Nov 26, 2008
Riff Moonraker said:
mohit9206 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
mohit9206 said:
9thRequiem said:
I am. At least 1, possibly 2.
From the UK.

And yes, I do have very good reasons for picking this over the PS4. It's not just blind loyalty - it's legitimately the better choice for me.
How is it a better choice unless you are really into TV stuff. For TV xbox is better but for gaming PS4 is better.
Opinion. Not fact. Personally, I think the Xbox is better for gaming. To each his/her own.

I have preordered my xbox one, and I am from the USA.
Well you do know that by supporting the Xbox One you are supporting Microsofts's dirty policies of used games restrictions,renting/loaning games,requirement of internet connection every 24 hours and so may more i cant even count. Sure its possible none of those things affect you, but by supporting them you are screwing over the gaming industry and people who love games.You should know that.
First, I asked the gamestop owner about the used games policy, and considering he has a vested interest in the deal, he actually said it wasnt a big deal. It just hasnt been explained well, and he said its not really going to affect anything we are currently doing now, and it wont really be any different. Sure, thats not going to be enough to convince you, but he actually seemed a bit knowledgable on it, and I think there is most likely some truth to what he said. Second, I have been supporting the gaming industry since PONG, so I dont need someone trying to tell me the first thing about gaming, and harming the industry. Are you really so brain dead that you want to see the Xbox go out of business? If you do, you need to look in the mirror, because it would be YOU that would be hurting the industry and gamers alike.

He does have a vested interest in it, but maybe not in the way you think he does. Gamestop actually stand to benefit from this restriction on used games because it's going to remove much of the competition. If only selected retailers can trade used games, then we're obviously going to see a lot of smaller independent stores not selling them, nor will sites like eBay and craigslist (at least not to the degree they currently sell used games. honestly, how many do you expect will be willing to put people on their friends list for 30 days just to sell/buy a game slightly cheaper than at gamestop?). That means more people are going to be buying their used games from Gamestop and even with whatever fee the publishers charge, I'll be extremely surprised if they stand to lose money from this.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Zenn3k said:
34 people? Hahahaha

There isn't a single thing about the xbone that appeals to me.

PS4 on the other hand, really really appeals to me.
3 hours later...you're up to 50! This is comical.

Peps

Jan 4, 2013
Automaton539 said:
Peps said:
there's no such thing as used games on PC.
I am sorry, I REEEEEEAAALY didn't want to get involved in this argument, I was having too much fun watching it unravel but I REALLY have to correct you on that point. I dare say 90% of my disc-based PC games were given to me by my friend. I'm pretty sure that couns as a used game, right? Something that was used, played then given/sold to someone else? Maybe? You, um, wanna check out the definition of used game there peps? Huh? Maybe you wanna um, check your facts a little bit there? Make sure you're not spouting bull?... NAH, of course you don't. Oh well... I guess I'm involved now.

Oh and for the record. The satanbox (thanks 9th Requiem) wil most certainly not be finding a place in my home. Never mind the DRM, or the kinect, or the used game policy. Even without those the sheer arrogance of Micro$oft basically telling people to f**k off and get a 360 if they don't have a reliable internet connection would have done it for me even if I had been intending to buy it before that. - Uk by the way.
Please tell me what these disc-based PC games are.

I haven't seen a disc-based PC game in several years.

jim1398 said:
Peps said:

First of all, I don't appreciate the implied insult, I just don't see why that's necessary in any way at all. Second, please point to where I made any attempt to claim you were biased. I merely said that you clearly have more faith in Microsoft to offer more sales (which is true), if you took that as me implying that you were biased then all I can say is that absolutely wasn't my intention.

