormtroopers suck consideringthat they never hit anything. Ever.
So it was a joke. I'm sorry if I came across as critisising your comment.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
I'm not sure you can really compare Space Marines and Terran Marines with any entity other than the Spartan - IIs, or more specifically, the orgional Spartan Blue Team, led by Master Cheif in the book "Fall of Reach"

Lets compare:

Space Marines: Heavy armor vs Spartan-II : Energy Sheilds for added protection against PROJECTILE rounds. S-IIs win that one, as the Imperium and other Space Marine bodies use mainly Bolters, which are projectile weapons. I don't think the Imperium actually uses energy weapons anyway.

Space Marines: Heavy Projectile Weapons, Swords...? vs Spartan-II: A wide array, of light, medium, and heavy projectile weapons, a sniper rifle that can practically penetrate Cruiser Battleplate at 2000 yards, not to mention all the other stuff... And the fact that more likely than not, Imperium swords would bounce off or break after hitting MJOLNIR armor. The knives used in Reach are a special type of knife called the "Predator" knife. It is specifically designed to be able to pierce things harder than MJOLNIR. Spartans win again.

Space Marines: Quite a few armies vs Spartan-IIs: A few. Less than 100. Okay, right now, there's probably 5 left counting all the ones found at the end of the novel First Strike, but we've got the one guy who seems to absorb all the luck in the universe, so we've got that.

I think that about covers it, Spartans win 2 of 3 matchups.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I'm going to go with mobile infantry on this one. They've got the edge in mobility (significantly) and almost certainly in protection all while wielding more firepower. If we are simply comparing soldier to soldier, it isn't any contest. If you expand the discussion to include various specialty assets (e.g the Imperial Navy), then things would get interesting.

Just consider that Space Marines are armed with weapons that fire .75 caliber rocket assisted explosive projectiles while the mobile infantry fire tactical nuclear devices. Anything without a void shield would be annihilated by such a device with ease.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
The thing with a lot of people claiming that Spartans are smarter than Space Marines may be true, but you're not counting the fact that Space Marines tend to be between eighty to a hundred years old when they become Space Marines. There's no way a Spartan could take a Space Marine in a fair fight. It'd be like comparing a veteran soldier to someone who's only just gotten out of basic training.

[Edit]
Shock and Awe said:
*snip*
To be fair the Spartans are also incredibly stronger, larger and faster than their UNSC Marine counterparts. They also have a vast array of biological upgrades, though not quite as extreme as that of Space Marines the results are similar in that they are stronger and faster than regular humans. Their armor also enhances they speed and strength so much that a non augmented marine would kill themselves trying to use it. The thing that makes them superior to Space Marines to me is their intellect and the fact that they are more agile and much faster. They may not be able to dish out or take as much, but they will make sure they never get hit and the other guy never gets rest.
They may be superior to base line humans but they're still not superior to Space Marines. If you'd like an analogy, a regular human is a humvee, a Spartan is a tank. A Space Marine is a naval battleship. There simply is no competition.
Spartan448 said:
I'm not sure you can really compare Space Marines and Terran Marines with any entity other than the Spartan - IIs, or more specifically, the orgional Spartan Blue Team, led by Master Cheif in the book "Fall of Reach"

Lets compare:

Space Marines: Heavy armor vs Spartan-II : Energy Sheilds for added protection against PROJECTILE rounds. S-IIs win that one, as the Imperium and other Space Marine bodies use mainly Bolters, which are projectile weapons. I don't think the Imperium actually uses energy weapons anyway.

Space Marines: Heavy Projectile Weapons, Swords...? vs Spartan-II: A wide array, of light, medium, and heavy projectile weapons, a sniper rifle that can practically penetrate Cruiser Battleplate at 2000 yards, not to mention all the other stuff... And the fact that more likely than not, Imperium swords would bounce off or break after hitting MJOLNIR armor. The knives used in Reach are a special type of knife called the "Predator" knife. It is specifically designed to be able to pierce things harder than MJOLNIR. Spartans win again.

Space Marines: Quite a few armies vs Spartan-IIs: A few. Less than 100. Okay, right now, there's probably 5 left counting all the ones found at the end of the novel First Strike, but we've got the one guy who seems to absorb all the luck in the universe, so we've got that.

Wrong, the Imperial guard use laser rifles that generally pump out 118MJ per shot and Space Marines use plasma weaponry and melta weaponry. 40K plasma weapons make the Covenant plasma weapons look like fire crackers in comparison and their melta weapons are essentially microwave lasers that would turn Spartans and Halo-verse starship armour to slag.

