Poll: Who IS buying the Xbox One?

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
This might sound pretentious, but for me it's almost more about what the console represents than what it is. I don't want to support a company that tries to get away with placing anti-consumer policies on it's base, it's not the direction I want gaming to go in so I don't want to see the Xbox One succeed.

redhatman said:
I am probably going to get it but for the games only, not the console.
Sounds exactly like Yahtzee's 'games being held hostage' metaphor. It's sad that this is the best reason for buying the damn thing. I'd hold out if I were you since a console nobody buys will probably get less exclusives over time.

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
samwise970 said:
Anybody who follows the business side of this industry understands that the used games market is a legitimate concern for manufacturers, publishers, and developers alike.
It's certainly a concern for them. I'd like to see some actual proof that it's legitamtely harmful to the industry though.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Moonmover said:
Soxafloppin said:
If it helps, I have decided that I'm going to stop calling the Xbox One the "Xbone" since I'm aware of how annoying it gets to hear "Sport gamers are dumb; it's the same game every year derp a derp!" and "Spunglegargleweewee LOLOLOLOL" bullshit :)
I can't speak for anyone else who likes the system (But from the poll, there aren't any, so ... ), but I'm fine with it being known as "Xbone", considering I've seen it called the "Satan-box" by someone who seemed to be using the term seriously...
You somehow messed up the quoting, I didn't say that lol.

Jun 6, 2012
I'll be getting one eventually but not at launch. The games I'm looking forward to the most are Destiny, Titanfall and CoD: Ghosts. Titanfall and Ghosts will both be on PC, and all of my friends are getting the PS4 for destiny, so I'll be getting a PS4 to play it with them. I'll give MS time to work out the kinks and get a library going, but I'll get one eventually and especially for Halo 5 and GoW (what can I say, I like shooting things)

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
RomanceIsDead said:
Gears of War is my favorite console series of all time and that one game singlehandedly took up about 95% of the 10000s of hours I spent on the xbox even though I had a library of 20 some 360 games.

Once the next Gears of War launches on One I may consider the purchase.
I know how you feel. Dead Rising was my favorite franchise of the current gen. And it's killing me that MS has locked it up as an exclusive. And even more so that there seems to be a new direction in the tone of the game. I like that they went open world with it, but the darker, grittier, less humorous tone is not a boon. At least not for me.

That said, I still want to play it. But not enough to buy an X1. At least not early on. I'm patient. And I already pre-ordered a PS4.

But I didn't like the PS3 at launch either. And there is still one sitting on my shelf along with many games. The X1 will likely be there too eventually. Just not going to opt in early.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
The AmeriCanadian Gamer said:
I'll be getting one eventually but not at launch. The games I'm looking forward to the most are Destiny, Titanfall and CoD: Ghosts. Titanfall and Ghosts will both be on PC, and all of my friends are getting the PS4 for destiny, so I'll be getting a PS4 to play it with them. I'll give MS time to work out the kinks and get a library going, but I'll get one eventually and especially for Halo 5 and GoW (what can I say, I like shooting things)
some of the kinks i see won't ever be fixed since this look like a new path for them. i love halo but sadly not enough for me to get an xbox one

andymlc

Jun 12, 2013
I plan on getting one, but likely not when it is released. Currently my xbox 360 works perfectly well with my current tech setup at home to the point where I barely even touch my PS3. I want to see if the Xbox One will be an enhancement or if I should just stick with my 360 and buy a kinect.

As far as the console wars go, I'm quite indeferrent and find it rather stupid. If you like what the Xbox offers, get an Xbox. Same with the PS4. Judging anyone, even slightly, over a console choice is just mind boggling like most first world problems are. But of course, this is the intenet. Troll away!

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
samwise970 said:
Unless some major PS4 exclusives really push me over the edge, I'll be buying an Xbox One at launch, and very happily so. I'm really sick of all the hate out there. Anybody who follows the business side of this industry understands that the used games market is a legitimate concern for manufacturers, publishers, and developers alike.
And the solution should be punishing the consumer? Used games have been around since the start of the industry, not until now has it suddenly become a problem that needs to be fixed, and only by Microsoft apparently. Ya, not buying it. People should be able to sell games they no longer want to play back to the store, and if publishers don't like it they should work harder to make games people will want to keep.