Now, on to the actual points,

Yes, the Xbox One still offers a way to trade in and play used games while Steam does not. However, even before Steam, there wasn't a used market on the PC. For years now, the vast majority of stores have refused to allow you to trade in PC games, this is not something that Steam changed. The Xbox however is bringing in restriction in a market that never had them before and I'm sorry, but do we honestly trust Microsoft enough to expect them to take it no further than this if it's shown that we're willing to accept it? As for being able to play games from your hard drive, I'll say this right now, that's a great feature. Why do I need to connect every 24 hours to be able to use it though? Steam lets me play my games from my hard drive without having to be online, so why can't Microsoft? Why can't it be an optional extra? Why can't they give me the option of staying offline in exchange for having to use the disk? There are ways they could have given us this feature without imposing restrictions on us.

Granted there's no such thing as used games on the PC, but there is piracy, far more so than on consoles. I'm pretty sure piracy is as much a threat to the PC games market as used games are to the console games market. So how can Steam afford to run those big sales when it's under constant threat from piracy?

I like how you state that used games are killing the industry as if it's clearly fact. Please, show me the proof that must exist showing that the used market is killing the games industry because all I have ever seen is conjecture and hearsay. If it is killing the industry, it's taking it's sweet time over it, used games have been around since the 80's and the industry is worth more now than it's ever been.Also,
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124906-EA-Claims-To-Have-No-Problem-With-Used-Game-Sales
Hmm, EA don't have a problem with it apparently, strange that.

No, I understand what competition is, you just missed the point. Steam has to compete with others on the same platform (it even has to compete with other with games that require steam), as well as having to compete with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. That means that they have to offer a high number of incentives to get people to buy from them (hence their sales). Microsoft have a much smaller number of competitors and they aren't competing with anyone on their platform. That means they don't have as much need to offer as many incentives as Steam do. BTW, I'm not making this out to be some massive issue or a huge point, it's simply a small way in which the Xbox one will differ to Steam.

Finally, if you're going to resort to more implied insults, I'm done with this discussion.
There's no implied insult if you have no intention of calling me biased. If you're not going to resort to calling others biased for being objective and speculative and for saying something positive, then you have my utmost respect. Other people are reading my posts, not just you. It's a pre-emptive strike against those who plan to be disrespectful to me. If you're not one of them, great, let's debate.

I agree that Microsoft probably can be flexible on the 24 hours system. As a consumer I do understand why it's annoying, but it's never going to affect me in the least. However, do note that Steam do have a similar mechanism in place, something like two weeks I believe last I checked. Even then, each time you install a game you have to verify the content. But in order to provide all of these cloud based features, including being able to sell your games to others, they probably have a good reason for selecting 24 hours. If they allowed you to not install the disc to avoid the 24 hours, their whole strategy is destroyed, and it would not be appealing to developers.

Steam has defeated piracy on the PC, by offering a far better service. As Gabe Newell has constantly said before, you view piracy as a competitor, not as criminals. You can either have a crippled copy of a game for free, or a fully functional version of the game with Steam features for say ?10. Steam has converted many people from piracy to legitimate customers, simply because of the cheap prices, and the great cloud-based system it offers. Because of Steam, publishers are no longer scared of developing for the PC, and you have a significant boost of indie developers. You're still going to have a minor portion of the market who are so resistant to paying money, but otherwise, piracy is a very insignificant factor on the PC these days. Indie developers as well, just by talking to pirates, have converted them to paying customers. Used games is a far bigger problem because it's more far appealing than the original product. There's no wear and tear for used games, and you're still able to access all of the features, just like the original product. Pirated products usually have severe disadvantages, and that's why piracy is easier to defeat.

You're using a multi-million dollar company who owns very big IP that sell out day one, as evidence that used games are not a problem. Really? Here's a random article to support my claim: http://www.teleread.com/chris-meadows/used-games-killing-game-industry-game-developer-claims-what-about-used-books/ It's common sense really. Seriously, watch the video I linked in the previous post. It explains it perfectly and it's very logically. There is no business incentive for developers to want to allow used games. Give me one reason why a developer should want to support used games. Why on earth would an indie developer, who needs all of the sales they can get, should support used games?

