Poll: Who has a higher pain tolerance; Men or Women

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Very much depends on the individual and the type of pain imo.
I'm female and seem to be better at controlling my pain response when hurt.
My body does know how to kick my own arse tho... used to get really bad period pains lol. Pain caused by myself I have a lot less control over.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
HerbertTheHamster said:
Men have a higher short term pain tolerance. Women can take pain for a longer time.

See: fighting and childbirth.
Childbirth and ONLY during childbirth. Those hormones that reduce the pain don't flow through the blood (in such concentrations), when not with child.

Women are much more sensitive to pain than men in any other situation.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Men, in most situations. However, during childbirth a woman's tolerance for pain skyrockets thanks to the release of endorphins.

Jjkaybomb

Nov 22, 2009
We did this experiment in fifth grade. We were studying the Titanic, and the teacher was trying to show us just how cold the Atlantic waters were. He brought in a bucket of ice water, said it was about twenty degrees warmer than what the Atlantic was when the Titanic sunk, and asked for volunteers to stick thier arms in the water. When the boys did, there was a lot of shouting and complaining about how damn cold it was. When the girls stuck thier arms in, myself included, we were pretty much quiet, bored even. The teacher joked about how stoic we were.

Either women have a higher pain threshold, or we've been conditioned to never ever complain. Which one do you think it is?

ReaperzXIII

Jan 3, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
You know those leg cramps you get that can drop you to the ground hissing (ala the dad from Family Guy)? We get those in our abdomens, once a month, for three-four days. Yeah.
Cramps aren't anything, it just takes getting used to as someone said before, girls get used to the cramps, I've had quite a bit of cramps from working out, to the point its mere annoyance and I've had some serious cramps that I just end up laughing at.

Also you don't know how men would react to that as it may not be the same level of pain, there are some really bad cramps and some minor ones, so the ones that drop men hissing may be one of those really bad ones.

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
My dad is like a fucking tank. He regularly moves hot pots and pans straight off the stove with his bare hands (without making much of a fuss), just manages to ignore pain.

My grandma's nearly as resilient... I've only seen her cry out in pain a couple of times, and one of those times was when she broke her hip.

So I'd say it differs too much to be considered a statistical constant... any individual involved in such an experiment would be too much of a variable.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Men do.

It'd be stupid for men not to, wouldn't it, considering we're the ones that are designed in every other way to be doing all the fighting.

AmrasCalmacil said:
One word.
Waxing.
Men have a greater number of thicker hairs, so it will inevitably hurt them more.

Jjkaybomb

Nov 22, 2009
ReaperzXIII said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
You know those leg cramps you get that can drop you to the ground hissing (ala the dad from Family Guy)? We get those in our abdomens, once a month, for three-four days. Yeah.
Cramps aren't anything, it just takes getting used to as someone said before, girls get used to the cramps, I've had quite a bit of cramps from working out, to the point its mere annoyance and I've had some serious cramps that I just end up laughing at.
21. cramp pain still floors me and makes me a sobbing mess.

Thats something that really varies from woman to woman.

RamirezDoEverything

Jan 31, 2010
Women actually(I was surprised by this as well).

Women have to be able to bear the pain of childbirth, and can take pain a lot easier than men do.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
People who grow up having to ignore pain. This has less to do with physiology and more to do with experience.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
I've heard it said both ways; biology class said men have a higher tolerance and psychology said that women do. Something about women being able to ignore the pain in extreme situations (like their child being in danger)... basically, the maternal instinct can be scary.

From personal experience, my brother broke down and cried when he sprained his ankle and I (female) calmly asked for ice when I broke my foot... Meh.

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
I'm going with women due to personal experience. That is to say that my boyfriend turns into a total mewling baby when he gets a headache, stomachache, muscle cramp, any type of illness, etc. There's nothing more attractive than hearing a 25 year old "man" whine for you in a 1st grader's tone of voice.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
daftalchemist said:
I'm going with women due to personal experience. That is to say that my boyfriend turns into a total mewling baby when he gets a headache, stomachache, muscle cramp, any type of illness, etc. There's nothing more attractive than hearing a 25 year old "man" whine for you in a 1st grader's tone of voice.
Why are you dating him again?

kuyo

Dec 25, 2008
hecticpicnic said:
kuyo said:
Custard_Angel said:
rokkolpo said:
What is man flu?
Never heard of it.
Allow me to explain the joke...

There is a stigma that when men get sick with a cold/flu virus, they are little bitches and moan about it much more than women.

As such, the idea is that men suffer from worse versions of the flu than women do, hence the man flu.

Of course, there is no such thing as a man flu, but the joke involves everyone believing that there is such a thing.
Sound bogus, I get sick all the time and I don't ***** about it. I said that to a doctor once when he said I should be screaming out in pain.
were you feeling pain though and i think that makes sense because i've been though flu's where for days i just felt like i couldn't feel anything worse and i sit in bed.But my room mat gets up and goes out does work just cause she has too when she has the flu and then goes back to bed.
So do I, Sure I've gotten really bad ones, but even then I can move around and work on some less physical tasks.
My willpower punches holes through sickness and this hypothesis.