Creating an always-online (or semi always-online) console allows PUBLISHERS to address this problem on a case-by-case basis, while improving the consumer-end of the experience (for those with constant connections, a significant market that will grow exponentially in the Xbone lifespan) by giving us already-installed, sharable games that interact seamlessly with our Television programs and internet apps 'n whooseits.
Making it REQUIRED that users maintain a connection, even to play single-player games that have no need for online connectivity, does not improve the consumer end of the experience. Microsoft has shown they'd rather throw a slice of their user base under a bus than work to make their system more flexible when implementing new technology. Evem if I had a constant internet connection, I wouldn't want it to be constantly hogged by a device that's using it for completely menial purposes like the XBox One will.

pheerless

Mar 13, 2012
I've owned both the PS3 and Xbox360 for a long-time. To be honest my 360 gets the majority of my play time. So much so that I have an original "fat" PS2 compatible PS3 that continues to live without issue, where as i'm on my 3rd 360(1 RRoD, 1 DVD drive failure). I'm not a fan boy of either but in the beginning I got the PS3 because I didn't like MS XBL-Gold charging to play online(blasphemy right?)... But as time went on I ended up with a 360 and just started playing it more. I think it may have come down to the 360's controller being more comfortable in my hands and not having to terrible wait times to install games/updates just to play a game(common on the PS3)...

However with MS announcement of their used game, DRM, and online persistence polices I have a feeling i'll be dropping MS as my console provider of choice. Sony came in strong to E3 and I can't see purchasing an XBO at this point considering all the downsides versus the PS4 and given the fact the nearly all games are cross platform these days.

My $.02

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
I'm picking it up. I was leaning towards the X1 before the Sony Conference, but seeing that Sony literally have no draw to me now that FF15 and KH3 are multiplat sealed the deal that I don't need a PS4 at all, unless they bring out a sexy Tales game down the line.

Everything Sony showed was multiplat...

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
mohit9206 said:
9thRequiem said:
I am. At least 1, possibly 2.
From the UK.

And yes, I do have very good reasons for picking this over the PS4. It's not just blind loyalty - it's legitimately the better choice for me.
How is it a better choice unless you are really into TV stuff. For TV xbox is better but for gaming PS4 is better.
Opinion. Not fact. Personally, I think the Xbox is better for gaming. To each his/her own.

I have preordered my xbox one, and I am from the USA.

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
Riku said:
Everything Sony showed was multiplat...

- Infamous: Second Son
- Knack
- killzone: shadowfall
- Drive Club
- The Order: 1886
- Deep Down (might not be exclusive, it's not confirmed for Xbox One though)
Pretty sure some of the indie games are exclusive as well (but being indie, they could end up on other platforms later so I'm not counting them in the above list)

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Considering? Yes, If I got a next gen console at all it would be an Xbox One. I have no problem with the required Internet connection, and I much prefer the exclusives. I'm only going to get one at/close to release if I can get some kind of trade-in deal with my current 360. Otherwise I won't bother or I'll leave it until the price comes down.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
I'll probably be grabbing 3 of the things. One for me, my dad will grab one for his house and one for our vacation house as well. I have solid internet, never trade in games, and don't give a shit about Microsoft employees watching me whack off. The XB1 has really lit a fire under my ass about getting a job, because now on top of college I have to pay for this. None of the PS exclusives make me want to buy their console, I'll probably just watch some LP's instead. For me the XB1 is the best, considering I have no knowledge of PC specs and rigs, and don't have the money to consistently update my hardware.

US of A.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
Riff Moonraker said:
mohit9206 said:
9thRequiem said:
From the UK.

And yes, I do have very good reasons for picking this over the PS4. It's not just blind loyalty - it's legitimately the better choice for me.
How is it a better choice unless you are really into TV stuff. For TV xbox is better but for gaming PS4 is better.
Opinion. Not fact. Personally, I think the Xbox is better for gaming. To each his/her own.

Well you do know that by supporting the Xbox One you are supporting Microsofts's dirty policies of used games restrictions,renting/loaning games,requirement of internet connection every 24 hours and so may more i cant even count. Sure its possible none of those things affect you, but by supporting them you are screwing over the gaming industry and people who love games.You should know that.

Peps

Jan 4, 2013
jim1398 said:
How is the offline mode arse? You download the game, you play it once to activate it, you set steam to offline, you play the game offline. I have never had a problem with it on any occasion I've had to use it. Regardless, whether it's good or bad is largely irrelevant, the point is, the option is there to play your games offline, something Microsoft don't offer.

Well clearly you have far more faith in Microsoft than I do. They aren't going to match the level of sales you can get with PC games, they just aren't. When Microsoft are offering virtually every new game with a 10% discount, offering games every single day of the week (with extra ones midweek and weekends) at 50%-75% and multiweek long sales 2 or 3 times a year where you can get a publisher's entire catalog of games for up to 80% off, I'll remove this point from the list. Until then, it's staying. (BTW, this is just a comparison to Steams sales, we'll ignore the fact I can often go to other online stores and buy a brand new PC game on the day of release for up to 50% off. How often could you say the same for console games?)

