Poll: Who has a higher pain tolerance; Men or Women

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Find a study that discounts c-sections done for actual medical reasons (Besides elective), and I'll believe it.

I also have trouble believing most of the things the CDC says, as they tend to enjoy fear mongering, and I've talked to some people at USAMRIID (Fort Detrick) who have had dealings with the CDC.

...They don't like each other.
I wasn't talking about c-sections due to complications. I was talking about the 30% c-section rate in the U.S.. C-sections are not "for the most part, safer" they're "safer in very specific and limited circumstances". The author states that he was trying to prove the opposite of his conclusion, that statistically poorer outcomes of c-sections could be tied to its use in complicated pregnancies. He was wrong.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
kasperbbs said:
I saw an episode of mythbusters where they did this test and women won, perhaps they went easy on them or maybe the ladies tried harder, who knows.

Though mythbusters ain't real science (or rather, it isn't rigorous pear-reviewed science).

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Women do. They have to give birth to children, and are thus equipped with a higher pain threshold.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Women do. They have to give birth to children, and are thus equipped with a higher pain threshold.
Can't read an entire thread, eh?

hecticpicnic said:
I don't know quite what you mean but women have a higher pain threshold.
Its been scientifically proven.Also women are tougher mentally.Men go insane much faster.
Actually, no. Women are treated for mental problems more often then males. Depending on the problem, in can range from just a little more to 3 times as likely in women.

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
Women are scientifically proven to have a higher pain tolerance. If men experienced the level of pain women do during child-birth, they would have a heart attack from all the stress induced by the pain.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
Neither, the question makes no sense since pain is a subjective term and is felt differently by different people. Therefore it's impossible for anyone to lump it the binary category system of "one or the other" since it is a spectrum of various possibilities.

It'll be like asking: who feels more fear; group A or group B?

Unless you're pinning down what specific type of pain either group is feeling then there's no method of finding out which group has the higher tolerance threshold since it's likely that, regardless of gender, some people will be more used to some forms of pain than others depending on how their psyche and nervous system have developed throughout their lives and what genes they inherited since there are instances where people can inherit a complete inability to feel pain.

To be honest, speaking for 50% of the population is a fool's errand, you have no idea how someone else reacts to stimuli because you've never been them, you've only got your interpretation to go by, so whether you say "male" or "female" you're wrong because it's all relative.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
This thread is funny. Apparently science (not mythbusters, but more sciencey science) has proven that both men and women biologically have a higher pain tolerance. Screw it, I'm just going to vote Terminators. :p

I do agree that using a made up disease and two things that men can't even go through to see how they would handle the pain compared to a woman is not a fair way to come to an answer to such a question.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
*eyebrow raised* Ok I'll bite...

Some Basics:
---------------
Biology: Pain is the body's way of telling the brain something is hurting and you should stop doing it because you risk permanent damage and loss of functionality. The body also has means of supressing the sensation of pain fue to chemical responses which vary differently in men and women.

Sociology: Pain is also expressed differently due to traditional gender roles. Men are taught from an early age to not cry and to just carry on even if it hurts.
---------------

Men are capable of shruging off fights better but this might also be in part to the testosterone/adrenaline rush that got the fight started in the first place. Men also tend to have larger muscle masses so being punched would also hurt less initially as opposed to women who typically have no muscle mass or desire to obtain said muscle mass as men do. This is why a kick in the groin is typically tauted as being so incredibly painful, you cannot develop muscle on your nutsack.

Thanks to the above scenario, we can see that on average men are subjected to medium-to-high pain levels a lot less frequently that women are if taken in an identical instance-driven situation. (not practical for real world applications though, like adolescent boys get beaten up a lot more frequently than adolescent girls do)

The situations where the level of pain is virtually equal such as with the flu (because muscle mass is doing jack shit for you right now) means that men are being subjected to pain levels they're not traditionally accustomed to. However, when looking at this objectively, it would be said that most men exadgerate the pain claims in order to get out of work or responsibilities.

However then there are examples of males who are used to the pain of colds/flus and build a natural tolerance to them. From personal experience I can say my father, who gets sick maybe twice a decade, acts as if he's on his deathbed whereas I, who get sick roughly 6 times a year, act as if everything's the norm but usually exadgerate the claims so get out of uni/work a lot easier.

Subjecting both genders to high-to-extreme levels of pain (torture) results in man's natural tendencies, both chemical and sociological, to withstand the pain a lot better. Of course seeing as no case study in the world would get away with extreme torture (I don't mean water boarding, I mean sticking red-hot iron in your eye balls) on its test subjects it becomes a hard claim to verify.

Final verdict: The biggest contributing factor is experience and repeated exposure to the sensation; or in simple English, getting used to it. But we can see in extreme cases of pain such as mortal injury or prolonged torture than men win through sheer biological advantage over women. This of course has little to no importance in a standard lifestyle so it becomes a moot point.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I went with Terminators but men, it seems, do have a higher threshold for pain. If my hand is sliced open (and it has before) I may tighten my face a little. Most women I know scream over cutting their finger. and after stopping the bleeding (if there is no hydrogen peroxide around) I'll get some rubbing alcohol on it, or vodka if theres none of that. That hurts a little but no woman I know would ever do that. Except for my mom.

Which is weird because my mother is the only woman I know with a higher tolerance than me. She says its because she has five kids.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Dags90 said:
AccursedTheory said:
C-sections are, for the most part, safer. Surgeons can control many of the factors of childbirth, instead of just hoping everything turns out okay.
If by "for the most part, safer" you mean "can lead to an up to 3 times higher mortality rate" then, yeah. "For the most part, safer". [footnote]http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1980192/cdc_says_cesarean_triples_neonatal.html?cat=25[/footnote]
1/10000(about the odd of dieing in childbirth) and 3/10000(odds of dieing from a c-section) are basically the same thing the difference is minimal and probably within the stranded derivation of the studdys

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Currently both women, men and terminators are tied for first with 6 votes apiece. This is why I love the Escapist forums.
My sister said at the end of the arguement that men could deal with external pain better, and women could deal with internal pain better.
internal pain better?....like..OHH HE BROKE UP WITH ME? or ....owe my kidney?

and men....

Darkwhite

Nov 15, 2010
I've gotta say, men seem to be able to take more pain, they just whine about it far more lol.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Woman having a higher pain tolerance is a myth, most likely coming from the fact they deal with childbirth. In fact the only reason women can deal with that is because of pain medicating hormones being produced.