Poll: Who still watches Extra Credits?

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
gideonkain said:
I was wondering about them, I found them again on Penny Arcade and caught up on the back episodes I missed, but oneday they were on the Escapist the next they weren't, was there some kinda falling out?
You remember the donations they got for repairing alison's arm. Well they got a lot more than they needed and the escapist wanted to take the money that was left from them. (I think somethink like that, i am not critizising the escapist here, but that's what i heard)
So they left the escapist, were on youtube for a short time and then got to penny arcade.
What they're now doing with the money, is that they want to support some game developments that seem good. When the game makes money they split the money 50:50 with the game developer and when they make profit they use that profit to suppport another game development.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
gideonkain said:
I was wondering about them, I found them again on Penny Arcade and caught up on the back episodes I missed, but oneday they were on the Escapist the next they weren't, was there some kinda falling out?
This post pretty well sums it up.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.331581.13460906

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
AdmiralMemo said:
SUPER SNIP!!
Okysho said:
Where's the goddamned voice acting episode!?
They mentioned in their Desert Bus interview [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRyKYSa1jaU] that they're still working on getting actual voice actors for that episode.

That was almost purely for humorous purposes. I actually sent them an e-mail asking them if they would like a contact for a voice actor within the vancouver BC area that I know.

Never got a reply... maybe I should send it again...

Captcha: 7:32, ripowi. Where's ripowi and what's significant about 7:32pm?

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
JochemDude said:
Nope, they get like over 100k for Allison surgery and right after that they complain about not getting money and say "Well we're keeping all this money, but we're gonna bail now so fuck you". Could be interesting to watch no doubt, be I'm not doing that on principle.
That's not how really how it happened. The Escapist wanted a cut of the donation money and the EC guys didn't approve of that. Also I seem to recall them saying that if anyone who donated wanted their money back then EC would give it back.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
I still watch it occasionally, although not as much as I used to.
It doesn't surprise me that nobody's talking about them anymore around here, it's been a few months since they left and there's really nothing left to say.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
Jumpingbean3 said:
JochemDude said:
Nope, they get like over 100k for Allison surgery and right after that they complain about not getting money and say "Well we're keeping all this money, but we're gonna bail now so fuck you". Could be interesting to watch no doubt, be I'm not doing that on principle.
That's not how really how it happened. The Escapist wanted a cut of the donation money and the EC guys didn't approve of that. Also I seem to recall them saying that if anyone who donated wanted their money back then EC would give it back.
The Escapist allowed EC to put up adds all over the site to boost donations. The money brought in was huge. The Escapist basically wanted a cut large enough to cover how much they owed EC. Essentially, the Escapist team thought they'd vastly increased the amount of money brought in for the fund raiser and that EC was going to be using the money to fund the show. This is fine, all it meant from the Escapist perspective was that their allowing EC to advertise on the site (and thus raise lots of spare cash) entitled them to enough money to pay of EC, so everything would be square anyway.

James cried foul and demanded to be paid anyway. EC got tens of thousands of spare dollars *and* paid by the Escapist in the end. Oh, and they still packed up and took off, even after keeping all of the donation money /and/ being paid in full on top of that.

Cypher10110

Jul 16, 2009
spartan231490 said:
Why would I ever not. It's the best online show I've found. I'm kinda sorry that those two episodes failed to reach you, but to each their own I guess.
I feel 100% the same way. It's a great show, and each episode is different, and I'm sure the topics will stay as varied and interesting as they have always been. I think that, while not perfect, the personal 121 style was appropriate for that topic. It worked and I got the message.

Only thing I dislike is having to actively remember to "go watch the new EC" as it's not in-my-face during normal daily browsing. I guess alot of other regular viewers would say the same thing.

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
Could you give me a link to that? I'm not sure how to feel about it if it's true. On the one hand it does sound kinda douche-y given that The Escapist helped them out but on the other hand the donation money was meant to finance Allison's surgery and later a non-profit publishing company which essentially made it charity money which I feel makes this kinda ambiguous. Plus it might have been nice if The Escapist had discussed this with EC before hand and maybe they did do that but judging by the way it all happened it doesn't seem like it.

Either way I still watch it. Sure it may get a little bit preachy but not enough to ruin an episode for me and I don't really remember anything giving me a sense of pretence about the show. Yeah some people may feel betrayed that they left but I don't have a big issue with going toa different site to watch their videos. Also the game addiction episodes were a one time thing and since then it's been business as usual.

ThePerfectionist

Apr 5, 2010
My God, people are polarized on this shit, aren't they? I suppose that could be said for almost anything, and I'm certainly guilty of it myself, but wow, I had no idea that the Game Addiction episodes had caused such a stir. I'm not going to fan the flames by adding my own opinion, so I'll stay on topic.

I love EC. I watch it the day it comes out (often waiting until then to watch that week's Checkpoint so I don't have to make two trips to PA's ugly video site), and I find it interesting and informative, even occasionally funny, even if I don't always agree with their opinion. I believe they are truly trying to do a good thing, and as someone that generally over-analyses the crap out of everything, the detail they provide that I had no idea existed (i.e. their episode on the pacing curve) is mind-blowingly fascinating.