And? Just because Microsoft have always charged doesn't alter the fact that Steam doesn't. The point is that multiplayer being free through Steam goes some way to getting people to put up with the extra DRM.

Not on the same platform they don't. Microsoft have complete control over the Xbox. Steam doesn't have control over the PC. I could uninstall steam right now and still have access to plenty of games.

And you're missing the point. People put up with Steam DRM (they embrace the ease of it, not the DRM) because of the benefits it has and the benefits of PC gaming in general. The Xbox One doesn't provide those same benefits. So even if the DRM was the same (it's not), it's not a fair comparison to make because there are other reasons why people put up with it on Steam.
Just a disclaimer first against you highly immature folks who think everyone is "biased", I honestly couldn't give a toss about the PS4 or Xbox One or Wii U, because I have far too many PS2 games to finish first. The last generation honestly bored me and the only thing that has my interest so far next generation is KH3, which probably won't be released for a good few years still since it's in development. I'm personally looking forward to innovation on the PC, especially with stuff like the Oculus Rift coming out. I'm pro gamer, and I'm merely looking at the positive aspects of what companies are offering me here.

I'm not going to comment on offline mode on Steam, but personally I have no issue with the Xbox One having to verify content every 24 hours, because unlike Steam, it actually offers a way of selling games you own to other players. Seems like a good trade-off considering I'm on the internet every single day (honestly can't survive without it). It really doesn't bother me in the least, and I'm honestly not sure why it's a deal breaker for gamers. I don't bring my console with me on holidays, and the last time I was without internet, it was a power cut so I wouldn't have been able to play my consoles anyway. Sure, it's annoying being aware that I have to be online every now and then, but the added benefits of having my games on the hard drive without requiring disc swapping, and being able to bring my entire library of games over to someone else's place easily, etc etc, it's not really a deal breaker for me. As long as it enhances my experiences and doesn't interfere with my ability to jump into a game, then it's a great thing.

A business is not going to price themselves out of competition. If a company does that, they will lose. Microsoft are not idiots and have been playing the business game for a very long time. They're smarter than both you and myself. Let's talk about very basic economic concepts here. As demand goes up, the price comes down. Basic economic rule right? The demand of new games is going to increase significantly on the Xbox One, therefore the price will drop significantly. Games are a luxury good, so the demand of games is fairly elastic, meaning that Microsoft cannot maintain high prices for games if they want to make money. It just can't happen. That's why Steam constantly has all of their Steam sales, and their able to get away with those sales because there's no such thing as used games on PC. Microsoft are most likely going to adopt the same business strategy, because it's common sense. Let's also bare in mind that iOS/Android don't have used games either, and they have ridiculously cheap prices.

Remember, used games are killing the games industry. I'd strongly advise watching TotalBiscuit's video, as he pretty much explains used games very well, and it's honestly one of the best videos I have ever watched on the internet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_f8YBy39M It's a very important issue for indie developers in particular. As a software developer myself, I would not want to release my application on a platform where one copy can go around several machines. It's a big reason why publishers may eventually start publishing exclusively to the Xbox One, because it gives them protection, rather than them having to set up their own protection. Do we want games like Diablo 3 or SimCity where the publisher's servers are highly unreliable? I would not be surprised if we reached a point where, just like the Wii U, people started complaining about the PS4 not having any games.

Also, I don't think you understand what competition is. Microsoft are competing against Sony and Nintendo. If you want to play games that are available on Xbox One only, then Microsoft are going to get your money. However, if Sony tempt you more, then you're money is going to go to Sony. That's competition. You're argument is the equivalent of saying that The Escapist has a monopoly on The Escapist news articles, or that Apple has a monopoly on iPhone products and that Android is not their competitor. Microsoft want your money, and they don't want Sony or Nintendo to get it. That's competition.

But anyways, to summarise, people need to realise that there are huge benefits to blocking used games. I'm very disappointed in a lot of gaming websites in not being objective or speculative on the topic. They just to want to grab as many clicks as possible I guess. It's a disgrace to journalism really. We have plenty of evidence to suggest that blocking used games means cheaper new games, which of course is highly pro-consumer, and not anti-consumer in the least. Not giving developers any protection is very anti-developer, and personally I want to support game developers so that they can continue to make more titles and begin to make innovative risks. Although remember, before any immature reader starts ranting about being "biased", I have no intentions of buying any console this generation, because I honestly couldn't care less.

