Poll: Who has a higher pain tolerance; Men or Women

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
kasperbbs said:
I saw an episode of mythbusters where they did this test and women won, perhaps they went easy on them or maybe the ladies tried harder, who knows.
It may have something to do with the test they did (They used the pain from putting your hand in a bowl of ice water; maybe men have less tolerance for extreme temperatures or something.)

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
IckleMissMayhem said:
Yeah, cause major abdominal surgery's the easy option...!!
Doctors certainly enjoy being able to schedule it. I think about 30% of babies are surgically removed instead of being born in the U.S.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
The difference between a higher pain tolerance or just feeling less pain is just a matter of perspective anyway.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Terminators feel no pain. But anyways, I heard that women have a higher pain threshold than men and it was shown in Mythbusters however I am skeptical of their results. The reason being is that it was only one test and used only a handful of people. I think pain threshold has more to do with the individual than the overall sex.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Internal and external pain has got me thinking about something in a Cracked article...something about how touching a wound and looking at it makes it hurt less? I'unno. I'll have to go find it again.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Pain is subjective, so I can't really say.
But from what I've heard - women have a higher pain threshold and have more endurance
Men have quick metabolism and build muscles better (cause female bodybuilders drink testosterone as doping)

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Dags90 said:
IckleMissMayhem said:
Yeah, cause major abdominal surgery's the easy option...!!
Doctors certainly enjoy being able to schedule it. I think about 30% of babies are surgically removed instead of being born in the U.S.
C-sections are, for the most part, safer. Surgeons can control many of the factors of childbirth, instead of just hoping everything turns out okay.

Now a days, anyway. When my mom was pregnant with me, I was two weeks late. She was BEGGING for a C-Section, but they wouldn't give her one. Turned out okay, sort of: my mother gave birth about an hour after being admitted. They said she got contractions, laid down, and I slid right with 1 push.

My mother tells this story frequently. She says this is basically the way my entire life has been: I don't bother doing anything unless I can do it right. I never crawled: went straight to walking (But I was 3 months late doing so), and I never was potty trained, one day I just jumped up and used the toilet (Again, late).

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
man flu is an irrelevant factor, there is no such thing its a generalisation and quite frankly stupid stereotype

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"man flu, childbirth and periods."

Man flu isn't pain, its feeling shit (not that its even real anyway) - and just because women endure the other two doesn't mean they have higher pain thresholds, it just means they endure them.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I believe biologically women are more tolerant of pain, but men are trained to repress pain whereas women aren't. So I guess my answer is women, but they also react to pain at a much lower threshold. Men just hide it.

Survival instinct perhaps, avoiding appearing weak to predators.

Jedamethis said:
Internal and external pain has got me thinking about something in a Cracked article...something about how touching a wound and looking at it makes it hurt less? I'unno. I'll have to go find it again.
You are correct there. I think the article was 7 super powers everyone has or something along those lines. I think it was about healing faster though rather than not hurting...but I could be wrong.

Helmet

Could use a beer about now...
May 14, 2008
I vote for men, because I'm a man and I have a pretty high pain threshold.

As an example, on Thanksgiving last year I accidentally cut off the last half of the last knuckle on my left index finger. Hurt like hell.

I picked up the piece off the table, covered the bleeding wound with a rag, and then went to the hospital.

I was cracking jokes as they were stitching my finger back on. Went to work the next day for a 13 hour shift. On Black Friday.

Now, I am well aware than I cannot be the sole example in this argument, but that's my reasoning for voting men- I'm a stubborn fool.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
C-sections are, for the most part, safer. Surgeons can control many of the factors of childbirth, instead of just hoping everything turns out okay.
If by "for the most part, safer" you mean "can lead to an up to 3 times higher mortality rate" then, yeah. "For the most part, safer". [footnote]http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1980192/cdc_says_cesarean_triples_neonatal.html?cat=25[/footnote]

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
A number of studies have shown that in general women have a higher pain threshold than me. Of course, it really is more a case of individual basis... everyone has their own pain levels they can tolerate, and it has more to do with the person than their sex or gender.

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
from what i read (*ERM* in a cracked article *COUGH*) women can only cope with the pain of childbirth because their body spends the whole 9 months preparing them

as an intellectual exercise, it'd be interesting to see how they cope with the pain if the pregnancy went from day 1 straight to delivery... just for funzies... i'm not an evil person...

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
I don't know quite what you mean but women have a higher pain threshold.
Its been scientifically proven.Also women are tougher mentally.Men go insane much faster.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
Verlander said:
I thought it was pretty scientifically proven that women have a higher pain threshold?
ha! they wish! it's one of those things like we only use 10% of our max brain capacity. which is just as wrong (cerebral szintigrams, anyone?)

i also very much like the giving-birth-argument... as if they have a choice... and as if they don't scream o_O (i'm not saying i wouldn't do it, but that argument would be far more impressive if they didn't (as much))

also, i work at a surgical ward - guess who asks for more anaesthetics? ^^

Uncreation

Aug 4, 2009
Necromancer Jim said:
The undead. They feel no pain.
I must agree. But i voted terminators. Hmm, what about undead terminators...

AccursedTheory said:
Women have almost twice as many pain receptors as men. The only way they can make it through child birthing is by automatic doping in the brain.

Also, if I remember correctly, men have a larger adrenal gland, which helps to ignore pain in high stress scenarios.
That's what i've read too. Scientific studies have shown that women have better pain tolerance around child birth, but in general men have more pain tolerance. So, it depends on the situation. And i guess it varies from person to person, like most things.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Dags90 said:
AccursedTheory said:
If by "for the most part, safer" you mean "can lead to an up to 3 times higher mortality rate" then, yeah. "For the most part, safer". [footnote]http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1980192/cdc_says_cesarean_triples_neonatal.html?cat=25[/footnote]
Find a study that discounts c-sections done for actual medical reasons (Besides elective), and I'll believe it.

I also have trouble believing most of the things the CDC says, as they tend to enjoy fear mongering, and I've talked to some people at USAMRIID (Fort Detrick) who have had dealings with the CDC.

...They don't like each other.

EDIT: Lets drop this here, and pick it up somewhere else if you wish. TO be honest, I don't care much, and I'm willing to admit your right if it saves me the research. My back hurts