Again, you're arguing that Netflixs is competing with itself because House of Cards is a Netflix exclusive, even though there are other competitive streaming platforms. Steam similarly also has exclusive titles such as Arma 3, same with Origin. Microsoft need to offer a ridiculous amount of incentives at the moment, and reducing prices of games just like Steam does would help that. If they don't need to reduce their prices, then damn, that's clearly one attractive console Microsoft have and fair play to them for being able to charge high prices on their console despite used games being blocked. That's basically what you're saying.

In short, Xbox One is pro-developer by protecting developers and giving them an incentive to publish exclusively to their platform, and it is also pro-consumer because consumers will most likely have great sales and significantly cheaper games, and developers being less scared to create more great content.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
jim1398 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
mohit9206 said:
Riff Moonraker said:
mohit9206 said:
9thRequiem said:
I am. At least 1, possibly 2.
From the UK.

And yes, I do have very good reasons for picking this over the PS4. It's not just blind loyalty - it's legitimately the better choice for me.
How is it a better choice unless you are really into TV stuff. For TV xbox is better but for gaming PS4 is better.
Opinion. Not fact. Personally, I think the Xbox is better for gaming. To each his/her own.

I have preordered my xbox one, and I am from the USA.
Well you do know that by supporting the Xbox One you are supporting Microsofts's dirty policies of used games restrictions,renting/loaning games,requirement of internet connection every 24 hours and so may more i cant even count. Sure its possible none of those things affect you, but by supporting them you are screwing over the gaming industry and people who love games.You should know that.
First, I asked the gamestop owner about the used games policy, and considering he has a vested interest in the deal, he actually said it wasnt a big deal. It just hasnt been explained well, and he said its not really going to affect anything we are currently doing now, and it wont really be any different. Sure, thats not going to be enough to convince you, but he actually seemed a bit knowledgable on it, and I think there is most likely some truth to what he said. Second, I have been supporting the gaming industry since PONG, so I dont need someone trying to tell me the first thing about gaming, and harming the industry. Are you really so brain dead that you want to see the Xbox go out of business? If you do, you need to look in the mirror, because it would be YOU that would be hurting the industry and gamers alike.

He does have a vested interest in it, but maybe not in the way you think he does. Gamestop actually stand to benefit from this restriction on used games because it's going to remove much of the competition. If only selected retailers can trade used games, then we're obviously going to see a lot of smaller independent stores not selling them, nor will sites like eBay and craigslist (at least not to the degree they currently sell used games. honestly, how many do you expect will be willing to put people on their friends list for 30 days just to sell/buy a game slightly cheaper than at gamestop?). That means more people are going to be buying their used games from Gamestop and even with whatever fee the publishers charge, I'll be extremely surprised if they stand to lose money from this.
True, thats a good point. I wonder how it will affect something like Gamefly?

Automaton539

Jun 12, 2013
Peps said:

Soul reaver
Soul reaver 2
Neverwinter Nights
Black and white
Divine Divinity
FEAR
Soldier of Fortune
Codename: Outbreak
Unreal Tournament 2003...

Each of these games I have on disc, plus considerably more, would you like me to list more? Yes, mostly they may be old, that doesn't stop them being disc based PC games.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Automaton539 said:
Peps said:
there's no such thing as used games on PC.
I am sorry, I REEEEEEAAALY didn't want to get involved in this argument, I was having too much fun watching it unravel but I REALLY have to correct you on that point. I dare say 90% of my disc-based PC games were given to me by my friend. I'm pretty sure that counts as a used game, right? Something that was used, played then given/sold to someone else? Maybe? You, um, wanna check out the definition of used game there peps? Huh? Maybe you wanna um, check your facts a little bit there? Make sure you're not spouting bull?... NAH, of course you don't. Oh well... I guess I'm involved now.