Ceramite armour is also pretty heavy, those 118MJ lasgun rounds barely make the paint run. From what I recall, Covenant plasma weaponry puts out about 300-400KJ bolts.

Space Marine melee weapons are brutal, they wouldn't find any challenge from Halo-verse armour, chainswords are used to cut through starship bulkheads and power weapons are essentially weapons with a disintegration field that renders any armour pretty much useless.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Are we talking with or without equipment?

Either way, stormtroopers lose, but the other ones are entirely dependent of it.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
The Dalek army, obviously. I mean:

Cyberman: Daleks be warned; you have declared war upon the Cybermen.
Dalek: This is not war. This is pest control.
Cyberman: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?
Dalek: Four.
Cyberman: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?
Dalek: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek. You are superior in only one respect.
Cyberman: What is that?
Dalek: You are better at dying.

COME ON. Daleks are the clear choice here.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
Chaos Marine said:
The thing with a lot of people claiming that Spartans are smarter than Space Marines may be true, but you're not counting the fact that Space Marines tend to be between eighty to a hundred years old when they become Space Marines. There's no way a Spartan could take a Space Marine in a fair fight. It'd be like comparing a veteran soldier to someone who's only just gotten out of basic training.

[Edit]

Spartan448 said:

Lets compare:

Wrong, the Imperial guard use laser rifles that generally pump out 118MJ per shot and Space Marines use plasma weaponry and melta weaponry. 40K plasma weapons make the Covenant plasma weapons look like fire crackers in comparison and their melta weapons are essentially microwave lasers that would turn Spartans and Halo-verse starship armour to slag.

Ceramite armour is also pretty heavy, those 118MJ lasgun rounds barely make the paint run. From what I recall, Covenant plasma weaponry puts out about 300-400KJ bolts.

Space Marine melee weapons are brutal, they wouldn't find any challenge from Halo-verse armour, chainswords are used to cut through starship bulkheads and power weapons are essentially weapons with a disintegration field that renders any armour pretty much useless.
Good point about the Marines there, may I also add if you don't mind that some marines do have energy shields, usually captains and terminators and I'm also pretty sure the Spartans don't actually field a weapon strong enough to even scratch Terminator armour. Also Terminators and Marines have a massively powerful power plant in their suits so their shield would be more powerful.

winginson

Mar 27, 2011
Spaloooooka said:
Sarduka - Dune
But they get owned by the Fremen!

Space marines
1 to 1 - far better armour, weapons, training and 'super-soldierness'.
Battles - Land Raiders end of.
Wars - Massive powerful doom-fleets that blow up planets just to slow an enemy down.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Spaloooooka said:
Sarduka - Dune
Fremen fighting Sardukhar was like normal soldiers fighting Sardukhar.

So I say Fremen, some dirty locals nobody took notice of while they exploited their land that were secretly terrifying!

Mar 26, 2008
Fanta Grape said:
Stormtroopers. Back in the original trilogy (as opposed to the NON-CANONPREQUELSSHUTUPTHEYARE) they had personality. They'd chat, do their job, but they were just regular people doing their job. I think that's why I like them.
I loved in SW:ANH when Obi-Wan was disabling the tractor beam generator there were two Stormtroopers just slacking off and shooting the breeze. Now there's a morally-questionable, faceless army I can related to.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Space Marines, especially at Legion strength. How is this even a question? The Sons of Horus could destroy Palavin in a week, and meaning no offense to Master Chief, its easy to be a badass when the enemy are squeak cowardly aliens with flashlights. Try punching a Space Wolf, see what happens John.

Ken Daly

Sep 27, 2010
Deadyawn said:
EradiusLore said:
Reet72 said:
EradiusLore said:
no way you can compare any of the others to a space marine, they are walking tanks with the agility of an acrobat and guns bigger then the others on the list. your talking about 30,000 years of development (missing out the last 10,000 because no real development happens) thats a lot longer then anything else really, i guess you could argue stormtroopers but at the end of the day they are just crack soldiers
How could you argue that stormtroopers are better? Would the space marines get so bored of gunning the millions of them down with ease that they died of pure exhaustion?
hmmm maybe i just imagined the first part of my post but didnt i say space marine?

No, I was refering to the part where you said "I guess you could argue stormtroopers". It was an off the cuff sarcastic comment on how much the stormtroopers suck consideringthat they never hit anything. Ever.
So it was a joke. I'm sorry if I came across as critisising your comment.

Someone explain "crack soldier" to me??