Poll: Who still watches Extra Credits?

Denariax

Nov 3, 2010
They still exist? The instant they left here they just kinda vanished from my care meter, and Unskippable soon replaced them. Which is awesome.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I haven't seen it on the front page in a while actually...
I would watch it otherwise.
Maybe the time I spent on Skyrim got in the way.

Etherian87

Feb 7, 2011
Rex Dark said:
I haven't seen it on the front page in a while actually...
I would watch it otherwise.
Maybe the time I spent on Skyrim got in the way.
its on penny arcade now, also Fluttershy is totally the best pony!

MetricFurlong

Apr 8, 2010
Yes, although the last couple of episodes have been very weak. I guess that's to be expected when James decided to just spend them going off on tangents about sci-fi in general despite not having anything of substance to say about it.

Ovoon

Feb 10, 2011
Yea, I've seen every episode.

I got to meet James at PAX, and I was at the panel when they announced the PA.TV thing. I really like those guys.

Guardian of Nekops

May 25, 2011
Extra Credits is awesome, and I absolutely tracked them down when they left here.

Anyone who enjoys thoughtful commentary on games and their role in society from a positive persepective should absolutely look them up. On Penny Arcade, or at least that's where I found them.

They're not everyone's thing, I guess, but I really like them. Give 'em a watch, why doncha? :p

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
JochemDude said:
Nope, they get like over 100k for Allison surgery and right after that they complain about not getting money and say "Well we're keeping all this money, but we're gonna bail now so fuck you". Could be interesting to watch no doubt, be I'm not doing that on principle.
Pretty much this, I've watched some of their episodes since but I haven't shaken the feeling of betrayal after I contributed along with countless other Escapists, then they left this site for no reason (the Escapist backed down, paid them and said they could keep the money). Plus I felt the show went downhill while it was here as they ran out of good topics to talk about.

forthwallbreaker

Sep 5, 2011
I think that Extra Credits leaving the Escapist was the best thing for the show and the gaming community. Sorry. But its true. If they didn't leave then less people would pay for Allison's shoulder and less money would be left for the Extra Credits Indie Fund. (I am going to buy 2 copies of every one of their games.) This Fund can revolutionise the way developers work on games and change games forever.

'Nuff said.

Ravariel

Mar 13, 2010
Well, the poll itself certainly belies the tone of the thread so far. I certainly still watch it, and while the tone-shift of the Gaming Addiction episode was stark and not on an issue to which I could really relate, I can see it for it's value to others. Similarly, I can watch shows like The Biggest Loser or Horders without being the target audience and still appreciate the message. I have a few theories about why the responses in here have been what they are, but as they are pure speculation, I'll keep them to myself. Suffice it to say that I think there are some other underlying issues behind a lot of the words being posted.

EC may be the single most important web show dedicated to gaming on the web right now. YMMV as far as enjoyment and entertainment, but an objective look at the topics and the way in which they are handled show this to be true. I'm not much of a fan of Mozart, but I recognize his genius and his contributions to the medium. Not that EC are comparable to Mozart, but I think you get my meaning.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I still watch it at times.

I agree that it's rather pretentious but there's some interesting stuff in between.

Just please, let them never do an episode like the 'games ruined my life' whinefest again.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
I have been watching Extra Credits before it even had a name, from there days on Screwattack.com when it was just Daniel Floyd and his school projects. So yes I still watch them.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Comrade_Beric said:
After a massive out pour of support back when the schism first happened, I have noticed a gradual drop-off of people mentioning the show. I'm curious to know if this is because people have simply stopped talking about it, or have people actually stopped watching EC?

Personally, I watched the show religiously every week when they were here and I did follow them to Youtube, but I got massively turned off of the show when James hijacked two whole episodes to talk about how he used to play games so much that he didn't function as a human being. The humor was gone, the intelligence was gone, the whole show had become a forum for James to lecture us about how terrible games had been for him... I have not watched a single episode since. What about you guys? Are you still watching the show or did you lose interest?

(Here's hoping for a poll that doesn't get eaten [Edit: huzzah!])
Yeah, those two episodes where James had some sort of public therapy session really put me off as well. Sorry James, but I'm really not interested in watching you blubber about your feelings on YouTube.

Since then I've seen one or two episodes over at Penny Arcade or wherever it is they are now. They were good episodes actually. Maybe I'll go watch some more next time I'm bored.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
No, simply because there was a gigantic decline in the quality of the episodes in the first month. And I remember getting really annoyed about how they based about three episodes on the idea that games aren't addictive.

Which is totally wrong according to the evidence. Which is when I lost respect for their opinions & stopped watching.

darthmj94

Jan 19, 2010
I still watch it. they have opinions and I enjoy hearing what they think about games and there effect on culture.

as for the episode with james talking about game compulsion it was an emotional thing for me. I have a brother with the exact thing happening to him.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Von Strimmer said:
Yes its informative in the same way that Gears is a first person shooter (quote).
Oh, wow, one mistake, and a minor one at that. At the end of the day, the only difference between the FPS and TPS sub-genres is that one shows your weapon on the screen and the other shows your character. Otherwise they can play pretty much the same.

And I'm saying this as someone who's been playing FPS games since 1993.

Von Strimmer said:
In my opinion it is very preachy what with the whiny voices and that god awful games ruined my life James episode.
A high-pitched voice does not make it whiny, nor the video series preachy.

And the point of that episode was never that games ruined James' life. It was that James used games as a means of avoiding his real problems and not having to deal with reality... and that it was never too late to stop running and start dealing.

Von Strimmer said:
Nothing wrong with Jim he is just as informative as extra credits (burn) only more humorous about it. Seriously though its a goddamn 5-10 minute internet show, at the end of the day who the fuck cares. There are many more pressing issues than declaring undying fealty and loyalty to an internet show...

In my opinion :D
I like the Jimquisition series, but it's hardly anywhere near as informative or thoughtful as Extra Credits, and there have been several occasions when he's too blinded by his own biases to realize that he's spewing nonsense through our speakers.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Battleaxx90 said:
Wait, it's still running?

LINKS. NAO
Links for everyone! Hurray! [http://penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits]

OT: Yep, still watch it. Was one of my favorite shows here, you bet I would follow it to wherever it goes. Did the same thing with Unforgotten Realms.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I used to watch EC but then I took a...no...I can't do it. Yes I watch it and the reason no-one talks about it here is because it isn't here to talk about. I related to the GA episodes because I underwent a similar thing with Civ II.