Jun 6, 2012
Tony2077 said:
The AmeriCanadian Gamer said:
some of the kinks i see won't ever be fixed since this look like a new path for them. i love halo but sadly not enough for me to get an xbox one
When I say kinks I just mean the inevitable downtime and server-side issues they will have at launch from such a system.

Automaton539

Jun 12, 2013
Peps said:
there's no such thing as used games on PC.
I am sorry, I REEEEEEAAALY didn't want to get involved in this argument, I was having too much fun watching it unravel but I REALLY have to correct you on that point. I dare say 90% of my disc-based PC games were given to me by my friend. I'm pretty sure that counts as a used game, right? Something that was used, played then given/sold to someone else? Maybe? You, um, wanna check out the definition of used game there peps? Huh? Maybe you wanna um, check your facts a little bit there? Make sure you're not spouting bull?... NAH, of course you don't. Oh well... I guess I'm involved now.

Oh and for the record. The satanbox (thanks 9th Requiem) wil most certainly not be finding a place in my home. Never mind the DRM, or the kinect, or the used game policy. Even without those the sheer arrogance of Micro$oft basically telling people to f**k off and get a 360 if they don't have a reliable internet connection would have done it for me even if I had been intending to buy it before that. - Uk by the way.

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
Peps said:

First of all, I don't appreciate the implied insult, I just don't see why that's necessary in any way at all. Second, please point to where I made any attempt to claim you were biased. I merely said that you clearly have more faith in Microsoft to offer more sales (which is true), if you took that as me implying that you were biased then all I can say is that absolutely wasn't my intention.

Now, on to the actual points,

Yes, the Xbox One still offers a way to trade in and play used games while Steam does not. However, even before Steam, there wasn't a used market on the PC. For years now, the vast majority of stores have refused to allow you to trade in PC games, this is not something that Steam changed. The Xbox however is bringing in restriction in a market that never had them before and I'm sorry, but do we honestly trust Microsoft enough to expect them to take it no further than this if it's shown that we're willing to accept it? As for being able to play games from your hard drive, I'll say this right now, that's a great feature. Why do I need to connect every 24 hours to be able to use it though? Steam lets me play my games from my hard drive without having to be online, so why can't Microsoft? Why can't it be an optional extra? Why can't they give me the option of staying offline in exchange for having to use the disk? There are ways they could have given us this feature without imposing restrictions on us.

Granted there's no such thing as used games on the PC, but there is piracy, far more so than on consoles. I'm pretty sure piracy is as much a threat to the PC games market as used games are to the console games market. So how can Steam afford to run those big sales when it's under constant threat from piracy?

I like how you state that used games are killing the industry as if it's clearly fact. Please, show me the proof that must exist showing that the used market is killing the games industry because all I have ever seen is conjecture and hearsay. If it is killing the industry, it's taking it's sweet time over it, used games have been around since the 80's and the industry is worth more now than it's ever been.Also,
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124906-EA-Claims-To-Have-No-Problem-With-Used-Game-Sales
Hmm, EA don't have a problem with it apparently, strange that.

No, I understand what competition is, you just missed the point. Steam has to compete with others on the same platform (it even has to compete with other with games that require steam), as well as having to compete with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. That means that they have to offer a high number of incentives to get people to buy from them (hence their sales). Microsoft have a much smaller number of competitors and they aren't competing with anyone on their platform. That means they don't have as much need to offer as many incentives as Steam do. BTW, I'm not making this out to be some massive issue or a huge point, it's simply a small way in which the Xbox one will differ to Steam.

Finally, if you're going to resort to more implied insults, I'm done with this discussion.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
mohit9206 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
mohit9206 said:
9thRequiem said:
From the UK.

Well you do know that by supporting the Xbox One you are supporting Microsofts's dirty policies of used games restrictions,renting/loaning games,requirement of internet connection every 24 hours and so may more i cant even count. Sure its possible none of those things affect you, but by supporting them you are screwing over the gaming industry and people who love games.You should know that.
First, I asked the gamestop owner about the used games policy, and considering he has a vested interest in the deal, he actually said it wasnt a big deal. It just hasnt been explained well, and he said its not really going to affect anything we are currently doing now, and it wont really be any different. Sure, thats not going to be enough to convince you, but he actually seemed a bit knowledgable on it, and I think there is most likely some truth to what he said. Second, I have been supporting the gaming industry since PONG, so I dont need someone trying to tell me the first thing about gaming, and harming the industry. Are you really so brain dead that you want to see the Xbox go out of business? If you do, you need to look in the mirror, because it would be YOU that would be hurting the industry and gamers alike.