Oh and for the record. The satanbox (thanks 9th Requiem) wil most certainly not be finding a place in my home. Never mind the DRM, or the kinect, or the used game policy. Even without those the sheer arrogance of Micro$oft basically telling people to f**k off and get a 360 if they don't have a reliable internet connection would have done it for me even if I had been intending to buy it before that. - Uk by the way.
while it may not be the same when it comes to stores it dead as can be, thank you cdkeys.

steam and origin didn't help matters any

Peps

Jan 4, 2013
Automaton539 said:
Peps said:

Soul reaver
Soul reaver 2
Neverwinter Nights
Black and white
Divine Divinity
FEAR
Soldier of Fortune

Each of these games I have on disc, plus considerably more, would you like me to list more? Yes, mostly they may be old, that doesn't stop them being disc based PC games.
They're old, there you go. We're obviously talking about modern times here where the market has drastically evolved since. But let's just rephrase my sentence to keep you happy...

"there is no such thing as used games on PC anymore"

And honestly, it was the best thing to ever happen to PC gaming, because it completely revolutionised it.

Darklord008

Dec 14, 2011
I will. When I absolutely have to. By that I mean that when a game comes out for the Xbone that won't also be coming out for the 360, I will buy the Xbone. So I don't expect to buy for at least 6 months after release.

The only issue that really affects me is the used games block thing. I'm a broke-ass college student now, so I typically buy used unless it's my birthday or a holiday, but I'm hopefully gonna have a job by then, so I can hopefully buy new more often. The online thing is a non-issue for me, since when I'm not at home (with a good connection) I'm at school (with a great connection). Plus, I'm more intrigued by the games shown for the Xbone (IndyCars in Forza 5? HELL YES.), and I'm fine with the other features it's got, and I can take or leave the Kinect.

I can certainly understand everyone's concern/righteous fury at the Xbone, but I just feel it's a better fit for me. I'm from the US, by the way.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
if Microsoft releases Shenmue 3 as an exclusive, then I'll consider it, otherwise, probably not

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I am most likely going to buy one, but it won't be my first priority (that would be either the 3DS, the WiiU or the PS4). I also won't be buying it on launch, but then again the same holds true for the PS4.

The reason for this is that I don't really feel like paying 500 euros for a video game console and therefore I'm probably going to wait a few years or until it gets a price drop.

My main reason for getting an Xbox One is the exclusives, because for me the primary function of a console is to play games and nothing more.

I'm from Denmark btw.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
So much nope.
Gonna have to let my gamerscore grow cobwebs, cause I'm not touching that thing unless there are some drastic changes

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Not gonna happen for me unless either Microsoft completely turns things around about the Xbox One (I also refuse to call it an Xbone. Reminds me of those people who like to use words like "Obummer" as if strawmen make valid arguments) or I become a professional reviewer sometime down the line (I doubt it). The consoles already have to convince me to get them as someone who's shifted towards PC gaming, so it's an uphill battle from them. The restrictions of the Xbox One combined with that price tag just scream "NONONONO!!" to me, though admittedly it does have a couple interesting exclusives like Sunset Overdrive. Still, the PS4 looks nice and even managed to snag Don't Starve as well as being cheaper all around, not infamously having the gall to ram ads into a paid service (Xbox Live anyone?), not devoting resources to unnecessary features, and being less restrictive all around. The Wii U is also seeming kinda interesting with some pretty interesting games, which makes the Xbox One look all the worse by comparison.

Also, only one option on a poll is silly.

BlackMageBob

Nov 28, 2009
Automaton539 said:
Peps said:

Soul reaver
Soul reaver 2
Neverwinter Nights
Black and white
Divine Divinity
FEAR
Soldier of Fortune

Xbone's gifting/lending system will replace your direct-physical trades.

Read that last line again.

That is goddamn beautiful. I don't buy used games, I don't sell old games, hell, I barely buy console titles anyway. I pick up a few exclusives here and there, and buy everything else for PC. I don't live near any of my uh...old buddies, or my family members who play games. This functionality is spectacular for us.

If Microsoft wants to stop selling games and only sell licenses, especially with a usage contract that open, I'm fucking game.

jim1398

Nov 26, 2008
Peps said:
There's no implied insult if you have no intention of calling me biased. If you're not going to resort to calling others biased for being objective and speculative and for saying something positive, then you have my utmost respect. Other people are reading my posts, not just you. It's a pre-emptive strike against those who plan to be disrespectful to me. If you're not one of them, great, let's debate.