And now, before I succumb to the temptation to tell you people exactly what I think about the GA episode or their leaving the escapist and starting their own company, farewell.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Comrade_Beric said:
Jandau said:
I watch every episode. It's a great show and I'm glad it's still on. I try not to pass judgement regarding the EC/Escapist brakeup since I've heard compelling arguments from both sides and don't care about it enough to try and dig deeper. Shit happened, it's sad, I love both the show and the site, so I just enjoy both.

That being said, what I'd like to know is why ENN left The Escapist. For those of you who may have missed it, ENN didn't disappear. It moved to Penny Arcade TV (where Extra Credits is now) under the name Checkpoint. What puzzles me is that the people making it (Graham, Kathleen, etc.) are all still doing stuff on The Escapist, so it's not like there was some huge falling out there as well. Then why the hell did ENN move?
Escapist ended ENN because the Escapist was short on cash and needed to cut a few shows (like Lisa Foiles' show). Second, ENN wasn't as popular around here as you might think. Months later, PA came to the LRR guys and asked if they'd be willing to do a show for them. LRR thought it would be a cool idea and asked what PA wanted. The guys at PA said something to the tune of "Well, we really liked ENN, could you do that?" LRR then turned to the Escapist and asked if that would be alright. Russ Pitts said something to the tune of "Sure, I mean, we cancelled the show, so there's no hard feelings if you can find another sponsor for it."

And, thus, CPt was born. ENN didn't "leave" and PA wasn't trying to headhunt them away from the Escapist. ENN was cancelled and the show was dead for months before PA approached the team about making a replacement on their site instead. It isn't a competition. There's no reason LRR can't work for both sites.
No no no, don't get me wrong, I wasn't implying that there was foul play by any side. Heck, I mentioned that there WASN'T any foul play as far as I knew. It's just that I was kinda "WTF?? o_O" a couple months ago when EC moved to PATV and when I went there I found something called Checkpoint that had already been on for 20-30 episodes and was essentially ENN. It's been bugging me since then but I never got around to asking about it, so I took this thread (being tangentially related through PATV) to try and clear that up. Thanks for the answer :)

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Rex Dark said:
I haven't seen it on the front page in a while actually...
I would watch it otherwise.
Maybe the time I spent on Skyrim got in the way.
I used to be a regular watcher like you...Then I took an arrow to the knee.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
From what I heard the whole EC-Escapist-thing was a result of some horrible miscommunication. Apparently the Escapist owed EC money for a lot of episodes, and then the confusion starts as to who owes who what in terms of the advertisement and whether or not they should get a cut from the rockethub-money. I can't quite remember exactly what happened though, and sources from both sides are obviously biased.
Anyways, any claim that "it's a dick move to leave with my money" can be countered with the fact that they've, as far as I remember, explicitly said that they'll return any donated money that people feel isn't used for the intended purpose anymore.

As for watching the show? Yup. While I can agree with others here that James has been derailing the show a couple of times recently(or more precisely the last two weeks, I didn't mind the second compulsion episode that much though I hardly watched it), the creators really love the videogame medium and generally know what they're talking about. There might be a certain preachyness which can turn some people off, but there's usually* some humility from their part as well. I also tend to agree a lot with the stuff that they say.

* no, the Call of Juarez did not involve any sort of humility, but seriously, can anyone say that was uncalled for(pun not intended)?

Landfish_Attack

Dec 15, 2010
To everyone complaining about the Games Addiction episode being all about how "Game ruined James' life", I question if you actually listened to it, the point of that was that games are a problem for some people, but that problem can be overcome, he just found it easier to relate to people by using himself as an example, and if games really had ruined his life, he probably wouldn't be doing what he does now.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Why do I get the feeling this is going to open that can of worms again and we'll see these threads everywhere again? -.-

Anyway, I stopped watching when they left. Just too lazy to follow them to Penny Arcade, a site where I'm not even a member. Besides, it's freed up my Thursdays for not internet things begging the Escapist site to bring back Doraleous and Associates!

CWestfall

Apr 16, 2009
Comrade_Beric said:
After a massive out pour of support back when the schism first happened, I have noticed a gradual drop-off of people mentioning the show. I'm curious to know if this is because people have simply stopped talking about it, or have people actually stopped watching EC?
I didn't mind James' two episode hijacking so much as I minded going to university. That severely cut into my "watching videos about video games" time each week. So I stopped watching right about the same time as you, but for different reasons.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
JochemDude said:
Pretty much this, I've watched some of their episodes since but I haven't shaken the feeling of betrayal after I contributed along with countless other Escapists, then they left this site for no reason (the Escapist backed down, paid them and said they could keep the money). Plus I felt the show went downhill while it was here as they ran out of good topics to talk about.
If you're talking about the donations for Allison's surgery they had a system in place for a refund if you didn't like the purpose they decided would be best for the excess money
JochemDude said:
The surgery money and the money they were supposed to be getting paid by the escapist were two totally different things, I can't really give much information about it because it was quite awhile ago, but to the best of my knowledge they didn't steal anyone's money or even do anything wrong and I think what they are doing with the excess surgery money is a really great idea.

OT: I don't watch EC every week because I always forget about PATV existing, but when I do remember I hop on and catch up on every episode. I've always really enjoyed the show, even when I didn't agree with it.