Poll: Who Here Has Played Bastion?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I played it for about a half an hour. I didn't dislike it, but I had no interest in continuing the game, which is weird since I intend to beat every game I get. Since my brother was the one who downloaded it, I guess I had no incentive to justify the purchase. I do want to try it again, but I haven't had the urge to do so.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
let me put it this way, super giant games has basically bought me for life.

the game was damn near perfect, i still go back to it and have completed it on every platform it is available on.

the sound track is one of my most played albums.

when i heard they where releasing a new game (keeping in mind they had said on numerous occasions that bastion was likely going to be there only game) I actually couldn't form proper words due to excitement haha.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I looove Bastion. In addition to solid, enjoyable combat and sweet art style, it has a mix of mechanics and story and metaphor at the end that made my jaw drop. The way they handle the idea of new game+, both how it is appropriate to the story, and the deeper sort of metafore underneath, was absolutely genius. On top of that, the voice of Rucks was worth the price of admission alone, AND I think it easily wins the award for best game soundtrack of all time. I meean...Build That Wall? Holy mother of god is that an amazing song. I'm pretty sure I literally just dropped my mouse when I heard Build That Wall.

Araksardet

Jun 5, 2011
Bastion was actually the game that made me decide to stop pirating games and start supporting developers, and the reason I joined Steam. I loved it to pieces, and am really, really looking forward to Transistor. Probably my favorite ARPG gameplay and favorite soundtrack of recent memory, and one of, if not the most beautiful art style I've seen in ages, not to mention an excellent story.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Bought it (several times), played it (several times), and I frequently advocate as the 2011 GOTY.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I did and thought that was freaking incredible. The setting, visuals, characters, soundtrack, voice acting is just through the roof!
And that final section with Zulf... damn that final section with Zulf... A shining example of just how strong of storytelling medium videogames are.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
It's one of those games I picked up, installed, played for half an hour while thinking "Wow, this is actually pretty good!"... And then proceeded to never touch again. The narrator was pretty neat and what I saw of the game was good, but I just had no drive to keep playing it for some reason.
Pretty much, except it took a playthrough of the demo for me to discover this, so I never spent money on it. I thought it was fun, but it just seemed a little too much like a dungeon-crawler to me, which I try to avoid at all costs.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I have the PC version and played it through twice.
I honestly like it quite a bit, if only for its uniqueness in the way it tells a story, though that is certainly not the only thing it does right.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I played it and thought it was okay. The gameplay was fun enough, for a hack and slash game and the narrator was a nice touch. Unfortunately it was another victim of over hype. I was really exited for the story because I heard it was really good and really emotional. in my opinion, however, it wasn't. It's pretty easy to make me cry, but this game didn't really make me feel anything. The story isn't bad, it's just...fine. Enough to keep you interested but not anything spectacular, and certainly not something you continue thinking about after the game is over. Hype aside, I'd say that if you enjoy hack and slash type games, it's certainly worth buying on sale

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Woot, I'm the only one who hasn't heard of it. Well, that's rather unfair, I've seen it on steam's store a whole bunch, but I don't know anything about it.

I take it that if I see it in the bargain bin I should pick it up, yes?

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
I got it in a humble bundle some time back but didn't really touch it for a good wile. Then I ended up playing it after an Ys marathon I was having in preparation for Memories in Celceta. Bastion was pretty much in the same gameplay vein as Ys 3,6, and Origin so I eased into it instantly.

Overall it was a pretty good game, no complaints worth mentioning. I'm a sucker for colorful 2D visuals and all that stuff, coupled with a great sound track an solid gameplay to sweeten the deal. I would have gladly paid full price for the game if I could have gone back in time to when I initially got it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I played the demo and it didn't leave much of an impression on me. I know demos aren't always representitive of the whole game - some demos are just badly thought out - but I've never been drawn enough to check out the full game.

There's also the issue that it's exclussive to Xbox and me still using an old 360 with a 12gig hardrive, which I'm already sorta playing "games musical chairs" with.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i bought it, played it about half way though, and just stopped playing it. its not because it was suddenly boring or too hard, i just didnt wanna play it anymore.

the narration is really really cool though, the game is very entertaining.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I played it and I loved it. Most of it, at least. The gameplay, sound, story direction, ending, etc. were all fantastic.

But the way the story was told drove me insane. Nothing against Logan Cunningham, who has an awesome voice and did a fantastic performance. It's just that hearing the story narrated in real-time, thirdhand, and by a character I didn't trust, was a perfect trifecta of things to completely destroy my immersion. It felt like I was trying to play the game, but someone kept reading bits and pieces of the novelization to me over my shoulder. And it didn't really help that the only character I could build an emotional connection to was Zulf.

On the other hand, the narration was great during the pure world-building segments (the training grounds, and in the bastion), during that jungle acid sequence (which was actually kinda freaky), and during the final level (when Rucks stops knowing what's going on, and I can finally claim some measure of agency for myself).

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Yep, played it, finished it, loved it. The game is just brilliant. Those kinds of games (top down... uh, supposedly RPG, but more of a fighter/shooter) aren't usually my thing, but the game's storytelling was so good, I didn't care at all, just had a blast :)