I agree that Microsoft probably can be flexible on the 24 hours system. As a consumer I do understand why it's annoying, but it's never going to affect me in the least. However, do note that Steam do have a similar mechanism in place, something like two weeks I believe last I checked. Even then, each time you install a game you have to verify the content. But in order to provide all of these cloud based features, including being able to sell your games to others, they probably have a good reason for selecting 24 hours. If they allowed you to not install the disc to avoid the 24 hours, their whole strategy is destroyed, and it would not be appealing to developers.

Steam has defeated piracy on the PC, by offering a far better service. As Gabe Newell has constantly said before, you view piracy as a competitor, not as criminals. You can either have a crippled copy of a game for free, or a fully functional version of the game with Steam features for say ?10. Steam has converted many people from piracy to legitimate customers, simply because of the cheap prices, and the great cloud-based system it offers. Because of Steam, publishers are no longer scared of developing for the PC, and you have a significant boost of indie developers. You're still going to have a minor portion of the market who are so resistant to paying money, but otherwise, piracy is a very insignificant factor on the PC these days. Indie developers as well, just by talking to pirates, have converted them to paying customers. Used games is a far bigger problem because it's more far appealing than the original product. There's no wear and tear for used games, and you're still able to access all of the features, just like the original product. Pirated products usually have severe disadvantages, and that's why piracy is easier to defeat.

You're using a multi-million dollar company who owns very big IP that sell out day one, as evidence that used games are not a problem. Really? Here's a random article to support my claim: It's common sense really. Seriously, watch the video I linked in the previous post. It explains it perfectly and it's very logically. There is no business incentive for developers to want to allow used games. Give me one reason why a developer should want to support used games. Why on earth would an indie developer, who needs all of the sales they can get, should support used games?

Again, you're arguing that Netflixs is competing with itself because House of Cards is a Netflix exclusive, even though there are other competitive streaming platforms. Steam similarly also has exclusive titles such as Arma 3, same with Origin. Microsoft need to offer a ridiculous amount of incentives at the moment, and reducing prices of games just like Steam does would help that. If they don't need to reduce their prices, then damn, that's clearly one attractive console Microsoft have and fair play to them for being able to charge high prices on their console despite used games being blocked. That's basically what you're saying.
Might be an idea not to include that under a direct quote next time, sends out the wrong message. I have no intention of calling anyone biased unless they say something that is blatantly biased.

I'm not suggesting they should offer the option for every single game, but there is absolutely no reason for the option to not exist. If a game has cloud based features, then fine (it's likely going to require a constant connection anyway, depending on what the features are exactly), but surely not every game is going to have cloud features. It makes no sense to force people online to play those games. As for needing to have it to sell your game to others, surely they could have made it so that you have to go online for that transaction and then once it's done, you're free to go offline again. Believe me, I absolutely understand that online is needing for certain features, I just don't see why we had to have it completely forced on us when it would have made far more sense to make it optional (even if it ultimately isn't much of an option because of cloud or whatever). If anything, making it optional would have actually made this whole thing a positive for the Xbox One instead of being used as a negative. If they had come out and said 'You can install your games to the hard drive and then play them completely offline. Naturally, you're going to need to connect for certain features, but if a game doesn't require it, you're free to stay offline', I can guarantee you would have had people praising them for it.

