Poll: Who would you have wanted to develop the actual KOTOR 3?

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
The recent news about TOR going free-to-play caused me to start thinking about how much of a complete waste of the KOTOR name that it turned out to be, especially since I rather doubt they'll go back, retcon the MMO and do it properly.

So now, in my sorrow at the death of the IP, I'm going to begin some speculation about who would have made a better third game; Bioware or Obsidian?

I think the second game was vastly superior to the first in every way except for the bugs and the content that was cut to mmeet the deadline, though both of those have been more-or-less fixed by the patches and restored content mod. Therefore, I'd say the third game would be better off in Obsidian's hands.

What about you guys?

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Obsidian by far. Their writing on the 2nd game was absolutely fantastic, but looking back on it, outside of the twist, the writing on Kotor was kind of just passable IMHO.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Sutter Cane said:
Obsidian by far. Their writing on the 2nd game was absolutely fantastic, but looking back on it, outside of the twist, the writing on Kotor was kind of just passable IMHO.
Especially when you play the two games in a close time frame, the differing quality of writing and characters becomes painfully noticeable. KOTOR 1 is a really good game, but 2 is just superb.

OT: Obsidian of course, assuming they actually got the proper amount of time to make the game this game. I wouldn't mind though if Bioware did 3 though, I'm sure I'd enjoy it.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
*shrugs*

I'd play either.

I came late to the KOTOR party so the first time I played them I did play both games back to back (before the KOTOR2 restored content mod was available) and at the time I definitely thought the first game was the superior one. Yes Obsidian wrote a more subtle, nuanced and interesting story but the first game trounced it in every single other area.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
I say Obsidian. I am not sure which KotOR I like more, but I don't trust Bioware these days. They have 2 seriously bad strikes and 3 strikes your out. I don't want the 3rd strike to be KotOR. Obsidian however is sstill making good games like Alpha Protocol and New Vegas.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Obsidian, easily. They are my favorite developer, and KotOR II ranks as one of my favorite, if not my undisputed favorite, games of all time. I can think of no one else worthy of the task.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
You need a 3rd option. Old Bioware. The current, EA ***** slave Bioware would just screw it up somehow. But if Obsidian had enough time I might be ok with that. I enjoyed the gameplay alot more in KOTOR 2 but did not enjoy any of the story or the characters (HK and T3 do not count as they were made by Bioware).

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Obsidian, but only if they're actually given enough time to make the damn thing, and the publisher actually does some QA on it, instead of releasing it as a buggy mess in order to make deadlines.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I've always thought that Obsidian was vastly superior to Bioware. KOTOR 2 was just better than the first game in just about every way, and I'm personally a big fan of Obsidians other works.
Incidentally, I never had any glitches in KOTOR 2, wasn't actually aware that any existed.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Obsidian, because of superior writing. With enough time and resources, who knows how excellent a game they could make. I already really like their games, but sadly a lot gets cut, whenever a new title of theirs is released, usually due to time constraints. I'd really like for them not to have that, for a change.

Also, it would be a continuation of the lore established in KotOR 2, instead of a complete retcon, which is what TOR has done >.>

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Obsidian by far, because they have a knack for turning things upside down in a good way.
However they need to have full funding or leave it be all together, KoToR 2 was shoved out the door far before it's time and the last section just pissed on the entire experience.

The Bioware of today does a good job in the Hollywood style hits but I rather like quality details more then big flash.

yaydod

Nov 29, 2011
Obsidian, those guys make stellar story's but never have the time to polish/finish their games.
I hope one day LucasArt won't be ruled by blood thirsty psychopaths, that Obsidian will be able to buy the rights for 1 game with no strings attached, and then deliver us KOTOR3 finished with everything polished to a shine. :snif:

I CAN DREAM CANT I? :sob:

I think that Kotor2 is way better than the first one since they were able to stray away (as much as the franchise allows) from good/bad choices and the content patch is finished, so all of you should buy the game, install the patch and play it, NOW.

Captcha: live with purpose. Yeah, every one needs a purpose, but this chimera is not worth chasing.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Obsidian. I love both KOTOR games, but for different reasons. The first was made without a deadline, so you got a well crafted, highly polished game that had excellent presentation and felt like a complete package.

KOTOR II didn't feel like a complete game (it wasn't), and it was significantly rougher around the edges, but it still managed to shine brightly in spite of its myriad of flaws. When compared to Nu Bioware, Obsidian wins out, because their games still continue to engross me even when they function poorly, while Bioware's games fall flat on their face when they run out of time.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
I want KOTOR 3 done by BOTH of them- BioWare does the tech stuff and gets the gameplay done, Obsidian does the writing and plot. It's a better plan then Drew killing our hopes, at any rate.

Also, Ubisoft to publish, since they're the only publisher that gets making games right (IE: Don't just throw money and set stupid deadlines).

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Obsidian.

Not only was the writing better in 2 than 1, but the atmosphere was better, the quests were much more interesting too and they used the existing Star War mythos much better.

Also the gameplay was more fun, with all the new skills and classes and stuff.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
The only bad thing about Obsidian's take on the Force in KOTOR II was that George Lucas and Lucas Arts decried their deep analysis of the Force. George wanted to keep it simplistic enough for 5 year olds to understand.

George's target age demographic is children under 10. I was in that demographic when the original movie came out in the 70's.

But before I come across as another whiny fanboy raging about George Lucas ruining my life by interfering with KOTOR II--HE DIDN'T.

I totally GROK George's desire to keep the Force simple, even if it limits richer story lines for adults.

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Oh, God, Bioware. The Sith Lords was a game embarrassed to be a Star Wars game. It had awful, unlikeable, shallow, one-note characters and it made absolutely no goddamn sense when you took five minutes to think about it. Obsidian should -never- make a sequel to anyone else's product. They fucked up Neverwinter Nights 2, they fucked up KotoR 2.