Poll: Who is your favorite Mass Effect Characer

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
It's easier to list the characters I don't count as a favorite.

-Kaiden (don't hate him, but he's only alive in one of my 3 ME files)

and... oh. Right. Jacob. Again, I don't really dislike him, I just kind of forget he exists half the time.

I enjoyed the ME1 cast, and absolutely adore the cast of 2. They were all well written and interesting, and keeping them alive through the end made those hours of planet scanning worth it. However, I do favor some over the others...

My ME1 party, at least in the most current run, was strictly Garrus and Tali from the moment I had them. ME2 runs... I often kept Garrus and Mordin as my team until I got Thane, then it was him and Garrus. Sniper trio FTW. (For the record, I voted Thane, I figured Garrus and Tali had enough votes already.)

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Disturbed by the absence of Liara, since that would have been my first choice.
In ME1, she was my "love interest" BOTH for my MaleShep and FemShep.

Mildly miffed by the absence of Legion, since that would have been my second choice.
I mean, come ON, an actual walking, talking, thinking artificial intelligence ?

From the available ones, considering both games out so far, it's a tough choice between Tali and Garrus.
My MaleShep ME2 love interest, Tali did take a (slight) level in badass, but she's still a bit... ahem... fragile.
My FemShep ME2 love interest, Garrus was already a badass (think "Dirty Harry"), but he took several more levels in between ME1 and ME2 (think "Batman"). Which is borderline a bit much for a non-protagonist.
Really tough choice.

No vote cast for me on this poll. Yet.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Garrus all the way. I killed Wrex on Virmire, so never really got to know him that well.

Cat of Doom said:
Wow, i'm the only one who found Ashley one of the most deep and complex character's in video game history it seems.
Nope, me too. I wouldn't say she's the best out of all of them, but she definitely doesn't deserve all the flak she gets. Her moralising gets annoying at times.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Garrus, and the Illusive Man.

[small]And the search bar :/[/small]

Why the Illusive Man?

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Shepard?

Wrex in ME1 and Garrus is ME2, he was a bit of a ponce in the first one.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Garrus, Wrex, Mordin and Joker.

Granted Joker is just the pilot but he does add decent comic relief.

DreadfulSorry

Feb 3, 2009
Garrus. I'm working on my first playthrough of ME 2 (didn't buy it till a few months ago) and my Shep is going to HIT THAT. <3

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
Hagi said:
Samara.

I love strong, confident and independent women. She's one of the few characters I can say I genuinely respect.

In addition to that I found her 'romance' to be very touching and the best in the series.

My only complaint would be how sexualized she was. Her assets really were over the top and her outfit was just one step above a chain mail bikini. I wouldn't have minded at all if she'd been a lot more toned down.

But her personality and attitude I find great.
I went with Samara as well but I wouldn't have been able to explain why as well as you did rofl.

Tibike77

Mar 20, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Why the Illusive Man?
Not to break your stride or anything, but, if you read the 3rd Mass Effect book ("Retribution") and you have been keeping up with what we already know of the plot of ME3, you'll probably change your mind a bit.
Specifically,
The Illusive Man gets his hands on some Collector//Reaper tech even if you blow up the base - the canon ME2 line - and does some pretty unsightly things with it (keeping up with the "ruthless" approach to scientific testing witnessed in ME1).
Oh, and he pulls a form of "you have outlived your usefulness" on Shep, so you're kind of against him in ME3 anyway. But at least he already took a beating from Anderson and a rather large group of Turians, and is in a much lesser position of power than in ME2.
(don't click if you hate any spoilers).

Ava Elzbieta

Mar 22, 2010
Kaidan's my hands-down favorite (and one helluva handsome bastard too), but since you couldn't fit them all, I voted for Garrus.

Surprised you put down Samara as an option and not Mordin. The best moments of ME2 came from him, between his surprisingly in-depth and emotional quest, his impersonation of Gilbert & Sullivan, or the classic advice he gives before you, erm, embark on a romantic voyage.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Wrex.

Shepard.

Scintilating chats aside Wrex is my favourite out of those listed. Yeah he starts of as a Proud Warrior Race cliche but it doesn't take long for his conversations to subvert that, and at times he's extremely funny in a dry way.

Overall though, and excluding Shepard herself, I'd say Mordin Solus - cool, hilarious and (especially in his loyalty mission) deep and rather moving.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Hmm
Garrus
Thane
Kasumi
Legion

I generally always like the sniper / thief / assassin characters anyway, of which these four fall in to - it just so happens that, on top of that, in their own merits, they're brilliant characters too.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Tibike77 said:
Not to break your stride or anything, but, if you read the 3rd Mass Effect book ("Retribution") and you have been keeping up with what we already know of the plot of ME3, you'll probably change your mind a bit.
Specifically,
The Illusive Man gets his hands on some Collector//Reaper tech even if you blow up the base - the canon ME2 line - and does some pretty unsightly things with it (keeping up with the "ruthless" approach to scientific testing witnessed in ME1).
Oh, and he pulls a form of "you have outlived your usefulness" on Shep, so you're kind of against him in ME3 anyway. But at least he already took a beating from Anderson and a rather large group of Turians, and is in a much lesser position of power than in ME2.
I'm aware, I just like the character and the video is just funny. Anyway I hope he's the villain in 3, the series needs another Saren.

Because let's face it, Harbinger is no where near as cool or menacing as Sovereign, the Illusive Man is.

Miggiwoo

Aug 7, 2011
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Tibike77 said:
Specifically,
I'm aware, I just like the character and the video is just funny. Anyway I hope he's the villain in 3, the series needs another Saren.

Because let's face it, Harbinger is no where near as cool or menacing as Sovereign, the Illusive Man is.
I laughed at the video, the idea of the Illusive man cutting a rug on the dance floor of Afterlife is great!

I voted Tali, I especially like the evolution of her character between 1&2. I think that the Quarian and Krogan backgrounds are the most interesting, as they are the two races that seem to be the most ostracized, and face real racial extinction/genocide. I think Wrex was by the far the most interesting (and useful) companion in ME1, but Tali takes him in the sequel.

It's a difficult call though, the ME universe is full of interesting characters and races. Saren is my number 2 bad guy behind Sephiroth.