Steams defeated piracy on the PC? Are you sure about that? Please explain this then,

how about this,

They seem extremely high for something that has been defeated

How is me using EA any worst than you using conjecture and hearsay as evidence? The link you provided is evidence of nothing, there are no hard facts in that, it's just one persons claim that used games are bad. If the used games market is so obviously killing the industry as much as is being claimed then surely there must be some hard evidence of this somewhere. You claim it's common sense, but is it? I can easily claim it's common sense that the used market doesn't hurt the games industry (or at least isn't what's killing it). For a start, as I said earlier, used games have been around for decades. Why has it only now become something that's 'killing the industry'? Wasn't it killing the industry back in the 80's? If it was, why is the industry still around and worth as much as it is? If used games are killing them industry, it's one of the slowest deaths I've ever seen (on par with the death of PC gaming I'd say). Also, from that very article you linked to, gamestop claim the used market is generating $1.2 billion of trade. Would you care to provide figures stating how much the used games market costs the industry? We'll compare them and see just how much it is costing the industry. Finally, why do we not hear this from any other industry that has a used market? Are used cars killing the car industry? Used books killing the publishing industry? Are the movie studios calling for the end to second hand DVDs? No, because it's not an issue in those industries and never has been. So what is it that makes the games industry special? Why is used killing this industry and none of the others?

BTW, how many indies go physical these days? I'm not seeing that many retail boxes for indie games in my local stores. Seems to me, the vast majority of indies go digital, where used games aren't an issue at all. So it's just the guys who have a physical product, normally the guys who have a publisher behind them, a publisher like EA...who just said used games aren't an issue. How about a smaller company, like CD Projekt Red,

they don't seem too concerned by used games, stating that they believe in the freedom of choice and that they are looking for the most gamer friendly solution. I doubt that's likely anything that limits the use of used games.

If you can provide actual, indisputable evidence that used games are killing the industry, then great, I'll change my opinion immediately and join the fight to stop them (BTw, just so we're clear, I don't believe they are particularly good for the industry either, I just refuse to accept that they are killing it).

Arma 3 isn't exclusive to Steam, I can buy Arma 3 direct from the developers and when it's released I expect I'll be able to buy it from other sites when it's released. Just because I have to play it through steam does not mean it's exclusive, I am free to buy it from wherever I want and Valve will never see a penny of that money. That's the point, I can buy PC games and Valve will never see a penny, even if it uses steam. Microsoft know that if you buy a game on the xbox, it's going to see a return. That doesn't mean I feel they don't have to offer any incentives to get people on their side (they absolutely do), but I think it does mean they aren't likely to offer the same amount of incentives that Steam does. I'm done arguing this point since it's such a small and insignificant point of my post. If it makes you happy, fine, remove it from the original list since I just feel it's derailing the main point anyway.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
No real reason to buy the Xbox One. For one, they aren't going to have any support from the japanese studios. Second, the disc installation is pointless because if I want a game on the system hard drive I can just pay and download it off the PS network. Third, the PS4 has pretty much all the streaming services that I'd be using. Fourth, it doesn't require an internet connection or 24 hour check, so when I travel and get stuck in a place with a spotty connection I can still play the games I have on disc and on the hard drive. Fifth, I don't have to carry around a ridiculous eye toy that is always at least passively on.

Jinxzy

Jul 2, 2008
I will not be buying an xbox one, I also won't get a PS4 until a few months in. I would like to get one on day one but I still want to wait and see what happens. I still have a back log on games to play on my systems. Until I knock down that list then I'll pick one up.

I really wished xbox one would have been better, since some of my friends are fans and getting it because it's xbox. Which means I don't know if I'll be able to play with them anymore. But getting a system that makes me lose my consumer rights to own and sell my own object I bought. Also to blame developers is pretty low.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
neither are exactly must haves for me. the mutiplatform games are the only ones i really want to play. ryse is the only exclusive that really looked interesting to me (well and project spark, but i dont usually get very in to blank slate games where you have to make your own fun). since i dont buy used games and the drm doesnt really bother me, it will all come down to whether xbox has enough quality exclusives to justify paying the extra $100. ill probably buy one or the other, but ill be waiting to see which one has a better library before i make a purchase

edit:
hahaha i just looked at the poll. maybe you should have made it a yes or no sort of poll. who would have thought that 100% of escapist users want an xbox one :p

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
My brother who's younger then me by 1.5 years. He honestly doesn't care about the disadvantages that the XBone has, and neither he nor I are really Playstation fans, so that's why he's getting the XBone. I'll end up playing on it, specifically for Kingdom Hearts III.

