Poll: Who has a higher pain tolerance; Men or Women

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Why do people keep saying childbirth? It's not like they have much other choice than to just withstand the pain. Are they supposed to just tell the kid "No, this hurts to much, so you'll have to stay in there." And as already mentioned, the body dopes itself to be able to go through that amount of pain, so it's hardly fair to compare that to something like "a kick in the balls", as that is a far more sudden pain that is hardly countered at all by the body.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
J03bot said:
rokkolpo said:
Hero in a half shell said:
I got into a debate with my sisters, about whether males or Females have a higher pain tolerance. They (obviously) said women do, and I (obviously) said men do. I argued that men are stronger, play more dangeous sports and that pain that would hurt her wouldn't hurt me, she brought up man flu, childbirth and periods. So, who had a higher pain tolerance?
Be sure to tell them that childbirth and periods are invalid arguments because men can't have them.
So there is no way to find out.
Also man flu, because women can't have it. That shit is bad, and they have no idea just how bad.
What is man flu?
Never heard of it.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Currently both women, men and terminators are tied for first with 6 votes apiece. This is why I love the Escapist forums.
My sister said at the end of the arguement that men could deal with external pain better, and women could deal with internal pain better.
Internal and external pain? What and the hell does she mean?

spartanluffy said:
mythbusters already did this test. i dont remember which but the results are out there
While I respect Myth Busters, real scientist already did the testing too.

And across the board, men have have both a higher tolerance for pain, and recognize pain later then, women.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Internal and external pain? What and the hell does she mean?
I guess internal could mean maybe stuff like headaches or stomachaches?

master plaster2

Apr 3, 2011
I'm taking a class in psychology, and right now we are discussing the differences between men and women. According to the class, women have a higher pain tolerance then men. Didn't extra credits also mention this once already?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Most men try to hide it and pretend it doesn't hurt. Most women have no such hang ups.

I've seen the aftermath of a LOOOOOT of people after they've been shot/stabbed/beaten up. I'm still going to go with men as having a higher tolerance generally speaking. Few freak out, scream, gnash their teeth, rend garments, and wail at the heavens. Like easily 90% of women do. This anecdotal of course.

Oh yeah men seem to handle OD's a lot better too...

Obviously, childbirth throws a whole wrench into this sort of thing but there's nothing a man goes through that compares exactly. So I'm saying when handling SIMILAR kinds of pain; it's almost always men all societies teach us to rub some dirt on it and bear it.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Men have a higher short term pain tolerance. Women can take pain for a longer time.

See: fighting and childbirth.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
rokkolpo said:
J03bot said:
rokkolpo said:
I got into a debate with my sisters, about whether males or Females have a higher pain tolerance. They (obviously) said women do, and I (obviously) said men do. I argued that men are stronger, play more dangeous sports and that pain that would hurt her wouldn't hurt me, she brought up man flu, childbirth and periods. So, who had a higher pain tolerance?
Be sure to tell them that childbirth and periods are invalid arguments because men can't have them.
So there is no way to find out.
Also man flu, because women can't have it. That shit is bad, and they have no idea just how bad.
What is man flu?
Never heard of it.
Wait, are you the one talked about in the prophecy? The one who will bring an end to man flu? The one who's very blood is the cure?

OK, we may have to kill you and drain all your blood to develop a synthetic cure. Sorry.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Weird. Most of the people posting on the thread say men, but women are winning the vote.

Yeah, gonna have to go with women on this one. You men are big, studly babies when it comes to the long-term pain department.

Quick pain (like a punch)? Maybe you win there. But for anything sustained, we kick your ass.

You know those leg cramps you get that can drop you to the ground hissing (ala the dad from Family Guy)? We get those in our abdomens, once a month, for three-four days. Yeah.

Edit: Or, to put another way, when you get kicked in the balls every month, the idea of getting 8 months off from being kicked in the balls is usually worth the super kick at the end.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
we both have different tolerance for different types of pain, just because your tolerant to bruises and injuries, a bad headache might bring you to your knees crying
just because your **** bleeds every month doesnt mean youll be fine when you get a cut to the bone
meh, that my opinion from what i have observed (seen football players that have the ability to almost ignore a broken arm get nearly incapacitated when they got a migraine for the first time in their life)

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
rokkolpo said:
What is man flu?
Never heard of it.
Allow me to explain the joke...

There is a stigma that when men get sick with a cold/flu virus, they are little bitches and moan about it much more than women.

As such, the idea is that men suffer from worse versions of the flu than women do, hence the man flu.

Of course, there is no such thing as a man flu, but the joke involves everyone believing that there is such a thing.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
HerbertTheHamster said:
Men have a higher short term pain tolerance. Women can take pain for a longer time.

See: fighting and childbirth.
Fighting?

Explain.

Bara_no_Hime said:
Weird. Most of the people posting on the thread say men, but women are winning the vote.

Yeah, gonna have to go with women on this one. You men are big, studly babies when it comes to the long-term pain department.

Quick pain (like a punch)? Maybe you win there. But for anything sustained, we kick your ass.

You know those leg cramps you get that can drop you to the ground hissing (ala the dad from Family Guy)? We get those in our abdomens, once a month, for three-four days. Yeah.
Ever seen the effects of chronic pain on females and males?

I have. I've spent quite a bit of time in pain therapy, and I can say, from experience, females handle it much worse, abusing pain medication at a higher rate when most men, who refuse the meds in the first place.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
rokkolpo said:
What is man flu?
Never heard of it.
I think it was in that episode of the Justice League where some crazy ***** tries to kill all men and Wonder Woman reluctantly saves us.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Menmen men men, menly men men men...

That's why I don't punch women.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Dags90 said:
Hell, many women give birth via C-section now
Yeah, cause major abdominal surgery's the easy option...!!

It's all down to the individual. I've dealt with both genders, both adults and children, with various injuries - some will scream bloody murder over a broken toenail (in this case, an adult male teacher!) and some with broken bones who've not uttered a peep. Go figure.

Blt3200

Oct 5, 2009
master plaster2 said:
I'm taking a class in psychology, and right now we are discussing the differences between men and women. According to the class, women have a higher pain tolerance then men. Didn't extra credits also mention this once already?
there we go. I was about to mention extra credits also. But about the whole pain thing, i think it would be equal.
Both men and woman have to do alot of things that involve pain, both are different. like internal and external.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
I thought it was pretty scientifically proven that women have a higher pain threshold?

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Biological fact that men have a higher pain tolerance then women- our synaptic responses for the type of neurones that communicate pain are about 1/3 of the speed of women. (i.e. less impulses in the same time frame=less pain).

EDIT= the psychological and behavioural aspects of dealing with pain I have no idea about however.

EDIT= And heres the journal article to back up my claims. http://www.jpain.org/article/S1526-5900%2808%2900909-7/abstract

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure most studies have come up with Women as the clear winner in this regard.

Strength |= pain tolerence