Poll: Who still watches Extra Credits?

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I still watch it. The reason people don't talk about it is because its not here. Why talk about something that isn't here anymore? Talk about it where it currently is.

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
I did like it, but I think it still irks me too much to continue watching. The obsession with games as art got taken infuriatingly far; and while games can be artistic and fun at the same time, that doesn't mean all of them should. It's like saying the Mona Lisa makes idle doodles in a margin pointless. Also, I couldn't stand the things that, If I recall correctly, they would read into games that clearly didn't intend to include them. Yes, X might be a Christ-figure if you squint really hard, but I'm fairly certain that's not what Mario is about (example may be exaggerated and not real).

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
I stopped watching it for a while after the debacle between EC and the Escapist, but I've gotten back into it. I wish their episodes still released on a Thursday, though. There's nothing I watch on a Thursday anymore.

I must admit, I'm surprised at the amount of disapproval of the Gaming Addiction episodes. While the second episode dragged on a little (at over 25 minutes!), it was very interesting listening to such a story. I didn't feel like I'd wasted my time or anything like that, and it did the most important thing a show like that can do; it made me think. Here was someone giving his story, his life experience, in order to show us how gaming compulsion can come about. For once, it wasn't something preachy, but something personal and subjective, and in a way kept up the neutrality of the show by showing us that people aren't always wrong if they believe games aren't entirely harmless. I appreciated that.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
ABLb0y said:
I don't watch it anymore. Not after they called me racist for liking Call of Juarez: The Cartel. Let me straighten this out: I like it because it's fun to play with my friends, not because you can shoot Mexicans.
I'm quite sorry that they made you feel racist, but the episode's message is spot on: If you are going to use a incredible difficult and violent, ongoing conflict for the setting your game, you have better do it properly and with intelligence. No one argues against fun, but something wanting to be fun can never be an excuse to throw ethics out the window. I understand and respect your thinking that you want games to exist in a vaccum dimension where everyhting's fun and nothing matters, but considering the relevance the medium is gaining in new genereations and its role in creating a world view, vaccum world cannot exist for games dealing with touchy subjects. It's about thinking beyond ourselves and culture of egotism and unacountability that was been built up through the years.

Yet, I see that you have a definite view of things, I won't try to change that. It just saddens me that you didn't get the very important point made throughout that episode and jumped ship based on that.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
I watch every week.
The episode the OP is talking about (on Penny Arcade it is just 1 LONG episode) is the only one of its kind. The rest are like they always were.

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
I picked "never watched it in the first place" even though the real answer is "watched a few episodes, it was total crap, and so I stopped watching it outside of playing it to annoy friends".

Aug 1, 2010
I watch it whenever I can.

Still has great info and great writing.

Two things to the people here.

1) Look up what pretentious actually means. EC is not really pretentious at all. A bit preachy maybe, but not pretentious.

2) OP, keep watching. I agree that the thing James did sucked, but it got much better.

Also, I'm a bit surprised at the hatred flowing out of this thread... You may not agree with what they were saying, but calling it horrible in terms of production is just silly.

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
ABLb0y said:
I don't watch it anymore. Not after they called me racist for liking Call of Juarez: The Cartel. Let me straighten this out: I like it because it's fun to play with my friends, not because you can shoot Mexicans.
Wait, wasn't there an achievement for killing black people in the game though? I mean, like literally. Something to do with there being a level with all black enemies in it and you get an achievement for killing a certain number of them. The only achievement in the whole game based on number of people you kill and the only level where there are only black people as bad guys. A good friend of mine actually had to stop playing the game when he earned that achievement on the first try. He put down the controller and said (literally) "Okay, at the point where I'm specifically being rewarded for killing black people, it's time to draw a line." He turned the game back into gamestop the next day for credit.

I've never seen whatever episode you're talking about, but my friend is one of the most easy-going "I just want to shoot stuff!" gamers I know, and if he couldn't stomach the game anymore, then EC isn't just calling the game racist. The game really is racist.

Akyho

Nov 28, 2010
Comrade_Beric said:
After a massive out pour of support back when the schism first happened, I have noticed a gradual drop-off of people mentioning the show. I'm curious to know if this is because people have simply stopped talking about it, or have people actually stopped watching EC?

Personally, I watched the show religiously every week when they were here and I did follow them to Youtube, but I got massively turned off of the show when James hijacked two whole episodes to talk about how he used to play games so much that he didn't function as a human being. The humor was gone, the intelligence was gone, the whole show had become a forum for James to lecture us about how terrible games had been for him...
I found it recently about 8 months ago. I was enjoying it, Then the whole Rockethub thing happened. Before that I was getting a little awkward with it all.

Allison has her medical issues which was major. The community throws enough money to cover her medical in no time. Excellent! How ever...you can still donate...the bar is going up and up....now we are 3x the medical bill. I was thinking they should have took that down sooner. It kept going and going and going. I was getting anxious. They were profiting waaaay too much.

Then the escapist drops them, There is cloak and shadows. When the first response from EC was "Escapist is wanting some of that money." I was thinking "I dont think Escapist has much right to that money...neither do you."

As it went on. it seemed like there was a huge miscommunication however James had shut it down asap and said "I wont talk until I get my Lawyer. oh here he is, still not gonna talk!" It became childish on James part.

Escapist was no saint either. However they were coming off as the lesser of two evils. Then I found out....James made an Indie Games company or sorts. followed with I am glad I can now live my dream as a games developer speech. They hut my stop listening to them button. It was wrong. I cannot agree with them at all. I watched an episode or so. I started to get angry at it all.

I do not like how they went about. It was very messy on both sides but EC chose all the buttons to rub me the wrong way. I do not like it.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Nope, I liked it at first but the more I watched of it the less I liked it and the situation with the escapist was basically the final nail in the coffin and I haven't watched any episodes since and I will not watch anymore.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Father Time said:
Yes, although I'm annoyed that they got sidetracked for 2 or 3 episodes.
Talking about an important video-game related issue does not constitute getting sidetracked; it's what they DO. But, at least you didn't decide to abandon the show in a huff because you didn't care for one topic.

Unless you're talking about the Sci-Fi thing, not the Game Addiction thing; in which case I completely agree with you. :p

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
Semudara said:
Father Time said:
Yes, although I'm annoyed that they got sidetracked for 2 or 3 episodes.
Talking about an important video-game related issue does not constitute getting sidetracked; it's what they DO. But, at least you didn't decide to abandon the show in a huff because you didn't care for one topic.
I was under the impression that Father Time was talking about something more recent. People keep talking about how James seems to have hijacked the show again and they're not even talking about games at all at the moment.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I wasn't TOO turned off by the 2 parter. I was hoping he would go more on the defensive about how not every gamer is an addict waiting to happen (as a way to justify gaming better to my wife) but obviously showing her those would have done NOTHING to help my case. I still watch it, but I do wish that they would release on Thursdays like they did here, as opposed to Wednesdays like with ZP. I loved how every day of the week all the series I liked had new episodes. Nowadays there's nothing on Thursdays. That drinking show makes me want to cut myself to release the douche chills I get while watching, and the No Right Answer just rubs me the wrong way. The premise is promising, but executed poorly.

ubersyanyde

Dec 9, 2011
I still really enjoy the show. They know what they're talking about and the points of discussion are quite interesting, if not veering off topic slightly.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
Yes. Yes I do still watch Extra Credits.

Not as much as I used to, of course, since now it's on another site... and I don't really troll around the internet too much... but when I happen to be in the neighborhood, I catch up on everything I've missed.