Sep 24, 2008
Peps said:
I'm sorry to pop into this argument, but as you being a software developer, you have an input that most people do not have and it makes your opinion a very interesting one in my opinion.

And I do see your arguments and the validity of them, but as a pure consumer and as a person who works in a semi 'ip' field, I can easily say the Microsoft's policies are deplorable to me, and I will not support them in anyway.

I do understand the used game market is killing the industry. I do. I have never bought a used game. That isn't hyperbole. Not once in my life. I am not apart of this plague that has fallen game designers, but all of a sudden I am to pay for it? Others are? The practices reek of that old grade school tactic of when two naughty boys misbehave, the teacher punishes the class. We might look at those kids in disdain, but we tend to hate the teacher more because we didn't do anything.

Microsoft pushed out a malfunctioning product in the xbox one. My super nintendo still works. My PS1. My PS2. My computer. My freaking gameboy. Three months ago, I refused to give Microsoft any more money as my fourth xbox 360 RRoD'ed. The same company that puts restrictions and constant check ups on me assuming that one day I'll go rogue and pirate their games bleeds myself and others dry (when our warranties run out) to get another system is trying to reign me in on pirating and underhanded tactics.

This is starting to get onto a hate diatribe, and that doesn't solve anything. The bottomline is that there is a problem with used games apparently (I don't dismiss yours or game developers claims, I just never did it so I don't really know how rampant it is). There has to be a better way to solve it than to make your consumers latched onto you and dependent on your whim to play what you paid for.

As I've said in other threads, my current way of putting food in my mouth is personal training. My very living depends on giving people results and making them feel like they are in charge. There are certainly plenty of people who take one or two free sessions and try to do that ad nauseum to get results. But in all honesty, if I approached those people and told them that they are forbidden from doing my routines without my permission, everyone would have looked at me cross eyed. I would have loss clients because I would seem laughable. Intellectual property or no, if you make yourself look like a controlling ass, people are going to have less sympathy for you. Microsoft did that with a lot of gamers.

Now, I'll easily bare in mind that the difference between work out routines and game designs are apples and quantum string theory: Vastly different. The money and time that goes into game design, it has to come back. Very much understood. But even ANYONE saying that they'd buy a Xbox One and willingly give up their rights just to play a few games shows the positive that people are willing to support products they believe in. I might question their decision, but I support them supporting what they believe in. Good for developers or not, the Xbox One very handily put up a big middle finger to their consumers and told them that they are going to like it.

Hell, I just put down 35 dollars on a free to play game because I liked it so much, I wanted to support it. Going to put more down after I'm done with this. Kickstarter and all the games that are out there shows very much that people are willing to support what they believe in. If used games are the problem, then Microsoft needed to make a solution that didn't support just two aspects in the business model (The developers and them), but it needed to think about the consumers. If we do not feel supported by those sides, why should we put our money down for what is a luxury item?

I never want to hurt games. I was brought up with games. My first system was a Colecovision. I was messing with it when I was two years old. It is as much of a part of me as my freaking race. I want to support what has been a lifelong journey. But when a company says I'm going to focus on the other side while restraining you, checking up on you, and making what you shelled out hundreds of dollars for a brick the second we decide to go to the Xbox Two... why should anyone who's just a consumer put up for that?

My last point is this. I put down hundreds of dollars for the zune hd 32 gb [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.409339-Right-Price-for-the-Xbone?page=2#17122374]. Owned by Microsoft. They were trying to break the iPod's hold with no success. I put down money for certain features and I expected them to be on it. Apps, internet, Whatever. When Microsoft decided to shut down the Zune line, they reached into their code and took away our abilities to add apps to our Zune. We got them, they are still on our computer. And we paid for the very right to use apps on our Zune. But when they decided they were done, they took that right away from us. Why support a company who acts like a little child and runs away with his ball because he wasn't picked to play?